First Direct won't open account because I live in a flat with shared letterbox

Options
I've just spent 25 minutes on the phone to First Direct going through an incredibly lengthy account opening process only to be told that they can't open an account for me because I live in a flat in a building where residents of all flats share the letterbox at the main front door. They say it's too much of a security risk because residents of other flats could intercept my mail.

I'm dumbfounded. Surely this arrangement is normal in the vast majority of blocks of flats around the country isn't it? The only alternative would be for each flat to have a lockable letter box outside the building, but I don't think that that it that common an arrangement. Why is First Direct different from other banks in this regard?

Comments

• WestonDave
    WestonDave Posts: 5,154 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    First Direct tend to be rather more choosy about who they accept as customers than some others so its not surprising that they have different criteria.

Whilst your arrangement is probably reasonably common, there are alternatives such as having an unlocked entrance hall or lobby which contains a locked letter box for each flat which are pretty common. I suspect your arrangement is more common where its a converted "house" (for example in Bath where I live a lot of the big Georgian houses get split up) and it would be tricky to provide separate letter storage without compromising building security. On purpose built blocks its more common for provision to be made for separate letter boxes.
    Adventure before Dementia!
  • rbulph
    rbulph Posts: 547 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    WestonDave wrote: »
    First Direct tend to be rather more choosy about who they accept as customers than some others so its not surprising that they have different criteria.

Whilst your arrangement is probably reasonably common, there are alternatives such as having an unlocked entrance hall or lobby which contains a locked letter box for each flat which are pretty common. I suspect your arrangement is more common where its a converted "house" (for example in Bath where I live a lot of the big Georgian houses get split up) and it would be tricky to provide separate letter storage without compromising building security. On purpose built blocks its more common for provision to be made for separate letter boxes.

Yes, it's a converted house. Up to First Direct I suppose, but if all banks were to adopt this policy I'd be left with keeping my money as cash under the bed.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Timed buzzer access (for the postie) with standard post boxes on each flat door.
    Shared post boxes are far from ideal - especially with rental properties in the block.
  • rbulph
    rbulph Posts: 547 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Heng_Leng wrote: »
    Timed buzzer access (for the postie)

How does that work? Does someone have to let him in, or does he have a key? If no-one is around to let him in he's probably just going to leave the post in the street outside the shared entrance.
  • EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,040 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    rbulph wrote: »
    I'm dumbfounded. Surely this arrangement is normal in the vast majority of blocks of flats around the country isn't it?

It's isn't normal at all, except in converted houses, like yours.
    rbulph wrote: »
    The only alternative would be for each flat to have a lockable letter box outside the building, but I don't think that that it that common an arrangement.

I live in a block of flats and we all have separate letter boxes in our own front doors. The postman buzzes one of the flats to be let in. In some blocks they have a "trade" button, which lets anybody in during the daytime only.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    With most other banks it might be possible to collect mail from your local branch in this situation, but obviously that isn't possible with FD as they don't have any branches.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure