Advice for first purchase of shares

Options
eviekins
eviekins Posts: 187 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 9 October 2016 at 9:24PM in Savings & investments
Hi guys!
Potentially a silly question here, but I'm going to to go ahead and ask it anyway!
I keep an eye on a particular companies share price almost daily, on Friday evening I noticed they were low and my gut instinct is to buy them now (8am tomorrow).
I've never purchased shares before, so was wondering if I should buy them by opening a fund and share account or whether I should buy them through the vantage stocks and shares ISA.
I haven't put anything in to an ISA this year so for that reason does that make it the obvious choice rather that the fund and share account?
Is there anything else I'm missing!?
I realise it's not necessarily sensible to buy shares just in the one company, but this is the lowest price they've been in 5 years.
Thank you in advance for any advice!
Evie x

Comments

• bsod
    bsod Posts: 1,225 Forumite
    Options
    eviekins wrote: »

The reason why they are the lowest price in 5 years

You are betting against a computer.
    Don't you dare criticise what you cannot understand
  • lpgm
    lpgm Posts: 355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I keep an eye on a particular companies share price almost daily, on Friday evening I noticed they were low and my gut instinct is to buy them now (8am tomorrow).

I realise it's not necessarily sensible to buy shares just in the one company, but this is the lowest price they've been in 5 years.

I'd be very careful. Why are you looking at just this one company? The only thing you can be sure of is that the share price could be up to 100% lower in the future.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,619 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 October 2016 at 12:08PM
    Options
    Thank you in advance for any advice!
    Evie x

My father did something similar some 15 years ago. He thought it was a great plan. They went on to drop 98%. Just because they're lower than 5 years ago doesn't mean they can't go lower, even now they are lower than when he bought.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,162 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Buying individual shares is high risk as you could lose all your investment. Some people do focus on individual shares but if you are doing so I suggest you hold at least 15, and preferably far more, so that one failure isnt catastrophic. An inexperienced investor wanting to seriously invest rather than play would be best advised to stick to widely diversified funds.
  • cisamcgu
    cisamcgu Posts: 113 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have a few holdings in individual shares, a biotech, an oil exploration, and a high tech manufacturer. They amount to about 2.5% of my holdings, the rest is in big, fat Vanguard and HSBC trackers. I would be very hesitant putting any more in individual shares, even though they are the most intertesting. The risk of them collapsing completely is entirely possible, and way past my risk profile.

They are fun though :)
  • ArmyDilllo
    ArmyDilllo Posts: 150 Forumite
    edited 10 October 2016 at 11:37AM
    Options
    I've made 40% on my portfolio since a particular purchase of shares I made at the beginning of this tax year.
    It's a strategy I've never followed before but the price was too tempting for me as well.
    I split into three funds and two companies.
    I've now sold two funds and one of the companies to put all that cash into the one business (B.P.).
    I bought in originally at £3.28 and at various points above.
    Checking now they're worth £4.863

I only risked that strategy because I have a good spread throughout the rest of my portfolio.
    If you don't have a good diversification what you're doing is gambling which is different to investing (although closely related).
    NEVER invest more than you can afford to lose.

Good luck.

{ 8-]
    2016 : Realised £103,000.00 savings (banked)
    2017 : Realised £97,000.00 savings (banked)
    2018 : Realised £ savings (banked)

20.4% avg annual portfolio growth since 2004.

Retired 17:30 hrs, Friday 30th September 2016, aged 56, and luvvin' it!!
    :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport