MMD: Should Jordan pay Peter to go away?

Options
Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:
Should Jordan pay Peter to go away?

Jordan is a successful business woman with her own scaffolding company, and a great MoneySaver to boot. She's very close to her grandfather Peter, who knowing she uses this site a lot, constantly asks for her help with Gas & Electricity switching, phone bills and other MoneySaving. The problem is, in the time it takes Jordan to save him £100, she could've earned £500. Should she simply give him some cash instead?

Should Jordan pay Peter to go away?
Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs:

Should Mrs Robinson leave all her cash to Garfunkel?
Should Chanelle avoid using Ziggy?
Should Ben go to Bill's wedding?

threadbanner.gif

Comments

• Mics_chick
    Mics_chick Posts: 12,014 Forumite
    Options
    No she should get him to buy a computer and teach him to do it himself to save her time and money in the future.

I don't see this as a real dilemma coz isn't this the sort of thing she could do for him in the evening so it won't impinge on her working day :confused:

If it was me I would just do it coz it was my grandad and not think any further than that...:D
    You should never call somebody else a nerd or geek because everybody (even YOU !!!) is an
    "anorak" about something whether it's trains, computers, football, shoes or celebs :p :rotfl:
  • FloFlo
    FloFlo Posts: 32,720 Forumite
    Options
    I don't get this??????
  • Middlestitch
    Options
    Agree with previous answer - get him a computer if he's likely to be willing to learn, or just going on doing it because he's her grandfather and family feelings should take precedence over feelings (at least some of the time!).
  • MJay
    MJay Posts: 148 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I agree with Mick's Chick...... Buy him a computer and teach him herself or use the money she is going to save to pay for his lessons!!

BUT

Is it really just a plea for her time..... money isn't everything... Time spent with older folk on a shared task is never wasted..... Building golden memories could be worth her loss of income...........
    :rotfl: Older and growing
  • tallgirld
    Options
    By the time she's shown him how to use a computer she could of lost much more than 500 quid!!!! I think she should HELP HER GRANDAD and stop thinking about money!!! IT ISNT EVERYTHING!!!
  • redders_:)
    Options
    As MJay said, Peter does want to save money, but he also wants time with Jordan and money saving is the perfect reason! She may be able to earn more money working, but helping a relative is more rewarding! As others have said she should try and teach him to save money himself as well, if he doesn't have a computer then buying one (or getting one off freecycle ;) ) could be useful, as long as she's still spending time with the fella!

Also giving the man
  • rubix_76
    Options
    As many have said :Give a man a fish he eats for a day, teach a man to fish he eats for life.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.
  • mountainofdebt
    Options
    I don't get this.....Karen is supposed to be close to her grandad and yet seems to resent the time it takes her to help him out......some granddaughter!
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by £1,000.
    Overpayment to date : £310

2nd Purse Challenge:
    £15.88 saved to date
  • Chocmonster7
    Options
    I agree that this one isn't about the money it's about spending time with her Grandfather, you can't put a price on that kind of thing.
  • olly300
    olly300 Posts: 14,736 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's obvious the granddaughter doesn't want to spend time with her grandfather. If she did she would teach him how to do things himself.

It's amazing what happens when you teach people, regardless of age, how to text, email etc some people get so good at it that they end up teaching you stuff back while others start communicating with friends' and family around the world.
    I'm not cynical I'm realistic :p

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure