Are the post office's 2D barcodes sufficient proof of postage?

I've been selling a few things recently because of a decent money off final fees offer from Ebay and I was told by the nice gentleman in the post office that I didn't need to send my items signed for anymore as the new post office barcodes is enough proof that the item has arrived.

Rather embarrassingly I said I felt it best to stick to signed for as it was definitive proof and I handed over the extra cost. But so I know for next time do I actually need to send items signed for if the Royal Mail use these new barcodes? If a buyer did claim INR would I be able to win that case with the bar code alone?

Comments

• alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Posting with bar code provides proof of posting NOT proof of delivery.
  • alanq wrote: »
    Posting with bar code provides proof of posting NOT proof of delivery.

Ah okay so not much help then if it ever went to a case :( That's a real letdown as you can already get a certificate of posting so the bar codes really don't help at all.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,183 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ah okay so not much help then if it ever went to a case :( That's a real letdown as you can already get a certificate of posting so the bar codes really don't help at all.

Have a read of the sticky postage thread. Your signed for is costing you an extra £1.10 per package, plus 11p extra FVFs so unless you anticipate meeting a lot of scammers you are wasting your money. All those £1.21ps soon add up and you really need to consider whether your sales are really that vulnerable to cost you that much.

Obviously if your items are over £20 then signed for is needed too crease the amount you are able to claim in case of loss or damage.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • The new 2D or QR code is trackable to delivery but isn't live for most* customers yet. It's due later this month if you believe RM, but then it was Spring, then Summer .......

* it is on trial for some business customers
  • The new 2D or QR code is trackable to delivery but isn't live for most* customers yet. It's due later this month if you believe RM, but then it was Spring, then Summer .......

* it is on trial for some business customers

So you wouldn't recommend it?
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary

Recommend it for what?
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,183 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary

Since this is only in a small trial and not yet rolled out it would be difficult for anyone to say whether it is recommended or not?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • TKPeters
    TKPeters Posts: 1,877 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Uniform Washer
    All the posties are scanning the 2D barcodes, just that RM haven't put the system live for non-business customers, only those of us with OBA Accounts can view the delivery scan.
    I still don't know if it would pass the eBay INR test, although its technically the same as a tracked product
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    TKPeters wrote: »
    All the posties are scanning the 2D barcodes, just that RM haven't put the system live for non-business customers, only those of us with OBA Accounts can view the delivery scan.
    I still don't know if it would pass the eBay INR test, although its technically the same as a tracked product

They are not live for all business users yet. Selected DMO accounts have taken the pilot.
  • Where did you hear the end of October? I asked RM and they couldn't/wouldn't give a date, only that they would let people know when it goes live.

I use DMO.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport