Brittany Ferries to Spain 2017

Anyone have a rough idea of the cost of Brittany ferries to Santander or Bilbao.
We are thinking of driving to Northern Spain next summer ( early July), staying there for a week and then down to the south of France for another week.

There are no prices up yet. I seem to remember pricing it up a couple of years ago, and it was really expensive. Anyone have a ball park figure? . I think it was around £900 , when we looked.
Anyone booked for this year to Northern Spain?

Comments

• Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    It is very expensive. Some people have reported saving quite a bit by booking accommodation in Spain with their ferry crossing.
  • Moto2
    Moto2 Posts: 2,206 Forumite
    £900-£1000 for a car and 4 passengers doesn't sound too far off the mark
    Why not try a dummy booking for this year?

The 'economie' sailings (out Tuesday back Wednesday, I think) are a bit cheaper also you may be able to get a Club Voyage code off someone that'll save you another 10%
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    It's about a grand for 4 people with cabin both ways.
    Very cheap when you add up the alternative - road tolls & fuel in France, at least 1 overnight stop each way + the short ferry crossing cost.
    We've used them 3 times to go to costa brava, costa del sol & the algarve.
    Plus, you arrive early morning and relaxed, ready for your drive to destination. I would highly recommend.
  • holidaysforme
    holidaysforme Posts: 1,786 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks everyone. Priced up for this July and it's £1080 return to Bilbao with cabin each way.
    Could probably do flights and car hire for around the same, but fancy the Idea of a driving holiday.
    Will have a look at prices when they come out in September for next July and take it from there.
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,989 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Before you book PM me and I will share my code to give you a discount.
  • holidaysforme
    Before you book PM me and I will share my code to give you a discount.

Thanks very much. Haven't made ant definite decisions yet.
  • AlexMac
    AlexMac Posts: 2,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Note that if you book even three nights accommodation with them (click the 'holidays' button not 'ferry' or whatever on their website) , the ferry crossing falls so much that in effect, the hotel or cottage is free. And they have a little publicised early booking discount period, for about a 4-5 weeks in, usually late Nov, or Dec or Jan each year. This meant that while a return car crossing only, with a basic inside cabin with bunk beds is about £600-800, we paid under £950 this May for a fortnight away. This included 12 nights B&B in exceptionally good hotels, a cabin upgrade each way (which usually costs £240 extra) to an 'outside large 2/4 berth'; so, a proper window, sea-view and no climbing ladders!

It's really worth upgrading, as the basic inside cabins are a bit tight- albeit adequate with ensuites. Don't even think of travelling without a cabin as that's no fun! For us, the 24 hour crossing's part of the hol, so we also push the boat out (so to speak) and eat in their excellent on-board restaurant from about £25 a head; especially as dining out in Northern Spain is very cheap right now, even with a depressed pound

We think our holidays with BF are incredible value and it's easy to find hotels in Spain and France on their website (altho' multi-site trips are best then booked by phone and their call centre staff are on the ball).

But as someone above says- compare costs of a crossing and 3-night stay in any random hotel with ' ferry only'- or opt for their slightly cheaper 'no-frills' boats (not much cheaper so why bother) maybe out to Spain and back from Caen or another French port -
    Buon viaje
  • holidaysforme
    AlexMac wrote: »
    Note that if you book even three nights accommodation with them (click the 'holidays' button not 'ferry' or whatever on their website) , the ferry crossing falls so much that in effect, the hotel or cottage is free. And they have a little publicised early booking discount period, for about a 4-5 weeks in, usually late Nov, or Dec or Jan each year. This meant that while a return car crossing only, with a basic inside cabin with bunk beds is about £600-800, we paid under £950 this May for a fortnight away. This included 12 nights B&B in exceptionally good hotels, a cabin upgrade each way (which usually costs £240 extra) to an 'outside large 2/4 berth'; so, a proper window, sea-view and no climbing ladders!

It's really worth upgrading, as the basic inside cabins are a bit tight- albeit adequate with ensuites. Don't even think of travelling without a cabin as that's no fun! For us, the 24 hour crossing's part of the hol, so we also push the boat out (so to speak) and eat in their excellent on-board restaurant from about £25 a head; especially as dining out in Northern Spain is very cheap right now, even with a depressed pound

We think our holidays with BF are incredible value and it's easy to find hotels in Spain and France on their website (altho' multi-site trips are best then booked by phone and their call centre staff are on the ball).

But as someone above says- compare costs of a crossing and 3-night stay in any random hotel with ' ferry only'- or opt for their slightly cheaper 'no-frills' boats (not much cheaper so why bother) maybe out to Spain and back from Caen or another French port -
    Buon viaje

Thanks so much. So much useful information. Have been having a good browse around the website, and it does seem that it would be mad not to book a holiday rather than just the ferry, as as you are effectivly getting some of the accomadation for free.

We always book a cabin on a long crossing and like you treat it as part of the holiday, and also eating on board. Have done this a few times travelling to Holland.
    Lots to think about over the coming months. We haven't even had our summer holiday this year yet. Always pays to think ahead though. Thanks for your help:)
  • I belonged to the Brittany club voyage scheme last year, but am only looking to do a one way crossing between now and December, so dont think it is worth rejoining.

Has anyone please got a club account friends and family code to share which is still valid for December 2016. If I do go ahead with my booking your code should get me the £18 reduction on my fare, and hopefully get you a tenner allocated to your account in return.
  • As I said earlier. PM me to get BF friends and family discount on ferries to France and Spain.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure