My Hermes Questions

Never used Hermes before but have just moved and have a drop off shop pretty much next door.
So, first, how good are they?

Second, anyone have a business account with them and what deals can you get?

The majority of my stuff goes Royal Mail these days but I do have a number of small parcels (sent via RM) and then some 2kg + parcels that go by Parcelforce.

I'm always happy to save a few bob but it's not as important as the service, I'd rather spend an extra 20p per order and get it there in one piece in a couple of days.

Comments

• mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,789 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    It depends on the local courier. As they are all self employed, some of them are rubbish. If you drop off, sometimes it can be two day service. If the recipient shares a local depot with you it can be next day.

You need to make sure it is wrapped so it could survive a nuclear bomb and then wrap it again. That is the only problem I have found with them. Even stuff you wouldn't think they could break, they manage it some how.

Personally I use them for 15-40 parcels a week and never had a problem now I over wrap stuff.
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    mrcol1000 wrote: »

You need to make sure it is wrapped so it could survive a nuclear bomb and then wrap it again. That is the only problem I have found with them. Even stuff you wouldn't think they could break, they manage it some how.

Personally I use them for 15-40 parcels a week and never had a problem now I over wrap stuff.
    Thanks for that. I don't sell anything that can break (mostly by choice) so that wouldn't be an issue plus my packaging is usually pretty good.

Good to know. Do you have an account?
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,368 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I use them occasionally for a few ebay items, I wrap in brown paper but securely taped on, none breakables. They are cheap and have been 100% reliable for me. Give them a try.
  • I've sent hundreds (probably 500+). Couple of breakages (delicate items) but no losses. As long as your packaging is bulletproof, you won't have a problem. I double-box breakable items now, and have had no more breakages.

I've haven't got an business account, because I don't send enough parcels. Can't help there!
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,789 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    RFW wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I don't sell anything that can break (mostly by choice) so that wouldn't be an issue plus my packaging is usually pretty good.

Good to know. Do you have an account?

No. I do not think I am anywhere near the level you need. I think it is at least 100+ a week.
  • ballisticbrian
    ballisticbrian Posts: 3,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 10 October 2016 at 9:49AM
    It's unfortunate to have to say this as I'm actually a fan of Hermes, but unless you are prepared to 'occasionally' have them toss your parcel over a 6ft side fence, you do need to pay the extra pound for a signature required.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    It's unfortunate to have to say this as I'm actually a fan of Hermes, but unless you are prepared to have them toss your parcel over a 6ft side fence, you do need to pay the extra pound for a signature required.
    With the exception of DPD and UPS I've had that with every courier I've ever used.
    mrcol1000 wrote:
    No. I do not think I am anywhere near the level you need. I think it is at least 100+ a week.
    At present I'm probably not there either but if it was a good enough price I could use some of my smaller RM parcels and make up the numbers.

I'll probably try a few with them. The shop nearby is open until 11pm so, especially towards Christmas that could be a big help.

Any more testimony or anyone with an account would be greatly appreciated. PM me if you don't want to post any details here.

Thanks all round.
  • campdave
    campdave Posts: 2,198 Forumite
    RFW wrote: »
    I'll probably try a few with them. The shop nearby is open until 11pm so, especially towards Christmas that could be a big help.

Make sure you make friends with the shop owner if you're going to be dropping lots of parcels off!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure