Redundancy and Secondment

At the beginning of this year I went through redundancy consultation as my area of the business was being closed down. Before the third and final consultation meeting I managed to get a 6-month secondment in another area of the business. This area of the business is now going through a re-org and I have been told that I will not be mapped into a role but will have to wait and see what jobs are left when all the mapping has been completed and can then apply for those. I have 10+ years of service with the company and have been told that I will need to attend my final consultation meeting at the end of September with a view to working my 3-month notice.

Is it right that the business do not need to either include me in the pool for the re-org or map me into the role I am currently doing?

Comments

• sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    sarahlw wrote: »
    At the beginning of this year I went through redundancy consultation as my area of the business was being closed down. Before the third and final consultation meeting I managed to get a 6-month secondment in another area of the business. This area of the business is now going through a re-org and I have been told that I will not be mapped into a role but will have to wait and see what jobs are left when all the mapping has been completed and can then apply for those. I have 10+ years of service with the company and have been told that I will need to attend my final consultation meeting at the end of September with a view to working my 3-month notice.

Is it right that the business do not need to either include me in the pool for the re-org or map me into the role I am currently doing?

Unfortunately, yes. It isn't a role that you are currently doing. It is a secondment to a role which the employer can terminate at any time. So this isn't a mastery of law, but of the employers policy, so if this is how they wish to do it, they may do it that way. And to be honest, it probably doesn't feel that way, but it is probably a fair approach. They did not have to second you at all. Had they not, you wouldn't have been there to stand in competition with the team for their jobs. From their perspective, it isn't fair to maybe lose their job to someone who had already been "made redundant" from their own role. If the situation were reversed, you'd be asking why the "temp" should be included when they have only just arrived and have a temporary position!
  • happyc84
    happyc84 Posts: 324 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I'm in a similar situation to the OP. although I'm on a 2 year long term assignment, previous role was 10 years plus.

My question is if the secondment ends and no place is available will the terms of original post come in to place. or do just leave no with no pay off. If that was the case then imo no one would take the 6 months secondment when the original package would have been greater than the new temp role.

Hope that makes sense.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Sort of! Why do you think you would leave with no redundancy? And I'm confused about why you are asking about six months secondment when you say yours is two years?

You are not redundant until there is no employment for you. If you are in a role then there is no redundancy.
  • asajj
    asajj Posts: 5,123 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    We had this situation in one of my previous company and obviously you will still get your redundancy, otherwise, companies would just create secondments to avoid paying redundancy.

Your role has gone through a re-organization and disappeared, then you found a secondment. This usually gives people a chance to find another job within the business, if not they leave at the end of it. In a sense, you already lost a job and was given an extension through secondment. It would be unfair on others to re-pool you unfortunately.
    ally.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport