Why can't I pay with standing order?

Options
Hi

I'm hoping someone can help me.

I bought my daughter a phone on finance through RateSetter. I pay the same amount ever month.

I changed to a credit union bank account last month as I have been having issues with my bank and I can only pay standing orders out of my new account. They don't have the direct debit function.

I have tried to speak to RateSetter about a standing order and they have said I can do a standing order but it can only be done if the account goes into arrears ... so each month for the next year I can pay by standing order but my account has to be shown as having be paid late. I have asked why I can't just have it set up for a couple of days before and they have told me I can't do this.

I can also ring up and pay by debit card every month but will be charged a £1.50 fee every time I do this.

Basically they only want me to pay by direct debit.

It does not make sense to me at all ... I can understand if it's a variable payment but it's the same amount every month. I have spoke to a few people and they all said no to a standing order.

Help someone?

Comments

• YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ratesetter set the rules. You were made aware of them (and agreed to them) when you took out the product.

Your only* option, if you want to avoid the £1.50 fee is to reinstate the DD on your bank account. If you closed it (it's not clear from your post), then open another elsewhere and incur the first £1.50 fee for paying by debit card.

* It may be the case that ratesetter allow a DD to be paid from an account not in your name. You'd need to check.
  • deadendwaterfall
    Options
    Any examples of any other companies who have the same policy of not allowing standing orders for payment of their goods or services unless in arrears ?
    :o
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    As YorkshireBoy says, you have an agreement with RateSetter - and that agreement involves a DD. So you need a DD. And therefore you need a bank account that supports DDs.

If you no longer have one then I would try and open one - just a basic account would do, with almost any bank.

Having the ability to pay by DD is very very useful - lots of payments these days have to be DDs so you're potentially restricting yourself much more than just RateSetter if you can't do DDs.
  • Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    A lot of companies, including utility and BT, require payments by dd. They usually add on a fiver or so on each payment, for 'admin' costs, if not paid by dd.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,413 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 October 2018 at 9:29PM
    Options
    Does your daughter have a bank account? If so, could you send her the money each month so that she can pay by DD?

Otherwise, open a bank account of your own with another bank and set up the DD on that?
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,209 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    xylophone wrote: »
    Does your daughter have a bank account? If so, could you send her the money each month so that she can pay by DD?

Otherwise, open a bank account of your own with another bank abd set up the DD on that?

The original thread, which deadendwaterful resurrected today is 2 years old. I expect OP got something sorted;)
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    badger09 wrote: »
    The original thread, which deadendwaterful resurrected today is 2 years old. I expect OP got something sorted;)
    Well spotted! I should have seen that myself!
  • Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Oooops. I never noticed either :D
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • societys_child
    Options
    Makes it worse that the op only posted once, logged out, and hasn't been seen since. :rotfl:
  • ceredigion
    ceredigion Posts: 3,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Any examples of any other companies who have the same policy of not allowing standing orders for payment of their goods or services unless in arrears ?
    why oh why
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport