Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread

Options

Comments

• Serendipitious
    Options
    curl_girl wrote: »
    LEJC.
    There is always a duty social worker available 24hrs if you are thinking about phoning your council.
    I think I would if I wouldn't be able to sleep tonight.
    Anything could happen to her.......

The weather is a risk factor in itself.

2 degrees forecast here tonight.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• LEJC
    LEJC Posts: 9,618 Forumite
    Options
    LEJC.
    There is always a duty social worker available 24hrs if you are thinking about phoning your council.
    I can't believe she isn't known to them...or indeed that the council workers and police dont see her every day as they go up and down the road....along with thousands of other people no doubt....a few days is long enough to be sleeping rough ...this has clearly been much longer.

sometimes things get to me a little more than perhaps they should...I guess it's possibly made worse by the fact that she appears elderly...although I have no idea of her real age as homelessness ages people far beyond their years.
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 179 out 145 in ...£18.64 spend
  • Serendipitious
    Serendipitious Posts: 6,446 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 17 November 2016 at 6:36PM
    Options
    No idea what areas this covers:

The No Second Night Out initiative was launched in 2012 and says that while there may be many reasons someone sleeps rough for a night - there is no reason for them to spend a second night out.
    Hundreds of rough sleepers have already been helped from people contacting the service, with 160 calls received in the first six months of this year.
    But as the nights grow longer and temperatures drop, the council are urging even more people to call 03001232041 if they see someone sleeping on the streets.

ETA National link:

http://www.nosecondnightout.org.uk/contact-us/
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• wendyak
    wendyak Posts: 2,654 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    LEJC.

I had a neighbour that had obvious dementure so I rang social services to see what care she had.
    It turned out she wasn't even registered with a doctor, the phone and gas had been cut off and social services didn't even know of her.
    I was about ten doors away and worked full time so I couldn't get my head around why nobody else had enquired.
    She got the full care package, the house cleaned up and hot food delivered, then when the time came she went into a home.
    A couple of years later she passed and a procession of visitors came looking for the house to see what they could claim- two sweet looking old ladies even knocked on my door to see if anyone had a key !!!!
  • LEJC
    LEJC Posts: 9,618 Forumite
    Options
    The weather is a risk factor in itself.

2 degrees forecast here tonight.

homelessness is probably quite a big problem in many cities across the country...it certainly is in our major town...although what is different about this case is perhaps that we dont live in the city...we are some distance out and almost semi rural so it's very unusual to find anyone in the area in this situation.

I cant help but think that she may have based herself away from the city for whatever reason and in choosing an area that is close to authority offices perhaps she is trying to be noticed.

Either way living in a bus shelter for a week or more cant be comfortable or presumably being done through choice...people seem to be just ignoring her..the bus passengers politely stand outside the shelter and dont seem to interact with her...maybe I need to be brave,bite the bullet and at least go and chat to her with a cup of coffee or some stew in hand...
    Ive no real experience in any of this and dont have a clue whats doing good or whether its just meddling...
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 179 out 145 in ...£18.64 spend
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,965 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    mhoc wrote: »
    another thought - what about an indoor tabletop stainless steel water feature. There is a website called Primrose that has numerous versions - they sit on your side table or coffee table and help with the humidity and ambience of a room :D

I don't know why I just thought of this, I think we have one still in a box i need to dig it out to go to the charity shop ....:D

Indoor water features create a queue for the loo!
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Options
    LEJC wrote: »
    I've signed up to the news letter so I remember the place and bookmarked the site....500 pieces looks interesting...a hint of difficulty but not impossible...

mulling it over whether to do a collage type one or just a single picture....

Lets throw this out to everyone to help me decide...is a collage effect going to be too difficult if they are perhaps novices at puzzles...I think the finished result might be more interesting and memory evoking of their grandaughters first year....

or should I opt for a very recent single photo of grandaughter now aged 2 1/2

thoughts please...all welcome

We were given a simple collage of pictures of our grandson (by his mum and dad) for his first Christmas so would have been his first six months. It is still on the wall, other single ones have been replaced but this is so nice as it is him in different moods etc.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »

We were working jn a garden with a big waterfall, I have never used a client's loo 3 times in a morning before :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • Serendipitious
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »

I have a friend who wouldn't thank anyone for one of these! She's having an op soon to see if it will help. :(

• gocat
    gocat Posts: 5,905 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    mhoc wrote: »
    Ive been to Mr Ts emporium this afternoon, OH decided to tag along which was not helpful.
    I got the selection boxes and yogurts firstly and OH started putting the main shopping in the trolley as well so he had to be persuaded not to. He said, why didn't you tell me what we were doing. Yes i am going to stand in the middle of a busy store explaining why i need to get 3 selection boxes and 3 sets of yogurt and then go through Ss tills scanning each item individually ....
    So that bit done we went and got the main shop - no u&g though :mad: I would like to know which of the MSe lurkers is loitering in my store, there is not enough room for 2 of us :D

That messed my shopping list up as i was trying to get to £30 with the addition of an £8.50 box of cat food to use a conditional spend so i ended up with 2 of these :(
    You know that you can get the slightly bigger u&g, its in the milk aisle in my T's. The smaller u&g are in the cereal aisle and didnt have anytoday, so I got 10 bigger ones for £1 each so 79p overage for each one but they dont compare to anywhere else. hth :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure