Travel insurance question.

Options
My family were due to go to Florida on Monday with my parents and my brother and his family. My sister-in-law was found to have a broken hip yesterday and is due to have surgery later today. I have spoken to our insurance company but the claims department are closed until 9am Monday so am unable to get 'proper' advise. Has anyone been in a similar situation and is able to advise how much we are likely to be able to claim back? Obviously park tickets have been booked as well as cars, flights and accommodation. Trouble is we're booked to be collected by mini bus are 6.30am so need to decide whether to cancel or if the loss will be too great, to go ahead with the holiday minus my brother. Ideally we'd like to cancel and rebook. Any advise would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Read up your policy to see if cancellation by you due to a member of the party being unable to travel is covered, and if so then check your wording to see what items of your trip will be covered

Then take it from there.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Do you all have travel Insurance with the same company or has each family arranged their own cover?
  • NicNicP
    NicNicP Posts: 249 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    We've all got our own cover. We're insured against the cost of the holiday, just wondered about park tickets, etc. Park tickets alone were £5000!
  • Sharon71
    Options
    Hi

I have holiday insurance with Atlas and when i was running in fuerteventura i fell over an exposed water pipe that would normally be hidden. The pipe was exposed due to heavy rainfall. I sustained several cuts and grazes on my chest, knee and hands. I was seen in A&E due to the swollen knee. The xray showed inflammation and fortunately no broken bones or ligament damage. Advised to rest and apply ice.
    I remained in my hotel room for the remainder of my holiday as i couldn't weight-bear and was unable to put my foot flat to the floor. I went to the restaurant for meals with the support of my husband. My insurance company informs me that my policy doesn't cover for being bed-bound and as i wasn't admitted all i could claim for would be medication which isn't worth it with the excess etc...

Because I spend 6 days out of 7 in my hotel room am i able to claim for reimbursement of the holiday?
    I have emailed golf resort fuerteventura as they are responsible for the pipes and they have replied to say thank you and they have corrected the pipe. I emailed them pics of my injuries too but they didn't offer compensation.
    Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Sharon71 wrote: »
    Hi

I have holiday insurance with Atlas and when i was running in fuerteventura i fell over an exposed water pipe that would normally be hidden. The pipe was exposed due to heavy rainfall. I sustained several cuts and grazes on my chest, knee and hands. I was seen in A&E due to the swollen knee. The xray showed inflammation and fortunately no broken bones or ligament damage. Advised to rest and apply ice.
    I remained in my hotel room for the remainder of my holiday as i couldn't weight-bear and was unable to put my foot flat to the floor. I went to the restaurant for meals with the support of my husband. My insurance company informs me that my policy doesn't cover for being bed-bound and as i wasn't admitted all i could claim for would be medication which isn't worth it with the excess etc...

Because I spend 6 days out of 7 in my hotel room am i able to claim for reimbursement of the holiday?
    I have emailed golf resort fuerteventura as they are responsible for the pipes and they have replied to say thank you and they have corrected the pipe. I emailed them pics of my injuries too but they didn't offer compensation.
    Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Please make your own thread on this as you are hijacking someone's elses thread
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport