Two master sockets

Options
Just thinking out loud here but is it possible to have two master sockets running from same line downstairs?

Would there be any benefit to having this as PC is in the bedroom and Android box is downstairs in living room and would prefer to cut down on running wiring everywhere?

Like I say just curious as to how to run two internet peripherals that require good connectivity at all times that wifi can't match.

Thanks as always
:j

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No only one can be the master , you need power line adapters
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • ferry
    ferry Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 October 2016 at 10:10PM
    Options
    Browntoa wrote: »
    No only one can be the master , you need power line adapters
    OK thanks.
    Realistically will they deliver anywhere near Ethernet speed?

As you can tell by now no expert here ...??
    :j
  • Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If your electric wiring is good, then the speed can be OK. Generally, it's nowhere near Ethernet speed, but more than enough for gaming and browsing.
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,997 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I use them to work from home and access a VPN and stream Netflix etc with no issues. Mine are 200 mbps which is an older spec but work fine
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ferry wrote: »
    Just thinking out loud here but is it possible to have two master sockets running from same line downstairs?

Would there be any benefit to having this as PC is in the bedroom and Android box is downstairs in living room and would prefer to cut down on running wiring everywhere?

Like I say just curious as to how to run two internet peripherals that require good connectivity at all times that wifi can't match.

Thanks as always

I'm a bit confused... why do you want two master sockets? Is it so that you can have one installed upstairs for the PC, and one for the Android box, so you get a fast/reliable connect on both devices?

If so, then (as above), you can't have two master sockets on one line. What you want to do is have the router plugged in to the master socket, and then run Ethernet cable (e.g. Cat 5e) to the PC upstairs.

If moving the router will negatively affect the wireless reception, then you could use a second wireless access point upstairs. But then, you'd either need to run two cables upstairs or (preferably) use a network switch upstairs (which converts one Ethernet cable/socket/port into multiple ones).

Powerline adaptors are never going to be as good as an Ethernet connection.

Hope that helps... :-)
  • TheCyclingProgrammer
    Options
    If you have a modern DSL faceplate (MK3 I think) with the A/B DSL extension terminals it is possible to run an extension using CAT5e or CAT6 from the downstairs master socket, internally or externally, to either an RJ11 or RJ45 wall socket and plug your router/modem's DSL connection into that.

You can get internal and external extension kits complete with cable and RJ45 socket here:
    https://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/vdslextensionkit30m.html

I did something similar though I didn't end up using one of the above kits. I just got some external grade CAT5e and ran the extension from the master socket in my living room, round the side of the house and into the cupboard under our stairs where I have my network equipment and terminated the extension on a port on my patch panel, and plugged my DSL modem into that.

Its a fairly simple job, just be careful when putting in the cable clips that you don't crush the CAT5e cable and don't bend it around corners too sharply.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure