P&O ferries concessionary units

Options
Do any MSE forumites have recent experience of the P&O concessionary units scheme? Is it still worthwhile? I used to own shares many years ago, but sold them to help fund a house purchase. Now a family member who didn't sell his units wants to dispose of them - is it worth me buying them?
They seem to be valued at 20 pence each, £120 for the 600 units needed. The theoretical discount is 50% off Dover, Hull, or Cairnryan crossing fares. However, being cynical, in practice is this lower than the fares I can find on the P&O website? A Dover-Calais 'Saver' fare is already under half the 'Flexi' fare. The P&O website states that "These rules apply only to the vehicle and accompanying passenger rates set out in the Unit Holders Brochure and not to rates which have already been discounted", which to me seems to indicate that these fares might be artificially inflated. My relative doesn't have his brochure to check - probably disposed of it when it arrived as he didn't intend using P&O ferries.
Thanks for any recent knowledge you may be able to share.

Comments

• Makkc
    Options
    Last time I investigated this (May 15) it was more expensive to use the unitholder deals. However, if you book at the last minute and peak times then they may still give a saving if other discounts are not available. Did you buy the units? or did your family member sell/transfer them? I'm probably looking to try and get the 120GBP back as I haven't really used these for along while. wondering how to go about it as I've just found the certificate in a clear out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure