OOOO ebay sellers and extra postage for Northern Ireland

BatCat
BatCat Posts: 474 Forumite
GAH!
It makes my blood boil.
I bought a stroller off of ebay :
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PETITE-STAR-ZIA-Stroller-with-RECLINE-From-BIRTH-NEW_W0QQitemZ150155306969QQihZ005QQcategoryZ66700QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

as it looked to be just what I was after and even better it had 'free postage for the UK'. Wahoo says I, they don't specify the UK mainland. Then I get an email from the seller going "ooo you're in Northern Ireland, you need to pay extra as you're 'offshore' ". But surely, I reply, Northern Ireland is part of the UK and you said you do free postage to the UK. To which they replied (let's not forget now that they said in the item listing in a few places that they offered free postage) :
[FONT=Arial, Verdana]"We cannot possibly provide FREE postage to Northern Ireland"
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
Then why say you did? They claim they've now changed the listing, but a quick search on ebay shows they are still advertising claiming they offer free UK postage.
grrrrrrr
BatCat

[/FONT]

Comments

• rjh090384
    rjh090384 Posts: 2,224 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    i wouldnt pay for the item they have no leg to stand on. report them to ebay alos for false advertising.
    love you lots like jelly tots :o
  • miserly_mum
    miserly_mum Posts: 1,065 Forumite
    That has happened to me a few times too. Postage is the same to anywhere in Uk including northern ireland Channel Islands etc. if they use Royal Mail. I know Couriers do charge more to deliver over here but thats up to the individual seller to state this when they list an item, and many do.
    How does a brown cow give white milk, when it only eats green grass?
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    wait 7 days then raise an item not received dispute. they will get a strike from ebay for not delivering it.
  • miserly_mum
    miserly_mum Posts: 1,065 Forumite
    pgilc1 wrote: »
    wait 7 days then raise an item not received dispute. they will get a strike from ebay for not delivering it.
    Wish i'd thought of that
    How does a brown cow give white milk, when it only eats green grass?
  • Cat72
    Cat72 Posts: 2,398 Forumite
    For me a lot of the problem lies with ebay who only offer the service of UK postage and not UK MAINLAND. The seller doe state that items are delivered by courier so postage will be dearer for any offshore places.However he has failed to add this in as an extra on the listings .
    I sell items that are courier only and it drives me to distaction that there are no where on the postage prices nor a UK MAINLAND section. I do however write it twice on the listing yet several times have bidders from sky, orkney, northern ireland buying items that have never read the full listing- as many ebayers never do .Unfortunately it is not sellers faults that couriers charge very hefty charges for offshore- my courier charges an extra £18 for northern ireland- plus vat- and sometimes more for other areas .
    However the seller should put a seperate delivery details section stating that offshore postage is either dearer or not possable.
    Im sorry OP you never got your buggy . maybe you could contact this seller or other sellers to ask if it is possable to arrange your own courier to collect the item , as it might be cheaper for you to get a courier locally?
    If not you can report them to ebay for miselading advertising but they can still neg you and file a non- payer strike.So probably your best bet is to start a mutual aggreement where you both have decided not to proceed with the sale ( this way you wont get a strike ) and then report them to ebay for misleading selling if they dont alter their listings.
    Unfortunately they wont if you havent paid for it.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Cat72 wrote: »

Maybe i read too much into it but i thought they had paid - 'I bought a stroller off ebay' and 'you need to pay extra', but yes, if the O/P hasnt paid then they wont be able to raise an item not received dispute.
  • cam8
    cam8 Posts: 87 Forumite
    When the listing states Sellers Standard Rate, I would always ask the seller if the delivery price includes NI, particularly when DHL and other couriers are mentioned.

Parcelforce is also more expensive to send stuff to us in NI too.

It only seems to be Royal Mail that don't charge extra.

I've sold stuff on ebay and sent to England and always use Royal Mail and never had a problem.
  • Bigcammy
    Bigcammy Posts: 1,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've had my fingers burnt on this one and I'm very very careful about checking this before buying anything bulky. A few suppliers have told me they no longer use Royal Mail as they were losing an average of 4% of items sent that way, hence they use other couriers. It's very frustrating and really is a case of buyer beware.
    Norn Iron Club Member No. 252 :beer:
  • BatCat
    BatCat Posts: 474 Forumite
    Cat72 wrote: »
    For me a lot of the problem lies with ebay who only offer the service of UK postage and not UK MAINLAND. The seller doe state that items are delivered by courier so postage will be dearer for any offshore places.However he has failed to add this in as an extra on the listings .
    I sell items that are courier only and it drives me to distaction that there are no where on the postage prices nor a UK MAINLAND section. I do however write it twice on the listing yet several times have bidders from sky, orkney, northern ireland buying items that have never read the full listing- as many ebayers never do .Unfortunately it is not sellers faults that couriers charge very hefty charges for offshore- my courier charges an extra £18 for northern ireland- plus vat- and sometimes more for other areas .
    However the seller should put a seperate delivery details section stating that offshore postage is either dearer or not possable.
    Im sorry OP you never got your buggy . maybe you could contact this seller or other sellers to ask if it is possable to arrange your own courier to collect the item , as it might be cheaper for you to get a courier locally?
    If not you can report them to ebay for miselading advertising but they can still neg you and file a non- payer strike.So probably your best bet is to start a mutual aggreement where you both have decided not to proceed with the sale ( this way you wont get a strike ) and then report them to ebay for misleading selling if they dont alter their listings.

Hi,
    Thanks so much for the posts folks!! Very much appreciated.
    I have paid for it. I paid by Paypal shortly after I did a 'Buy it now'. They then sent me an email asking for more postage and are refusing to send the buggy until I send them more money.
    How do I raise an 'item not received dispute' and can they still neg me if I do?
    Thanks,
    BatCat
  • You could post your dilema on ebays Q&A board. They know just about everything there and can give some excellant advise.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure