PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Transfer of equity - tax?

Options
Hi folks. Myself and my ex dividing up two properties between us. One property is worth 60k more than the other so she'll be paying me 30k for my half. She'll be paying stamp duty on this transaction, I wont. (it's her second property) My question are:

This 30k - how does it get taxed from my perspective?

Also, what kind of paperwork should I insist upon before we come to removal of names from deeds etc? How does this sum usually get paid? How do I protect myself, essentially. Its unlikely we'd get to the point where we've done the deeds and mortgages and then she denies all knowledge of this 30k figure but...just in case....

Any more details required, just let me know. Anyone here been in a similar position?

Comments

• Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    If the properties are mortgaged then you can't just go changing the deeds without the consent of the lender(s).

Is the property that you are selling your share in for £30k your only or main residence?
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are you both currently registered as jont owners of both properties?
    Are/were you married?
    Which is your main residence? The other will be liable to Capital Gains Tax.
    Any mortgage(s)?

If this were an amicable agreement then you could simply complete the transfer forms (assuming no mortgages) and she could hand you a cheque. However I detect a lack of trust, so would recommend following the conveyancing process (perhaps skipping the searches and survey) and preparing/Exchanging a contract.

If a mortage is involved this will need paying off and a new one taking out if required.
  • crabbycrabcrab
    Options
    Leaving a comment for a bump of the thread.

I'm also in a similar position. If she hands over the cheque. Would he be taxed on it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure