Isar HE24 PROBLEM

The hot water works, but the time programmer does not seem to send the signal to the boiler to heat the radiators. Nor is there a manual switch for the heating.

The problem has occurred in the past and usually happens when we have not used the heating for a long time, but even then it usually starts a to work after a hour, then it works OK. But now it is not switching on, tried resetting the boiler, switching it on and off, changing the batteries on the timer programmer control in the sitting room all to no avail.

I have made an appointment with plumber tomorrow morning, but there is a £50 call out charge.

Is there a simple DIY fix, the pressure on the guage is 8 psi.

I know nothing about boilers. So any help or advice appreciated.
When you look into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you. Nietzsche

Please note that at no point during this work was the kettle ever put out of commission and no chavs were harmed during the making of this post.

Comments

• Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I had that boiler, complete with a wireless thermostat - had the same problem. For us, I ruled out the thermostat by disconnecting the thermostat and using some wire across the terminals to manually turn the heating on. (as was described in the manual). The heating came on, and the fault was common with that thermostat, and a replacement electrical component was 50p.

I stress here that this does not involve taking main cover off the boiler - the cabling is accessible from below.

If the heating does not turn on, it may be the diverter valve, which I think is common if the heating has been off for a good while. You will probably want someone in to sort that for you.
  • Good to know it is not a major problem.

Please note that at no point during this work was the kettle ever put out of commission and no chavs were harmed during the making of this post.
  • Good to know it is not a major problem.

It's an Isar I wouldn't bank on it
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • It's an Isar I wouldn't bank on it

It is a crap boiler, no doubt. But I am stuck with it.

Question 1

Anyway the wife's friend knows a plumber, he reconnected the wires and it works. So is there any point in getting a new thermostat I guess we can just run it with the on and off switch, and in the summer we can just lower the gas dial all the way to the left?....or is there a cheap wireless thermostat that will work with the HE HE HA HA C.R.A.P HE-24 any recommendations?

Question 2

There is a tank in the attic, is it from an old system or does the HE HE HA HA C.R.A.P HE-24 use it.

Question 3 (for the future when it really breaks down)

Is there a good replacement boiler that can be replaced directly with the (less ideal) combi boiler very cheaply. (Pun intended)

• Grenage
    It's not a well liked boiler, but I never had any issues in my last house; it's luck of the dice.

You don't 'need' a thermostat; but out of curiosity, what thermostat do you have?
  • Daffodil, I believe but it is hard to make out. The plumber friend said he needed some thing to connect the two valves to increase boiler pressure.

• Grenage
    I'm not familiar with Daffodil, why not take a picture? A replacement thermostat shouldn't be too pricey.
  • Sorry, the make is Danfoss rx1

• Q1. Plumb Centre RF programmable room stat (it's really a Honeywell) your plumber should be able to get it for just over £50 inc vat.
    Q2. It shouldn't be needed (the thing your plumber needed to get between the two valves is called a filling loop)
    Q3. Lots of cheap crap boilers around (you already have one) do you really want another one ?
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure