🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Best way to try to sell a timeshare?

Options
Hi all,

My mum and dad have held an RCI timeshare for a long number of years now, and have been very happy with it. Sadly they are no longer able to travel due to their health, and so need to sell.

They have premium weeks which may or may not help - 4 weeks at Christmas including Christmas week, and 2 weeks at Easter.

They've only just put it up for sale, so of course they may be lucky and find a buyer. But they realise they may well struggle with the way the timeshare market is.

So I thought I would try to help and post on here to see if anyone could recommend good places to advertise it being for sale?

If they eventually don't sell it, they'll hand it back - which is allowed. But they obviously want to at least try to sell. We've worked out, that they could wait for about 2.5 years before it would become more economical to hand it back, than to keep paying the annual maintenance fees.

Any thoughts? Many thanks.

Comments

• boots_babe
    boots_babe Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My parents are still trying to sell their timeshare weeks. Just thought I'd bump this up to see if anyone has any suggestions?

I've spent time googling but it's so hard to know what's legit and what's not with anything timeshare related.

Many thanks.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    My honest suggestion - offer it for free to get out of the fees involved.
  • boots_babe
    edited 2 January 2017 at 9:44PM
    Options
    They were about to hand it back to the timeshare company - so doing exactly what you say. But then they managed to let it out at the last moment, so are now keeping it until next year's fees are due.

The fees are only small, £200 per week. They've not NOT struggled to let out the weeks. But they just want rid of it so they don't have the hassle of letting it each time, so would rather sell.

If they don't sell by December this year when next fees are due, then yes they will just hand it back. But my mum and dad don't have much money so I'd rather try to help them get some money back if at all possible.

It's a shame as they've had many happy years at the apartment.
  • Raymondo111
    Options
    boots_babe wrote: »
    They were about to hand it back to the timeshare company - so doing exactly what you say. But then they managed to let it out at the last moment, so are now keeping it until next year's fees are due.

The fees are only small, £200 per week. They've not NOT been able to let out the weeks. But they just want rid of it so they don't have the hassle of letting it each time, so would rather sell.

If they don't sell by December this year when next fees are due, then yes they will just hand it back. But my mum and dad don't have much money so I'd rather try to help them get some money back if at all possible.

It's a shame as they've had many happy years at the apartment.

To be honest Timeshare is impossible to sell, just have a look on eBay there are probably loads on sale for £0.01 but very rarely do they sell because of the fees involved in changing over the ownership etc. Years ago Timeshares Resorts were selling weeks for a lot of money with a promise that it's an investment and you can guarantee quality accommodation sadly with a lot of the Resorts increasing their maintenance fees and not updating the Resorts people are no longer interested. If your parents can walk away at no cost I would suggest that they do it, make sure they do not sign up to one of the shyster Timeshare Exit Companies that have been popping up in the last couple of years as they will try to scam you out of money.

Good luck
  • budgetflyer
    budgetflyer Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    Options
    Worldwide timeshare hypermarket will sell it free.
  • boots_babe
    Options
    Thanks budgetflyer, I'll take a look at that. Do you have experience of selling through them?
  • Raymondo111
    Options
    Worldwide timeshare hypermarket will sell it free.

I had my Timeshare up for sale with them years ago and paid for advertising but never had one enquiry so take any information you see with a pinch of salt. Their Website shows some examples of what prices allegedly have been achieved but believe me nobody is really interested in Timeshare at the moment.

Don't get me wrong Timeshare if used correctly can be a good way to see the World in Timeshare Resorts if you use an exchange system ideally not RCI as their fees are expensive and there have been some reports on people not getting holidays in peak times/Resorts.

If I remember correctly the OP stated that maintenance costs per week were quite low, if this is the case would it be worth them taking on the Timeshares and with a bit of knowledge on exchanges they could have some really good holidays all over the World.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,854 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 4 January 2017 at 12:44AM
    Options
    walkerj3 wrote: »
    Get a brochure from SellMyTimeshare.tv, they are straight forward and you can list the week completely free of charge first to see if there is any interest.

And then you will be hit by some hard sell to pay lots of fees.

https://mindtimeshare.me/2015/10/28/dmas-investigation-on-monster-travel-recommends-termination-of-membership/

So how long have you worked for this company walkerj3
  • budgetflyer
    edited 4 January 2017 at 7:50AM
    Options
    World wide timeshare hypermarket have been in business for over 20 years. They wouldn't be if they didnt do what they say- buy and sell timeshares.
    Well I bought 2 high season weeks for 700 (350 per week) and used it for 4 years and sold it for 700. You don't need to pay advertising fees to sell - I didn't! and it sold within 6 weeks.
    Just remember , a timeshare has similar depreciation as buying a new car, so if your "High Season" week cost £10K "direct" 10 years ago, if you get a grand for it now then that's about right.
    Same goes if you are a buyer. If you can buy at 10p in the £ , then you are less likely to be disappointed.
  • budgetflyer
    edited 4 January 2017 at 8:07AM
    Options
    Rash, ill researched decisions = disappointment

I had my Timeshare up for sale with them years ago and paid for advertising but never had one enquiry so take any information you see with a pinch of salt. Their Website shows some examples of what prices allegedly have been achieved but believe me nobody is really interested in Timeshare at the moment.

Price it right, and it will sell.

Don't get me wrong Timeshare if used correctly can be a good way to see the World in Timeshare Resorts if you use an exchange system ideally not RCI as their fees are expensive and there have been some reports on people not getting holidays in peak times/Resorts.
    We used "Dial an Exchange" Free to join As we had a 2 bedroom HIGH SEASON in Tenerife, each week was worth 2 in their system.
    They are really good if you have a low demand week. It is still worth a 1 for 1 exchange.
    High value, i.e Disney, Marriott, Hilton etc I would put into RCI as RCI will offer similar matches

If I remember correctly the OP stated that maintenance costs per week were quite low, if this is the case would it be worth them taking on the Timeshares and with a bit of knowledge on exchanges they could have some really good holidays all over the World.As above, Dial an exchange
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport