Scaffolding and repointing

Options
Michelleae
Michelleae Posts: 2 Newbie
I'd be grateful for some advice on costs of scaffolding and repointing, I am in the process of buying a flat and it has come up as potential future works. I don't have much in the way of detailed information as I don't yet own the flat.

I am trying to find out how much it might cost to repoint a 12 flat, two storey (ground, first, second floor) 1970 purpose built block of flats. I expect scaffolding is needed with at least two levels. The building is wider than it is high. That's pretty much all the info I have. Flat is in Croydon, Surrey.

I can't do a link as I'm a first time poster and the site bots stop that but here is a broken link that might work, has a picture of the front of the property on right move

. Rightmove .co.uk/property-for-sale/ property-60466157

I have asked seller for details but she says it's only planned for summer 2017 and estimated will be got in the new year. So I either withdraw my offer - and God I don't want to do that as this is flat number three that has fallen through and I'm £4k out of pocket and I think I may have to give up being a home owner as I can't do this again :(:(:(:( - or take a punt and see what happens. But Potentially this leaves me exposed to thousands of pounds, and I don't have that so could be unable to pay and lose the flat when I become in debt to the freeholder management company. I know scaffolding is not cheap and repointing is time consuming and a bit dull so it could be expensive.

Any thoughts? Help? At least a scaffolding estimate? How long would it need to be up for and what it might cost in rental?

I know the information I can give is not enough but I don't know what else to do so would appreciate any advice, if not, I guess I live in rented accommodation for ever as I can't do this a fourth time. :(.

Thank you

Comments

• Michelleae
    Options
    Hi Garry

Thank you so much for the reply, that is really helpful! One of the questions I have asked is how much of the building is being repointed so it's really helpful to know that I've at least asked a good question of the seller and chances are it is going to be part rather than all.

Thanks for the other advice on potential cavity wall. Definitely something to bear in mind. To be honest I'm of the view repointing is a good thing as it will protect and maintain the building, I just don't want several thousands expense in the first year as I'll be skint!

Thank you so much for your reply which does make me feel a bit better that at least I'm asking the right sort of questions!

Have a good eve

Michelle
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family