Rail Travel

Looking at 4 adults (all 65) travelling to Southhampton Central from Manchester next May and instead of driving thinking about the train .
Can anyone point me in the right direction for best return fares , am I right in thinking I need a Senior Rail Card ?
Also is it advisable to book journeys early or a week or so before ?

Many Thanks

Comments

• Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 October 2016 at 9:26AM
    33Lurcher wrote: »
    Looking at 4 adults (all 65) travelling to Southhampton Central from Manchester next May and instead of driving thinking about the train .
    Can anyone point me in the right direction for best return fares , am I right in thinking I need a Senior Rail Card ?
    Also is it advisable to book journeys early or a week or so before ?

Many Thanks

Rail cards are £30 each, does anyone in group have cards? if not that's £120 spent to get 1/3 off.

Advance tickets would probably be the best way to go. Available usually 12 weeks before travel. If not the cards would probably pay for themselves for that trip.
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • Sometimes there is a deal for 2 people traveling together, as said above book 12 weeks in advance to get the best price, I think you have to book the train times both ways
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Be careful. It cost me price of another 2 full price tickets, when we missed our return off peak journey.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • cbsexec
    cbsexec Posts: 578 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper
    If you check you can get a reduction under "three together" or "group save".

That worked out cheaper for us. You should get offered it at a booking office or if booking in advance (12 weeks is the magic number i believe) go to the "add railcards" bit and I think it comes up there.
  • Thanks for replies .
  • Cezzy
    Cezzy Posts: 1,741 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If you consider going the Senior Rail Card route (£30 which as gives you a 1/3 off travel for 1 year) you can use Tesco vouchers. £15 worth of vouchers will double up to the £30 required. Go to the Tesco website, its really quick and easy to do and the card is despatched straight away to your home. I travel around a lot by train and it saves me a fortune. I also book online and get nectar points for the cost of my ticket. It also will show cheaper options or sometimes an upgrade to first class for a minimal amount extra. I also recommend that you try to book as early as possible however agree with Missile, only book specific time journeys if you can be absolutely sure you won't miss them or it can costly.
    ~ Smile and light up your world ~
    ~ ask, believe, receive ~
  • Good tip re the Tesco vouchers .
  • DH and I have always used Tesco reward points for our Senior railcards - very efficient service.
    If you have an Oyster card then don't forget to link your Senior railcard to that to get cheaper Underground travel as well.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,020 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If any of you would be entitled to a Disabled Railcard, that's a better option than the Senior, because a) it's a bit cheaper and b) two of you get the same discount even if only one of you has the card.

Having a hearing aid qualifies you, for example.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Thanks Savvy_Sue , just applied for one as it applies:money:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family