Garden 'partition' ideas?

Options
We have a narrow-ish but long (85ft) garden and I'm thinking about ways to partition it or add a divider roughly about half way up.

The reason behind this is that the first half of the garden has been done up nicely with a pergola-covered patio area, nice flower beds etc., and the second half has the veg patch and some old brick outbuildings at the very back. not the prettiest

I was thinking about using wooden palettes stacked on their side to create a screen of sorts, but happy to hear about any other ideas people may have? Thanks!

Comments

• 27cool
    27cool Posts: 267 Forumite
    Options
    Oh yeah! Wooden pallets will make a really beautiful partition.
    Almost any other type of fencing will look better than that.
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Im planning something similar. Going to have two offset fruit hedges.

If youve got the pallets instead of having ugly pallets, get some white paint and cut them up into picket fencing. I got the impression you wanted to make it look prettier than an allotment, using pallets will not do that.
  • tizzle6560
    Options
    spadoosh wrote: »
    Im planning something similar. Going to have two offset fruit hedges.

If youve got the pallets instead of having ugly pallets, get some white paint and cut them up into picket fencing. I got the impression you wanted to make it look prettier than an allotment, using pallets will not do that.

I was going to paint them up for sure although we quite like the rustic charm of wood/palettes etc. We'll also be adding hanging plant pots , lanterns etc
  • 27cool
    27cool Posts: 267 Forumite
    Options
    tizzle6560 wrote: »
    I was going to paint them up for sure although we quite like the rustic charm of wood/palettes etc. We'll also be adding hanging plant pots , lanterns etc
    Rustic charm! Right, whoever designed wooden pallets, would have obviously had their "rustic charm" in mind. Though they do say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    I think we're going to have to agree to differ on this one.
  • phil24_7
    phil24_7 Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would put some closeboard/featheredge, hit and miss or a simple high picket fence.
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    tizzle6560 wrote: »

A nice fence made from pallets (rustic too).

picketfence2-600x450.jpg

Pallets used to make a fence.

redfence-600x600.jpg

I do like cheap, but then you can just add a bit of work and it doesnt have to look cheap. Id say a veg patch looks prettier than some propped up pallets.

In terms of pretty i would go
    1. Hedge
    2. Veg patch (do nothing)
    3. Wood fence (of the picket variety) or any generic type fencing
    4. Brick buildings (do nothing)
    5. Next door neighbours trampoline
    6. pallets on their side

How about weaving some hazel/willow?
  • andrewf75
    andrewf75 Posts: 10,421 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would use trellis panels with climbers growing on them. Or just plant some trees/shrubs.
  • Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There's always the option of ivy, which can be grown up a trellis (or pallets). It makes a pretty decent screen.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    shame you missed the Wilco garden sale they were doing screens really cheap. 4mx2m bamboo or willow for < £10. (went down to £4.50 in some stores))

Depending how high and how much you want to screen the good from the not so good, you may want to consider putting in decent strong 100mm posts that you can attach other stuff to and play with ideas along the separation line

if doing veg, what about just having your beans/peas/sweet peas etc long that line, or fruit canes, or hops or other climbing plants that will screen off.
  • tizzle6560
    Options
    shame you missed the Wilco garden sale they were doing screens really cheap. 4mx2m bamboo or willow for < £10. (went down to £4.50 in some stores))

Depending how high and how much you want to screen the good from the not so good, you may want to consider putting in decent strong 100mm posts that you can attach other stuff to and play with ideas along the separation line

if doing veg, what about just having your beans/peas/sweet peas etc long that line, or fruit canes, or hops or other climbing plants that will screen off.

Some good ideas there. Will definitely be fixing in some posts for support and rigidity. Wind in the garden can be pretty strong at times!

Will also definitely be growing some manner of fruit/veg in/around it.

Another question - what ground prep would anyone suggest? I was thinking of removing the top layer of grass, putting down a layer of weed protect and then laying the palettes over that. Anything else we should do? And securely digging in the posts obviously.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure