Dancing in the Rain

Options

Comments

• doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,747 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Thanks guys :)

Orange Ena, St Anthony did not come up trumps I’m afraid. Thanks for info re karch**. I like their stuff so I'll look out for deals. I liked the stripped bare programme. It puts into perspective what we ACTUALLY need :)

I should have gone to my voluntary work today but I didn’t. I have taken the day to sort myself out.

I searched all night for my travel card and it didn’t show up. I now face £20 for admin and as I don’t have a passport photo, £5 to get those done too. I do feel despondent about this, but what can I do about it? I am done with monthly paper travel cards. This cannot happen again. I’ll pay fares weekly from now on.

I went to the ticket office and have been asked to come back after 9.30am to sort it out

I’m on a training course Monday and Tuesday for work. I can get the fares back but I’ll have to pay upfront first. If they don’t send my new pass that’s what I’ll have to do

I could ask to work from home Thursday or Friday rather than pay fares? Or I could take a few days off?

The good news (determined to find some good news) is I started a 50p and £2 coin jar and there was £12 in there, so that helps towards it ;)

I’d like to get the application off before midday

I’d like to go for a swim and get my eyebrows threaded (only cost £3) This will come out of an already restricted budget but I am desperately in need of a boost

I probably only have £5 for eggs, lentils fruit and veg for next week. I should be okay eating from the freezer as I have lots of good quality protein

So, washing machine on, sun shining and onwards and upwards to the post office to get those passport photos

Have a good day
    DIA x
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • MuffinTops
    MuffinTops Posts: 2,477 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello DIA,

So sorry to hear about the loss of your pass. Can you claim anything back on it? Hopefully the ticket office can help you so you're not so out of pocket. How irritating!

Well done on getting the boots though. I'm totally supportive of that decision.

Your new voluntary application sounds really interesting. I hope that comes through.

I hope you're having a brighter day today.

MTx
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    Thanks MT, the new travel card application has gone off by snail mail so hopefully I should be sorted in a few days

A difficult day and very spendy too :o

I cycled to get passport photos. They should have cost £5 but the machine was faulty and it would not continue until I added an extra £1 :mad:

Got my travel card sorted. It took until 13.00 until they found the required data so I missed the morning swimming session. It cost £20 for admin, £6 for photos and 65p for a stamp AND I need to wait for it to come back by snail mail, so all the I have to pay fares in the meantime :mad:

Feeling stressed and want to cry. I know it isn’t life and death but having so little money left and 3 weeks to go until pay day has pushed me into a scared and anxious state. I’m regretting the boots and wouldn’t have bought them had I known this was going to happen :(

I began damage limitation. I phoned my line manager and explained what happened. She offered to let me work from home until Monday, by when my new travel card should have been delivered. This alone has saved me £24 :)

I’m glad I have no access to credit as I would have bought my way out of this feeling for sure

I didn’t eat all day as I was too stressed. Now I’m starving. Tonight, I am having a Greek salad with a few skinny lamb chops on the side :)

Later I intend to do my eyebrows :)

I hope your day was better than mine

DIA x
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • milasavesmoney
    milasavesmoney Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You differently need a lift! Eyebrows!!!
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    ^^^ what she said ..and don't cry. You're doing brilliantly, honest xxxx

Asking to work from home was an excellent call, well done for thinking of that and saves your annual leave too
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    I wish I didn't eat when I was stressed. Try not to be anxious. If you read back, you'll see that you have come through a lot worse. Take care.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,299 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    What an understanding line manager :)
    Keep plodding!
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • MuffinTops
    MuffinTops Posts: 2,477 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think the thing to focus on here is how losing your pass has meant some creative thinking and a tight "month/few weeks". I'm sure just a short time ago the loss of any money or a particularly expensive month would hang over you for a few months? I know that was definitely the case for me.

See this as how far you've come. In a few weeks this will be in your past and another pay day will have patched things up for you. It may just show that you need a little emergency buffer? I think you mentioned a free overdraft? I have that and it's an amazing help for me at times.

I know it's really upsetting to lose money, but it happens to us all and now you are able to bounce back pretty quickly after that happens. Please see this as more of a positive on your new life tools rather than the negative that I don't think you really could have prevented.

You're doing a fantastic job and handling this is another indication of that.

I hope you're feeling brighter today. MTxx
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    Thank you to all the lovely people who took the time to post encouragement :A

I am back on track. I have put yesterday behind me. These things happen. It impacted me more than I would have liked because I was already having a very tight month and it pushed me. But, It really is okay. We are not a family of sailors but I remember being told ‘worse things have happened at sea’ and they have.

I have £7 a week until payday :eek: but I have coffee and tea and stuff in the freezer. I’ll buy eggs and lentils and I’ll walk up to Tesc* each evening and score very cheap veggies. I will buy chocolate if I need it. That’s my plan.;)

The weather is supposed to be good on Sunday. I’m going to ask a friend with a car if she fancies doing a car boot sale ;)

As MT noted I need an emergency fund. I do, I will get one in place so this cannot happen again.

As Beanielou pointed out I was lucky to be able to WFH for a few days and to have such an understanding manager. :)

As INOD pointed out I have been through worse if I look back and I’m okay :)

As Brizzled pointed out I am doing great. She’s right, I am! :)

17 days is not a long time. It will be fine. This will be a good life lesson.

Today is my 4th NSD during July

I decluttered an old top recycled into a dishcloth, a joyless top to CS and binned some dodgy hair stuff.

My application for the new voluntary job has been sent :T

3 Good things

Murray is on target for Wimbledon success :T

I plucked my own eyebrows and they look fab :)

My dining table is clear of clutter and has been cleaned :o

Happy Thursday
    DIA x

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • milasavesmoney
    milasavesmoney Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Great report to your diary! That you have taken this lump and are pushing forward is very inspiring. It happens, for you, to be a financial hardship but I think your type of determination could be applied to any situation. Very inspiring!
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family