Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 11th Sep 07, 5:43 PM
    • 1,228Posts
    • 3,559Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    MMD: Should Jordan pay Peter to go away?
    • 11th Sep 07, 5:43 PM
    MMD: Should Jordan pay Peter to go away? 11th Sep 07 at 5:43 PM
    Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:

Should Jordan pay Peter to go away?

Jordan is a successful business woman with her own scaffolding company, and a great MoneySaver to boot. She's very close to her grandfather Peter, who knowing she uses this site a lot, constantly asks for her help with Gas & Electricity switching, phone bills and other MoneySaving. The problem is, in the time it takes Jordan to save him £100, she could've earned £500. Should she simply give him some cash instead?

Should Jordan pay Peter to go away?

Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs:

Should Mrs Robinson leave all her cash to Garfunkel?
    Should Chanelle avoid using Ziggy?
    Should Ben go to Bill's wedding?

Last edited by Former MSE Dan; 12-09-2007 at 11:45 AM.
Page 1
    • Mics_chick
    • By Mics_chick 11th Sep 07, 9:29 PM
    • 11,688 Posts
    • 11,566 Thanks
    Mics_chick
    • 11th Sep 07, 9:29 PM
    • 11th Sep 07, 9:29 PM
    No she should get him to buy a computer and teach him to do it himself to save her time and money in the future.

I don't see this as a real dilemma coz isn't this the sort of thing she could do for him in the evening so it won't impinge on her working day :confused:

If it was me I would just do it coz it was my grandad and not think any further than that...
    You should never call somebody else a nerd or geek because everybody (even YOU !!!) is an
    "anorak" about something whether it's trains, computers, football, shoes or celebs
    • FloFlo
    • By FloFlo 11th Sep 07, 10:43 PM
    • 32,186 Posts
    • 211,356 Thanks
    FloFlo
    • 11th Sep 07, 10:43 PM
    • 11th Sep 07, 10:43 PM
    I don't get this??????
    • Middlestitch
    • By Middlestitch 11th Sep 07, 11:31 PM
    • 1,320 Posts
    • 2,410 Thanks
    Middlestitch
    • 11th Sep 07, 11:31 PM
    • 11th Sep 07, 11:31 PM
    Agree with previous answer - get him a computer if he's likely to be willing to learn, or just going on doing it because he's her grandfather and family feelings should take precedence over feelings (at least some of the time!).
    • MJay
    • By MJay 12th Sep 07, 2:04 AM
    • 140 Posts
    • 237 Thanks
    MJay
    • 12th Sep 07, 2:04 AM
    • 12th Sep 07, 2:04 AM
    I agree with Mick's Chick...... Buy him a computer and teach him herself or use the money she is going to save to pay for his lessons!!

BUT

Is it really just a plea for her time..... money isn't everything... Time spent with older folk on a shared task is never wasted..... Building golden memories could be worth her loss of income...........
    Older and growing
    • tallgirld
    • By tallgirld 12th Sep 07, 7:16 AM
    • 476 Posts
    • 317 Thanks
    tallgirld
    • 12th Sep 07, 7:16 AM
    • 12th Sep 07, 7:16 AM
    By the time she's shown him how to use a computer she could of lost much more than 500 quid!!!! I think she should HELP HER GRANDAD and stop thinking about money!!! IT ISNT EVERYTHING!!!
  • redders :)
    • 12th Sep 07, 7:17 AM
    • 12th Sep 07, 7:17 AM
    As MJay said, Peter does want to save money, but he also wants time with Jordan and money saving is the perfect reason! She may be able to earn more money working, but helping a relative is more rewarding! As others have said she should try and teach him to save money himself as well, if he doesn't have a computer then buying one (or getting one off freecycle ) could be useful, as long as she's still spending time with the fella!

Also giving the man
    • rubix_76
    • By rubix_76 12th Sep 07, 8:21 AM
    • 216 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    rubix_76
    • 12th Sep 07, 8:21 AM
    • 12th Sep 07, 8:21 AM
    As many have said :Give a man a fish he eats for a day, teach a man to fish he eats for life.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    • mountainofdebt
    • By mountainofdebt 12th Sep 07, 8:54 AM
    • 7,424 Posts
    • 10,794 Thanks
    mountainofdebt
    • 12th Sep 07, 8:54 AM
    • 12th Sep 07, 8:54 AM
    I don't get this.....Karen is supposed to be close to her grandad and yet seems to resent the time it takes her to help him out......some granddaughter!
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by 1,000.
    Overpayment to date : 310

2nd Purse Challenge:
    15.88 saved to date
    • Chocmonster7
    • By Chocmonster7 12th Sep 07, 9:54 AM
    • 2,306 Posts
    • 2,037 Thanks
    Chocmonster7
    I agree that this one isn't about the money it's about spending time with her Grandfather, you can't put a price on that kind of thing.
    • olly300
    • By olly300 12th Sep 07, 10:37 AM
    • 14,312 Posts
    • 13,632 Thanks
    olly300
    It's obvious the granddaughter doesn't want to spend time with her grandfather. If she did she would teach him how to do things himself.

It's amazing what happens when you teach people, regardless of age, how to text, email etc some people get so good at it that they end up teaching you stuff back while others start communicating with friends' and family around the world.
  • trejoy
    No
    Time spent with family is far more precious than money. She could help to buy him his own computer and teach him to use it, or better still, have a regular invite for him to come to her so that they can use her computer together and spend some quality time.
  • sharrison
    Should Jordan pay Peter to go away
    Jordan should set some time to show Peter how to do it for himself and then leave him to it. Time spent on training always pays off in the long run.
    • Alias_Omega
    • By Alias_Omega 12th Sep 07, 2:18 PM
    • 7,243 Posts
    • 3,939 Thanks
    Alias_Omega
    Jordan is a successful business woman with her own scaffolding company
    Originally posted by MSE Jenny
    Lol, this is so fake..

• rubix_76
    • By rubix_76 12th Sep 07, 2:19 PM
    • 216 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    rubix_76
    It's obvious the granddaughter doesn't want to spend time with her grandfather. If she did she would teach him how to do things himself.
    Originally posted by olly300
    I spent so much time with my grandfather, and we all really enjoyed that time together before he died. We used to make things, and do things together I really enjoy thinking back to what we got up to.

You'll be amazed at how valuable those times are when you get older.

So as many people have said, spending time with family should be about that, TIME, not what you could be doing or how much you can be earning instead.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    • rubix_76
    • By rubix_76 12th Sep 07, 2:24 PM
    • 216 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    rubix_76
    Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:
    Originally posted by MSE Jenny

Lol, this is so fake..
    Originally posted by Alias_Omega
    That's why it's called a HYPOTHETICAL situation !
    • JayD
    • By JayD 12th Sep 07, 4:07 PM
    • 517 Posts
    • 326 Thanks
    JayD
    First, there may be numerous reasons why Peter might not be able to take on the task of learnig how to use a computer and/or utilising the excellent advice provided on the money savings expert forums and elsewhere.
    Second, why can't Jordan help him in her spare time - surely she doesn't work 24.7 and can put some time aside for family members.

Third, I think this is about a grand daughter helping her grandfather to budget and still retain his sense of dignity. For Jordan, and probably for Peter too, it's not really about the financial value of the time she spends doing it at all.
  • Alfie E
    Is Martin trying to tell us all something? Hes too busy making money to help us any more?
    古池や蛙飛込む水の音
  • mollyeyre
    Surely it would be a kind thing to teach him to understand and learn how to access the information, then they would both be happy.
  • eviljim6
    as someone who is often called on for computer assistance for simple tasks by family I have to say this can be very time consuming and frustrating especially if you need to be doing something else however If I ever don't help I am wracked with guilt as I feel I have let people down.
    I reckon that if Jordan should buy Peter a computer (anything from 299 for a basic set up) and then visit him once a week to teach they'll both be laughing. Quality time and he'll get a his (computer) independance.
    Who knows if she follows my advice we might see him at MSE forum
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

803Posts Today

5,844Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Today's twitter poll: The 585 page draft agreement of the withdrawal of the UK from the EU has been published. A? https://t.co/8YLkPyzqYM

• Follow Martin