Compulsary uniform. Is this right?

Hi
A little advice please.

My OH works part-time for NEXT and twice a year they MUST buy the new seasons clothes, including shoes, to wear at work. The prices are subsidised but the fact that it is obligatory seems unfair.

So, my questions would be; Should she have to spend up to £100 twice per year on clothes on her 'uniform'? In effect they are insisting that money from her wage is spent in store (giving with one hand and taking back with the other springs to mind) thus reducing her salary. Secondly, because she is part-time she does not earn enough to pay tax and therefore not eligible to any tax-relief on it being laundered. Surely this is a double whammy of unavoidable expense.

I appreciate the clothes are not branded, she can wear them outside work (if they sold a style she would choose to wear), the company do not want to advertise other brands but it is the enforcement which is unreasonable. If they want staff to walk around as clothes horses they should provide them for free.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    gsh5112 wrote: »
    If they want staff to walk around as clothes horses they should provide them for free.

This.

Perhaps this is an issue which could be collectively organised around with the help of a union.

https://www.usdaw.org.uk/Join-Us (others are available).
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    As far as I'm aware this practice is legal.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,455 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Was she made aware of the requirement before she accepted the job? If not, is it in her contract of employment. If the answer to either is 'Yes' I doubt she has much of an argument against its implementation.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    gsh5112 wrote: »
    Hi
    A little advice please.

My OH works part-time for NEXT and twice a year they MUST buy the new seasons clothes, including shoes, to wear at work. The prices are subsidised but the fact that it is obligatory seems unfair.

So, my questions would be; Should she have to spend up to £100 twice per year on clothes on her 'uniform'? In effect they are insisting that money from her wage is spent in store (giving with one hand and taking back with the other springs to mind) thus reducing her salary. Secondly, because she is part-time she does not earn enough to pay tax and therefore not eligible to any tax-relief on it being laundered. Surely this is a double whammy of unavoidable expense.

I appreciate the clothes are not branded, she can wear them outside work (if they sold a style she would choose to wear), the company do not want to advertise other brands but it is the enforcement which is unreasonable. If they want staff to walk around as clothes horses they should provide them for free.

Thanks in advance

I agree that there is nothing in legislation to prevent this practice EXCEPT if this is done in such a way that the money is deducted from the pay slip and that would mean that the employee was being paid less than NMW then that would be a 'no no'.

http://realbusiness.co.uk/hr-and-management/2015/10/23/monsoons-strict-dress-code-the-reason-behind-staff-not-being-paid-minimum-wage/
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,948 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    if it is her contract, then she has no complaint.

as the clothes are not 'branded' then even if she paid tax, she wouldn't get tax relief on laundering expenses.

the fact that she chooses not to wear them outside of work is exactly that ... her choice.
  • NYM
    NYM Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Presumably, she'd need to buy something to wear anyhow?

With the staff discount she's certainly not paying the full cost as she'd have to from any other store.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Everyone, well nearly everyone, launders their clothing. I believe that those jobs which have allowances are dirty, messy or those , like nursing, where it's health and safety precaution.
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,948 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    teddysmum wrote: »
    Everyone, well nearly everyone, launders their clothing. I believe that those jobs which have allowances are dirty, messy or those , like nursing, where it's health and safety precaution.

there are different amounts, for different types of work.
    but you are allowed to claim for any work uniform, that carries an unremovable company name/logo, because this clothing is only for work and not to be worn on other occasions.

if you do a dirty job but wear your own clothes, there is no laundry allowance
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    I thought everyone would know this about next.

However what does it have to do with benefits?
  • As a Saturday girl in Dorothy Perkins, in 1986, I had to buy clothing from their range to wear for work. We received a 20% discount. At £1.17 an hour, and with only a six hour shift, it was a fair amount from my wage. Luckily, I liked the clothes that I chose and wore them outside work. I also found a Saturday job that I enjoyed more, and that had an eight hour shift, after just three months.

Clothes shops have had this practice for many years. It's nothing new.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure