BMW what to do?

Options

Comments

• motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,477 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    The well-known engine failure in these cars is the timing chain.
    "The oil light came on and it started losing power" is not a symptom of a timing chain failure - but noise usually is, for quite some time before the tensioner fails. You make no mention of noise.

It's not exactly new news:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/23p5j5wzPtYflS7kFvmKVZf/bmw-deny-engine-failures-are-due-to-manufacturing-fault

It could be 12yrs old and no more than £2-3k worth, even in good health. And used N47 engines are going to be in VERY short supply...

+1

Timing chain failure is VERY common on these.

As is oil usage, yet people rarely check.

Also, the service interval is willfully too long on these cars.

My son has a 2009 120D - we get it serviced by the main dealer to the service schedule, then halfway between by a local mechanic with quality oil and a BMW filter.

We also have to check the car every 1,000 miles or so to top it up with oil if needs be.
  • motorguy
    Options
    nicolakate wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just wanted some advice to be honest, my pride and joy a 1 series 118d sport blew on Tuesday with 4 finance payment left.
    I was 500 yards from home when the amber oil light flashed and right away I started to loose power so I stopped the engine and called the AA.
    He wouldn't even look at the car said he needed to get it straight to the garage as Bmw have a known issue with the engine I have.

Once at my local garage they said the same thing, and to leave it with them and they would see what they can do. So now I have no car.
    I went to the local BMW garage and explained I may need a new car at which they offered me 1500 without a working engine as the spec inside is so good. I was looking at another 1 series but as the sales guy had a cant be arsed attitude and took a personal call whilst dealing with me so its put me off.
    My question is What can I do if the engine has blown I would have thought BMW have a duty to inform customers of the potential engine issue wouldn't they?.
    Ive been advised by my local (not bmw) garage that they should have recalled my car but they didn't obviously where do I stand.
    Im quit upset as if it cant be fixed im going to be starting again with no deposit to buy a new car and having to take finance again.
    Any advice would be fantastic please tia nicola

If i had just had your experience with a BMW, i'd rather !!!! on my hands and clap rather than buy another one.

What age is the car? Has it a full BMW history?

Was it the timing chain that snapped?
  • motorguy
    Options
    Strider590 wrote: »
    I'll go ahead and ask the obvious question........ When was the last time you "popped the hood" and checked the levels?

^^^^

This

These engines are known for oil usage and for needing extra oil changes - the oil goes very thin quite quickly.
  • motorguy
    Options
    bigjl wrote: »

And they will happily tell you to whistle if your 2.0d engine eats itself a few weeks out of warranty for a problem they have know about for years.

They WILL make a significant contribution IF the car has a full BMW service history.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    I have always been a firm believer in preventative maintenance, probably because it is cheaper than repairs.

Same here, however most folks can't do anything for themselves and fear being ripped off at garages, this is partly why in the current climate more and more people are buying new on finance/pcp/lease.

The rip off garage industry is choking itself, 2nd hand car values are falling and manufacturers are making cars that are essentially throw away items, with service intervals that don't look after the cars long term needs, instead they barely keep it good for the first 3 years.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • bigjl
    bigjl Posts: 6,457 Forumite
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    They WILL make a significant contribution IF the car has a full BMW service history.

How much did they pay you when your 2.0d packed up?
  • motorguy
    Options
    How much did they pay you when your 2.0d packed up?

My sons?

It hasnt - because we're extremely careful, have doubled the amount of servicing, keep it topped up with quality oil and we listen for any new "rattles" regularly.

The car has a Full BMW service history from new - he bought it at 5 years old, coming out out a 5 year maintenance pack warranty, and he takes the car back to that main dealer for each scheduled service since.

It has about 78K miles on it now, and he got it with 59K.

There have been reports of BMW paying 3/4 of the total cost or repair, however you would have to offset that against getting the work done cheaper elsewere by a non franchised dealer and maybe a good second hand engine (if you could find one)

They did a life enchancement upgrade (or some such term) to some cars known to be at risk, but his wasnt one of the engine numbers listed - i think the pre facelift cars (before 2009?) are most at risk.
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    They did a life enchancement upgrade (or some such term) to some cars known to be at risk, but his wasnt one of the engine numbers listed - i think the pre facelift cars (before 2009?) are most at risk.

You're right about the mods/enhancements and that earlier non-LCI cars being more at risk.

But the last mods were in March 2011 - so any N47 built before April 2011 has a potential risk.

Later cars should have minimal risk of a timing-chain failing.

BMW PuMA have all details of what can be done if a customer complains.

This sums it up though:

This is a translation from the BMW PuMA case for N47 timing chain issues... -

Attention:
    No repairs are allowed in vehicles with production date after 03/2011 and vehicles in which all existing measures have already been made. The sound now is the moment, the normal state of this world! No risk of broken chain!
  • motorguy
    Options
    Iceweasel wrote: »
    You're right about the mods/enhancements and that earlier non-LCI cars being more at risk.

But the last mods were in March 2011 - so any N47 built before April 2011 has a potential risk.

Later cars should have minimal risk of a timing-chain failing.

BMW PuMA have all details of what can be done if a customer complains.

This sums it up though:

This is a translation from the BMW PuMA case for N47 timing chain issues... -

Attention:
    No repairs are allowed in vehicles with production date after 03/2011 and vehicles in which all existing measures have already been made. The sound now is the moment, the normal state of this world! No risk of broken chain!

Yes, my sons is one of the engines at risk - though not enough of a risk for BMW to do something pre-emptively.

What surprises me is the hugely long service intervals and the fact the engine does, naturally use oil. So your engine could be very low on oil, the oil be old and at its end of life, and your timing chain / tensioner could be wearing excessively.

I dont think too many people check their oil until the oil pressure light (which they think is a low oil level light) comes on, and by then a lot of the damage could already be done.
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes, my sons is one of the engines at risk - though not enough of a risk for BMW to do something pre-emptively.

What surprises me is the hugely long service intervals and the fact the engine does, naturally use oil. So your engine could be very low on oil, the oil be old and at its end of life, and your timing chain / tensioner could be wearing excessively.

I dont think too many people check their oil until the oil pressure light (which they think is a low oil level light) comes on, and by then a lot of the damage could already be done.

There is no way that BMW will do anything pre-emptively as they would need to recall hundreds of thousands of engines - not all of which are going to fail - and there is no safety element in this - only a financial disaster for anyone who doesn't have a full service history.

As to 'lifting the bonnet' I remember a few years back there was a motoring organization doing free 'weekly checks' for people at several motorway service areas over a bank holiday weekend and they reported that over 75% of vehicles they checked had low oil levels, low coolant levels and low tyre pressures.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure