PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Is landlord right?? Disrepair

Options
Hi ive had mould problems in my rented house for 11 months. Finally a damp proofer came and when i asked the landlord for a copy of the actual report they refused to send me it, only a summary which they wrote out to my email
Rising damp in hallway
All chimney breasts (in every room) have hygroslopic salts and the plaster needs coming off and plastering with waterproof plaster
I have mould on walls too in these rooms (with book lice) and my furniture is all green on the backs or bottoms of drawers in bedrooms and he said apparently the 2 above issues are not causing this, this is down to poor ventilation/heating and low level wall insulation.
The damp proofer told me when he came he could see it wasnt my fault but landlord is saying hes taking no responsibilty or liability for my furniture
Who is right please. The house has a concrete floor and damp proofer said because its a old house there is no damp proof course. Im confused as to why mould would be in the bedrooms though unless it has come from the chimneys? My humidity is always 60% never lower even with a dehumidifier on and windows open. Whats happening lol :mad:

Comments

• Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    Sweet3434 wrote: »
    Hi ive had mould problems in my rented house for 11 months. Finally a damp proofer came and when i asked the landlord for a copy of the actual report they refused to send me it, only a summary which they wrote out to my email
    Rising damp in hallway
    All chimney breasts (in every room) have hygroslopic salts and the plaster needs coming off and plastering with waterproof plaster
    I have mould on walls too in these rooms (with book lice) and my furniture is all green on the backs or bottoms of drawers in bedrooms and he said apparently the 2 above issues are not causing this, this is down to poor ventilation/heating and low level wall insulation.
    The damp proofer told me when he came he could see it wasnt my fault but landlord is saying hes taking no responsibilty or liability for my furniture
    Who is right please. The house has a concrete floor and damp proofer said because its a old house there is no damp proof course. Im confused as to why mould would be in the bedrooms though unless it has come from the chimneys? My humidity is always 60% never lower even with a dehumidifier on and windows open. Whats happening lol :mad:

If you want a report which explains this, pay for one.

The LL doesn't have to share it with you.
  • theartfullodger
    Options
    It's an old,damp, cold, expensive to heat place: It always will be, even if the landlord improves it.

Move.
  • fishpond
    fishpond Posts: 1,022 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    "My humidity is always 60% never lower even with a dehumidifier on and windows open"
    I thought it was getting dry around here.:rotfl:
    I am a LandLord,(under review) so there!:p
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Damp and humid air is common in older property, but it can be exacerbated by some people's lifestyles. We also can't know know whether alterations have been made which compromise the way the house 'breathes.' e.g. upvc double glazing, lack of coal fires etc. For those reasons, apportioning blame is impossible, and not much use anyway.

As artful says, it's not likely that damp remediation alone will change the situation as much as you'd like. The answer is to move to a more modern property, where you'll pay less for heating and maybe never need a dehumidifier.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure