Washing Machine Recomendations?

Options
Morning All

Does anyone have any recomendations for a decent quality washing machine? My cheapo £120-6 year old is on its last legs, I've patched up the best I can but now the motor is on its way and a new one isn't cost effective. With a 4 week old baby my washing levels have gone up significantly, and this time around I've got a bit more of a budget to get something a little bit better, I'm looking to spend around the £250-£350 mark, but will go more if I really see the benefit, i'm not intersted in these silly fads like conrtolled by a phone app or a door to add while the wash is running or any of that crap, just want a reasonable quality machine with a good size drum, good wash and prefeably with a reasonable lifespan (and user servicable would be awesome :P)

Anyone got any ideas where to start?

Regards
Paul

Comments

• Sam_Fallow
    Options
    Consider a John Lewis own brand. The one I bought was a Bosch with JL branding.

And I got an extra years warranty. Still runs like new after 5 -6? years
    I don't like morning people. Or mornings. Or people.
  • Chrishazle
    Chrishazle Posts: 609 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We're on our second Miele - the first one lasted 23 years and parts were still available to repair it, but I opted to spend £100 more and get a new Miele. That was 8 years ago and it's still going strong and will probably outlast us! Miele design their machines for a 20 year service life and parts are available for 20 uears after they stop producing a particular model!
  • usefulmale
    usefulmale Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    Options
    That 'cheapo' has cost you a miserable 5p a day. Why not do it all over again?
  • usefulmale
    usefulmale Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    Options
    Chrishazle wrote: »
    We're on our second Miele - the first one lasted 23 years and parts were still available to repair it, but I opted to spend £100 more and get a new Miele. That was 8 years ago and it's still going strong and will probably outlast us! Miele design their machines for a 20 year service life and parts are available for 20 uears after they stop producing a particular model!

The Miele at work crashed and burned within a year. Two grand that machine cost. Even Miele can make lemons.
  • jfdi
    jfdi Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm on my 3rd Zanussi in 32 years, and only had this one since January this year.
    I paid about £300 for this one, equivalent price for the others - that averages 15/16 years, so about 35p a week over time?

Never had a problem with any of them and we live in a hard water area.
    :mad: :j:D:beer::eek::A:p:rotfl::cool::):(:T
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    You'll get good & bad reports for just about every make so they don't really help much. You're not going to get a Miele with a 10 year guarantee for that budget so go for the best guarantee you can & pray you get lucky. You're right to avoid all the gimmicks.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We ruled out a miele due to the reasonably priced models lacking the basic timer function.

We picked up a beko for under 200 on offer with curries, and so far, it washes as well as any other machine I've used. Quite configurable, and 100 options I'll never use.
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Bosch - I think mine is about 9 years old now, still going strong.
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    Options
    Chrishazle wrote: »
    Miele design their machines for a 20 year service life and parts are available for 20 uears after they stop producing a particular model!
    If they design a machine to last 20 years as all Miele's promotional material seems to scream it does seem rather odd that when it comes to putting there money where there mouth is there only prepared to give the legal minimum guarantee as standard. The 20 years parts thing isn't true..... read the small print.

Never understood why people seem so proud that an appliance has lasted X decades. Compare a modern washing machine to a 20 year old one.... you'll get a worse wash, use hugely more water and energy which you'll pay for each time you use it.
  • Chanes
    Chanes Posts: 882 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 9 October 2016 at 9:15PM
    Options
    Miele. But I was going to buy a John Lewis, I changed my mind because I had set my heart on a Miele, I used to sell them when I was a kid working in a department store and I always wanted one. Still think a John Lewis own brand is a good deal though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure