New to selling on EBay and getting messages asking if I will do a buy it now

Options
Listed an item (my 4th to date) - no bids yet but two messages from different people, asking if I would do a buy it now. One had a figure, one didn't. Had a look on eBay guidance and this seems to be frowned on, but on a online q and a lots of people said they did it.

What do you do? If you don't want to (and that's where I probably am unless you persuade me) how do you respond to the message?

Thank you!

Comments

• ballisticbrian
    Options
    Firstly, you had the option of setting a buy it now when you listed the auction. These people that are sending you messages know that and are trying to twist your arm into doing it now to their benefit.

Secondly, they wouldn't do it unless they thought they could get the item cheaper than waiting for the auction to end.

Just send a message stating it's running as an auction with no buy-it-now.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,791 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    While the above is often the case, I have found people aren't bothered with auctions now. Some people just want to buy the item without messing about with bidding. You could take a risk with the auction and most likely will get more but you could also get less. If you do an advanced search you can search for similar items and see the sold price.

As long the item has no bids you can still add a buy it now price to a live auction. It is only if that you sell outside of Ebay that you are on dodgy ground. It is your choice though. If you do not think the item will get more than the price offered and are happy with the price then you can add a buy it now. You can always tell them you think it is worth more, they may increase their offer.
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I often get asked about doing BIN's too. I normally just reply & say I prefer my auctions to run to term, but if they wanted to make me an offer I can't refuse then I'd be willing to sell as a BIN.

Needless to say, nobody ever comes back with an offer, which to me shows they were hoping to pick the item up a bargain price & it's only very occasionally that any of them actually bother to make a bid on the auction.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • Art_Vandelay_2
    Options
    While (usually) I am happy to let auctions run to the end, if a buyer asks the question then there's no harm in asking if they have a figure in mind. If they are serious, they will make a serious offer.

I have had this twice recently, neither buyer wanted a silly discount or virtual freebie. One wanted a specific item for a gift, the other was happy to pay me over £100 for something I would have taken £40 for. Both sales fine with glowing feedback received.
  • qsk
    qsk Posts: 426 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ... the other was happy to pay me over £100 for something I would have taken £40 for.

Shipping to Nigeria?
  • Sambella
    Sambella Posts: 417 Forumite
    I've helped Parliament
    Options
    I always gave them a stock answer that as I had put it up for auction I intended to see it through. They were free to make bids if they wished and that they may possibly end up getting the item cheaper than the price offered to buy it now.

That always seemed to shut them up!
  • Brooker_Dave
    Brooker_Dave Posts: 5,196 Forumite
    Options
    If its a sensible offer, take the money.

Never mind what ebay thinks.
    "Love you Dave Brooker! x"

"i sent a letter headded sales of god act 1979"
  • Old_Git
    Old_Git Posts: 4,744 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Cashback Cashier
    Options
    I go onto ebay looking for an item .I dont want to get into a bidding war .I want to be able to buy ,pay ,and get delivery ASAP.
    If its an auction and I am at work I wont know until I get home if I have won or not .If I haven't I have wasted my time when I could have bought elsewhere and started the delivery process .
    "Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many"
  • skintpaul
    skintpaul Posts: 1,510 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Can you edit item, with a BIN set at price you are looking for?
    breathe in, breathe out- You're alive! Everything else is a bonus, right? RIGHT??
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you tried searching for the highest prices similar items have sold for?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure