Personal data on Friends Reunited

Options
I would strongly advise anyone who has an account on Friends Reunited to ensure that ALL of their personal data is removed as soon as possible - the site is closing down and who knows what will happen to your details ..... It could go adrift !!
And before anyone accuses me of Scaremongering - This is just common sense !!

Comments

• Oblivion
    Oblivion Posts: 20,248 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd forgotten I even had an account. I've just deleted everything from my profile, changed the name to a fictitious one and un-joined from the school.
    ... Dave
    Happily retired and enjoying my 14th year of leisure
    I am cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
    Bring me sunshine in your smile
  • dipsomaniac
    dipsomaniac Posts: 6,739 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    I would strongly advise anyone who has an account on Friends Reunited to ensure that ALL of their personal data is removed as soon as possible - the site is closing down and who knows what will happen to your details ..... It could go adrift !!
    And before anyone accuses me of Scaremongering - This is just common sense !!

better do that for all companies you have given personal data as the risks are the same imo
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
  • TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,382 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You might want to check the terms and conditions you agreed to when you signed up.

it is standard on sites like these that by joining, anything you post on the site is theirs to do with as they wish.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    i forgotten i'd got an account. :o
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    Deleting your account is probably pretty pointless, it'll just flag your account as 'closed' but not rebuild indexes etc. And fact is that data sitting in a disc of a company specifically set up to exploit it is far more likely to be exploited than when those discs are hosting something different.
  • Oblivion
    Oblivion Posts: 20,248 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    paddyrg wrote: »
    Deleting your account is probably pretty pointless, it'll just flag your account as 'closed' but not rebuild indexes etc. And fact is that data sitting in a disc of a company specifically set up to exploit it is far more likely to be exploited than when those discs are hosting something different.

I didn't actually delete my Friends Reunited account ... in fact I didn't even notice if there was a facility to do so. I changed my name to something silly and all of 'my' personal details and removed my photo, so the record is still alive just useless to anybody. :)
    ... Dave
    Happily retired and enjoying my 14th year of leisure
    I am cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
    Bring me sunshine in your smile
  • Mr_Toad
    Mr_Toad Posts: 2,462 Forumite
    Options
    Oblivion wrote: »
    I didn't actually delete my Friends Reunited account ... in fact I didn't even notice if there was a facility to do so. I changed my name to something silly and all of 'my' personal details and removed my photo, so the record is still alive just useless to anybody. :)

But all the archive data and backups still exist.

One of my friends dumped social media over a year ago, deleted everything and closed his accounts.

He still gets regular emails from all of them telling him he hasn't squeaked or posted in a while and why not come back.

They still have your info.
    One by one the penguins are slowly stealing my sanity.
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    So you're saying that the suff you put on the internet, on a site which is free for anyone to view, could get hacked?
    If someone wanted that info, why wouldn't they have logged on to Friends Reunited and just got it. Why would they wait until the website goes down, locate the old discs, undelete the files just to see stuff that was previously public?
  • TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,382 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You should always assume that anything you post to the internet is available for anyone to see ( despite any privacy setting you may think apply) and that it can never be deleted.
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    Options
    I found my old login details in a password database I used to use years ago. The site doesn't recognise the email which is one I no longer have anyway. I think they probably deleted the minimal info I added years ago through lack of use.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure