Pension Bee: A good move?

Options
I'm considering moving my pensions to Pension Bee, an online-only pension provider that sells itself on an easy experience etc etc.

I'm not big on understanding how to find a good pension provider, but the fully digital experience with easy access and visibility of the performance and payments of my pensions is what appeals to me.

So I've got two questions I guess: Does anyone have any experience of Pension Bee they can share, or can you recommend any alternative providers who offer good online control of their accounts?

Thanks!

Stu.

Comments

• LXdaddy
    LXdaddy Posts: 693 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You might get more response posting in the Pensions board http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=19
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    New poster with first post mentioning a company that nobody has heard of and only became authorised 9 days ago. Spam?

However, in case it isn't spam, then I will answer your questions.
    Does anyone have any experience of Pension Bee they can share,

They only became FCA authorised on 1st August. So, its unlikely you will find much experience and even if you did, 9 days is not going to tell you anything as even if you applied for a pension transfer on their first day, its unlikely a transfer would have completed yet.

Their costs are not that attractive. For people with more than £20k built up, there a plenty of cheaper options. Even including the cost of advice. The charges are not bad. Just not near the lowest. Their structure has the larger investors subsidising the smaller ones.

Modern personal pensions for people over £20k held can come in at 0.4% p.a. A DIY investor with a low cost platform using similar styled investment can come in a lot cheaper than pensionbee.

DIY investors tend to be focused on cost. Although pensionbee seems to be focused on the mobile phone/ipad user who uses twitter etc and I suspect that group are largely not interested or knowledgeable enough to know what is good or bad but if they have a nice site and tweet then they must be good (cynicism intended)

Obviously we cant tell anything about their financial strength given the short history.

These robo-providers are popping their heads up all over the place. Some are better than others but most will not survive the long term. The model is either to get as many funds under management as possible as quickly as possible and if lucky, hit profit many years down the road or more likely be bought out by a bigger player who is looking to get a larger market share.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    Doesn't bode well for a service when the first thing anyone hears of them looks suspiciously like forum spam 9 days after being authorised by the FCA - before they even have a proper press or TV campaign, for instance.
  • StuMarlow
    Options
    Thanks very much for the well-researched reply. That's made me rethink the idea altogether. I actually instructed them to search for my pensions several months ago so I'm very surprised to hear they've only just been authorised - is that typical or genuine cause for concern?

Have to say though, I'm a bit disappointed and put off by the tin-foil hat brigade here though. Most forums tend to welcome first-time posters. The content of your post would have been good enough to shoot a spammer down, no need for the point scoring.
  • dunstonh
    edited 10 August 2016 at 1:26PM
    Options
    Interestingly, their website claims to have over 5000 customers which is pretty good for a firm that only became authorised 9 days ago. Nutmeg, who were much higher profile and have been running since 2012 took two years to move from hundreds into the thousands of clients.

Also, Trustpilot has reviews of them going back to September 2015 praising them. Not bad for a company was not authorised back then.

So, I looked deeper and found that there was a authorisation held as an appointed rep of another firm from July 2015 to Aug 2016. So, they had a change of set up and have been running a little longer but still only a year.

From the trust pilot responses, it is clear that it is the mobile generation they are targeting. So, good luck to them. Lets hope they become profitable unlike all the others that have tried. However, the experienced DIY investors and those with a good IFA can do better.

Maybe not a bad solution for very small investors with under £20k who are totally lazy when it comes to research.
    Have to say though, I'm a bit disappointed and put off by the tin-foil hat brigade here though. Most forums tend to welcome first-time posters. The content of your post would have been good enough to shoot a spammer down, no need for the point scoring.

First time poster asking about a new company who is virtually unknown is a common spam tactic. Observing it may have been that is not point scoring.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • StuMarlow
    Options
    Thanks dunstonh, very helpful.

My experience of them so far has been good, and because of that I'm like you in that I hope they do well.

So if I compare them to my current provider (numbers aside) Scottish Widows, who have an online account system from the dark ages, they're much more appealing.

Still unsure though, given the trepidation of other posters.
  • dunstonh
    Options
    So if I compare them to my current provider (numbers aside) Scottish Widows, who have an online account system from the dark ages, they're much more appealing.

SW were once a very good company. However, Lloyds has starved them of funds since they bought them. Their product range today is largely out-of date and their technology is dire.

So, compared to SW, you would expect any modern option to be better.

We are launching our robo-service shortly and just about every other IFA will be doing the same. And this is likely to be a problem for some of these robo-services. Too many going after too few clients. Plus, the focus is the lower value stuff. So, cost to value ratios are not going to be strong. I am not expecting much of a take up but we will be putting most of our low value stuff on there. Not the high value stuff though as the options they have are better served with full featured options rather than cut down robo-services.

I do expect a number of the robo services to fail due to lack of funds. They are the weakest of the distribution channels. So, just keep a keen eye on it.
  • PensionBee
    PensionBee Posts: 22 Organisation Representative
    edited 23 August 2017 at 11:16AM
    Options
    Hi all,

Sorry for contributing so late to the discussion but I’m happy to clarify a few things on behalf of PensionBee!

We’ve just received permission from the forum team to post on behalf of PensionBee. We also have our own forum thread on PensionBee here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5696680

A couple of things that are often misunderstood about us, our product and our customer base:

About PensionBee: we’re not a robo adviser but an online pension consolidation service.

On fees: our fees include all underlying fees such as fund fees and platform fees. Our all-in-fees are often compared to platform fees of others which is incorrect. Of course there are cheaper alternatives around but we’ve priced our plans competitively. We always encourage people to check their fees from their previous provider before they join.

Our customers: our customer is on average 39 years old, combines 3 pensions and is in the midst of their working life. They have big decisions to make: changing jobs, buying a property or starting a family. They are switched on when it comes to their finances but they are looking for modern and easy solutions to get on top of their finances. They are not totally lazy and on their mobile phones all day, as suggested in the discussion!

On our size: PensionBee currently has 10,000 customers + another 30,000 currently in the sign-up process (moving pensions can sometimes take up to 1 year! So it’s likely we’re around in the years to come :)

If there are any questions, don’t post it here but go to the PensionBee Q&A: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5696680 so we can get back to you soon!

On behalf of PensionBee
    Jasper Martens
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of PensionBee. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • dunstonh
    Options
    About PensionBee: we’re not a robo adviser but an online pension consolidation service.

You use your own product and have pre-built investment options. You have mobile interfaces. So, what is it that doesnt make you robo-advice?
    On fees: our fees include all underlying fees such as fund fees and platform fees. Our all-in-fees are often compared to platform fees of others which is incorrect. Off course there are cheaper alternatives around but we’ve priced our plans competitively. We always encourage people to check their fees from their previous provider before they join.

You are new to this forum. Once you have been around a bit longer you will realise that the posters on this site generally focus mostly on charges before anything else. I am not saying that is right as paying peanuts to get something that doesnt do what you want is not ideal. However, you need to understand the audience at this particular site and that many here do have a platform with a simple investment option that does the job they want at lower cost than you or any IFA could arrange (if you include cost of advice).

Your fees are 0.5% to 0.7% depending on risk profile. You are right that you should not be compared with a platform as that is a much more advanced option. However, people here regularly post that they are getting 0.4% or thereabouts on their total costs. You can also buy very simple stakeholder pensions at 0.55% today or personal pensions at 0.4% (or lower if large values). I just did a pension at 0.238%. Although that has an adviser charge to consider. So, you are ballpark to just above for simple options.
    Our customers: our customer is on average 39 years old, combines 3 pensions and is in the midst of their working life. They have big decisions to make: changing jobs, buying a property or starting a family. They are switched on when it comes to their finances but they are looking for modern and easy solutions to get on top of their finances. They are not totally lazy and on their mobile phones all day, as suggested in the discussion!

The comment did not say your customers were totally lazy on their mobile phones all day. However, your service is clearly aimed a the mobile/social media style customer who doesn't want to research the best options but wants a simple option. There is a big market for that as its not cost effective for IFAs to pick up that market any more. So, good luck to you. The age suggests you are picking up the younger generation which is more inclined to use your type of service as IFAs generally pick up the larger fund values from the older generation
  • PensionBee
    PensionBee Posts: 22 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi dunstonh,

Yes, I'm still a newbie here and looking at your number of posts on your profile, you're a veteran :) so thanks for your guidance in your posts.

With regards to the term 'robo advice' have a look on Wikipedia definitionhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robo-advisor
    PensionBee is not a financial adviser, we offer a simple way to combine your pensions from previous jobs online.

On fees: you're right and as I mentioned in my post, PensionBee is not the cheapest option available in the UK.

On customers: I did spot the phrase "totally lazy" in your post, that's why I mentioned it. Apologies if I misinterpreted that. We do love our customers!

Any other questions, please use the PensionBee Q&A http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5696680

Thanks
    On behalf of PensionBee
    Jasper Martens
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of PensionBee. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure