BG Default Date & Statute Barred

Options
Hi
Long story short, I left British Gas (Electricity) in Sept 2010, on the back of an argument/complaint over estimated bill. The last time I paid/acknowledged was July 2010. I've since received several letters over the years from various DCA, the last of which being Aug 2014 and ignored them all. I've heard nothing since. One of the DCA's placed a Default in Aug 2014!

Fast forward 2016, I'm attempting to clean up my credit file. Could I write to British Gas, asking them to correct the Default Date to 2010 or would this be a total waste of time ? Will this be resetting the clock for statute barred, although I would rather pay to be honest (£99), then its 'settled' without CCJ's in threat.

I know there are Guidelines for Default Dates but should I bargain with them (I'll pay this if you.....) or just demand the correction and pay it?

Thanks in advance for any advice...

Comments

• A_Flock_Of_Sheep
    Options
    Hence why it is important to only give your name as "The Occupier" or even just any name to utility companies. Estimated bills can cause havoc for credit files now utility firms are jumping on the "reporting" bandwaggon.

All could have been avoided if they simply reported the alleged debts to "The Occupier" or just some random name you give them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure