PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cheese on toast with a twist!

Options
My grandmother used to make a rather odd cheese on toast recipe when we were small and I've never come across it anywhere since so not sure whether it was a regional recipe - she was from Cheshire - or maybe an old war time recipe, so wondered whether anyone here has ever heard of it.

Basically, it's Cheshire cheese crumbled into milk and heated in a saucepan until it forms a thick gloop which is served on a thick slice of toasted white bread and seasoned with pepper.

It tastes much nicer than it looks and I've just attempted to create it using Wensleydale as a substitute but the milk split so I'm not sure what went wrong, although it tasted just as good.

Comments

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    bit of flour?
    Really just a welsh rarebit variation.
  • TravellingAbuela
    Options
    Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall makes his version with the addition of beer, mustard and worcestershire sauce! I haven't tried it but it does sound rather tasty!
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    My ma-in-law did the same and cooked it in a saucepan on the stove and it was delicious .I think her OH taught he to do it that way as he came from Tredegar
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 March 2016 at 11:12AM
    Options
    My mum used to make a cheese and onion soup which sounds revolting, but was absolutely delicious. It was white onions, stewed gently in some full-fat milk, with lots and lots of Cheshire cheese crumbled in. It was served really hot with lots of black pepper and crusty bread and it was so tasty. I keep meaning to have a go at making it but I'm sure it won't be the same.

Edited to add - this recipe looks very, very similar, but made with Cheshire cheese instead of Cheddar. And none of that garnishing faff :)
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Callie22 wrote: »
    My mum used to make a cheese and onion soup which sounds revolting, but was absolutely delicious. It was white onions, stewed gently in some full-fat milk, with lots and lots of Cheshire cheese crumbled in. It was served really hot with lots of black pepper and crusty bread and it was so tasty. I keep meaning to have a go at making it but I'm sure it won't be the same.
    Sounds like a heart attack in a dish :D but also sounds very tasty.
    I might have a go at that one day when I'm in all day and it's raining.

ETA: My Nana used to do cheese on toast like that described in the first post.
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My mum was born in Cheshire and she always made this but the secret is as follows -
    use an enamel plate (the camping type), cut the Cheshire cheese into slices, add a couple of tablespoons of milk (doesn't matter if add a bit too much) and grill under a hot grill. Obvs be very careful handling the red hot plate!

the top starts to brown but cheese stays soft. Yes, it sort of splits rather than melting like cheddar would (slightly lower fat content in the crumbly cheese is what makes the dish so yummy).

The cheese must be crumbly type, not cheddar type. You can add a small amount of very finely sliced onion if you want to.

just need some freash bread and butter.

Ok, that's me off to find an enamel plate! :D
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall makes his version with the addition of beer, mustard and worcestershire sauce! I haven't tried it but it does sound rather tasty!

He might have borrowed it from Mrs Beaton as there is an old welsh rarebit recipe of hers with beer.

It is nice with beer and mustard. I also tend to make it with a blend of cheeses - something strong like a mature cheddar and something stringy like edam.
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the replies guys. It wasn't anything like Welsh rarebit, it was runnier more like a gloopy sauce and made the toast go all soggy when poured over. It sounds horrendous, I know, but it was extremely delicious.
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    My ma-in-law did the same and cooked it in a saucepan on the stove and it was delicious .I think her OH taught he to do it that way as he came from Tredegar

Now that's interesting as I know she married an Irish man. I never met my grandfather, he was long gone before I was ever born.
  • Matron_Midge
    Options
    My Gran made this. It was a huge favourite of ours. She called it fried cheese and did it in an enamel dish on the hob. She used, Cheshire cheese, knob of butter and milk. Once it bubbled around the edges you stir and serve. Mmmmmm
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure