Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BatCat
    • By BatCat 27th Aug 07, 9:49 AM
    • 472Posts
    • 181Thanks
    BatCat
    OOOO ebay sellers and extra postage for Northern Ireland
    • 27th Aug 07, 9:49 AM
    OOOO ebay sellers and extra postage for Northern Ireland 27th Aug 07 at 9:49 AM
    GAH!
    It makes my blood boil.
    I bought a stroller off of ebay :
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PETITE-STAR-ZIA-Stroller-with-RECLINE-From-BIRTH-NEW_W0QQitemZ150155306969QQihZ005QQcategoryZ66700Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

as it looked to be just what I was after and even better it had 'free postage for the UK'. Wahoo says I, they don't specify the UK mainland. Then I get an email from the seller going "ooo you're in Northern Ireland, you need to pay extra as you're 'offshore' ". But surely, I reply, Northern Ireland is part of the UK and you said you do free postage to the UK. To which they replied (let's not forget now that they said in the item listing in a few places that they offered free postage) :
    "We cannot possibly provide FREE postage to Northern Ireland"

Then why say you did? They claim they've now changed the listing, but a quick search on ebay shows they are still advertising claiming they offer free UK postage.
    grrrrrrr
    BatCat

Page 1
    • rjh090384
    • By rjh090384 27th Aug 07, 9:53 AM
    • 2,218 Posts
    • 4,065 Thanks
    rjh090384
    • 27th Aug 07, 9:53 AM
    • 27th Aug 07, 9:53 AM
    i wouldnt pay for the item they have no leg to stand on. report them to ebay alos for false advertising.
    love you lots like jelly tots
  • miserly_mum
    • 27th Aug 07, 11:37 AM
    • 27th Aug 07, 11:37 AM
    That has happened to me a few times too. Postage is the same to anywhere in Uk including northern ireland Channel Islands etc. if they use Royal Mail. I know Couriers do charge more to deliver over here but thats up to the individual seller to state this when they list an item, and many do.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 27th Aug 07, 1:17 PM
    • 17,873 Posts
    • 10,900 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 27th Aug 07, 1:17 PM
    • 27th Aug 07, 1:17 PM
    wait 7 days then raise an item not received dispute. they will get a strike from ebay for not delivering it.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
  • miserly_mum
    • 27th Aug 07, 1:32 PM
    wait 7 days then raise an item not received dispute. they will get a strike from ebay for not delivering it.
    Originally posted by pgilc1
    Wish i'd thought of that
  • Cat72
    For me a lot of the problem lies with ebay who only offer the service of UK postage and not UK MAINLAND. The seller doe state that items are delivered by courier so postage will be dearer for any offshore places.However he has failed to add this in as an extra on the listings .
    I sell items that are courier only and it drives me to distaction that there are no where on the postage prices nor a UK MAINLAND section. I do however write it twice on the listing yet several times have bidders from sky, orkney, northern ireland buying items that have never read the full listing- as many ebayers never do .Unfortunately it is not sellers faults that couriers charge very hefty charges for offshore- my courier charges an extra £18 for northern ireland- plus vat- and sometimes more for other areas .
    However the seller should put a seperate delivery details section stating that offshore postage is either dearer or not possable.
    Im sorry OP you never got your buggy . maybe you could contact this seller or other sellers to ask if it is possable to arrange your own courier to collect the item , as it might be cheaper for you to get a courier locally?
    If not you can report them to ebay for miselading advertising but they can still neg you and file a non- payer strike.So probably your best bet is to start a mutual aggreement where you both have decided not to proceed with the sale ( this way you wont get a strike ) and then report them to ebay for misleading selling if they dont alter their listings.
    Unfortunately they wont if you havent paid for it.
    Last edited by Cat72; 27-08-2007 at 1:35 PM.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 27th Aug 07, 2:21 PM
    • 17,873 Posts
    • 10,900 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 27th Aug 07, 2:21 PM
    • 27th Aug 07, 2:21 PM

Originally posted by Cat72
    Maybe i read too much into it but i thought they had paid - 'I bought a stroller off ebay' and 'you need to pay extra', but yes, if the O/P hasnt paid then they wont be able to raise an item not received dispute.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
  • cam8
    • 27th Aug 07, 6:42 PM
    • 27th Aug 07, 6:42 PM
    When the listing states Sellers Standard Rate, I would always ask the seller if the delivery price includes NI, particularly when DHL and other couriers are mentioned.

Parcelforce is also more expensive to send stuff to us in NI too.

It only seems to be Royal Mail that don't charge extra.

I've sold stuff on ebay and sent to England and always use Royal Mail and never had a problem.
    • Bigcammy
    • By Bigcammy 28th Aug 07, 9:35 AM
    • 1,042 Posts
    • 573 Thanks
    Bigcammy
    • 28th Aug 07, 9:35 AM
    • 28th Aug 07, 9:35 AM
    I've had my fingers burnt on this one and I'm very very careful about checking this before buying anything bulky. A few suppliers have told me they no longer use Royal Mail as they were losing an average of 4% of items sent that way, hence they use other couriers. It's very frustrating and really is a case of buyer beware.
    • BatCat
    • By BatCat 28th Aug 07, 9:55 AM
    • 472 Posts
    • 181 Thanks
    BatCat
    For me a lot of the problem lies with ebay who only offer the service of UK postage and not UK MAINLAND. The seller doe state that items are delivered by courier so postage will be dearer for any offshore places.However he has failed to add this in as an extra on the listings .
    I sell items that are courier only and it drives me to distaction that there are no where on the postage prices nor a UK MAINLAND section. I do however write it twice on the listing yet several times have bidders from sky, orkney, northern ireland buying items that have never read the full listing- as many ebayers never do .Unfortunately it is not sellers faults that couriers charge very hefty charges for offshore- my courier charges an extra 18 for northern ireland- plus vat- and sometimes more for other areas .
    However the seller should put a seperate delivery details section stating that offshore postage is either dearer or not possable.
    Im sorry OP you never got your buggy . maybe you could contact this seller or other sellers to ask if it is possable to arrange your own courier to collect the item , as it might be cheaper for you to get a courier locally?
    If not you can report them to ebay for miselading advertising but they can still neg you and file a non- payer strike.So probably your best bet is to start a mutual aggreement where you both have decided not to proceed with the sale ( this way you wont get a strike ) and then report them to ebay for misleading selling if they dont alter their listings.

Originally posted by Cat72
    Hi,
    Thanks so much for the posts folks!! Very much appreciated.
    I have paid for it. I paid by Paypal shortly after I did a 'Buy it now'. They then sent me an email asking for more postage and are refusing to send the buggy until I send them more money.
    How do I raise an 'item not received dispute' and can they still neg me if I do?
    Thanks,
    BatCat
  • Wickedwitchofthewest
    You could post your dilema on ebays Q&A board. They know just about everything there and can give some excellant advise.
    • Cee
    • By Cee 29th Aug 07, 3:00 PM
    • 235 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    Cee
    Its annoying that too many companies online do this, I wanted to buy some books from the BookPeople once but by the time you added your postage the Price wasn't anycheaper that amazon, so that the discounted items were'nt that.

Ironically, we get the Book People in the office every month selling a selection of random cheap ones, all usually the same kak, cookery or childrens books that are for the younger reader. It don't matter telling them now that we want an older selection they still think ours are babies... anyway... i digress.

I've visited countless sites for computer parts etc that add extra costing of postage for the smallest thing.

Its a big con and ebay is one of the worse, there are so many out there selling items for 99p for example but add a fiver to "cover the postage cost!" and we know it would never come to that in a million years...
    • Witless
    • By Witless 30th Aug 07, 11:59 PM
    • 686 Posts
    • 3,763 Thanks
    Witless
    Happy to say - my experience is just the opposite!

Just had a superb service from a car spares outfit in Wales.

I bought a full set of leather seats & door cards for my estate car - according to the convoy note the total weight was 400 lbs. (must be lbs - couldn't be kilos, could it?) It was a full pallet full - IYKWIM.

Ordered/paid Tues, collected from supplier by carrier (a subcontractor for TNT) Wed, delivered this afternoon.

Total carriage cost - £50; which I thought was excellent given the weight & way they were packaged.

I've found that with TNT/Parcelforce type carriers they don't charge extra to NI, they charge by weight - if you discuss it with the seller (ie - by phone if possible) then normally the'll do it at the same rate.

I think the only firm I use that charges extra is a computer consumable outfit (not naming them as I'm not sure about the advertising rules) but even at that at least one weekend a month they seem to do discounted postal rates - 99p to NI on orders over £30 or £50, depending on how they feel. Even at full rates it's still worth it as their prices are so cheap.

(If anyone wants the link for blank CDs/DVDs, printer inks, paper etc - PM me)
    Last edited by Witless; 31-08-2007 at 12:00 AM. Reason: typos / spelling
    • steveymp
    • By steveymp 31st Aug 07, 12:42 PM
    • 2,677 Posts
    • 3,103 Thanks
    steveymp
    That would be SVP then Witless, they are long term friends of MSE'ers and extend their offers to NI too

Their competition have recently seen the light too and disk depot etc.... now do NI offers too, but I'd stick with SVP totally fantastic company and great customer service, even to Our Wee Country
    I am trying, honest very trying according to my dear OH
    • Witless
    • By Witless 1st Sep 07, 4:49 PM
    • 686 Posts
    • 3,763 Thanks
    Witless
    Totally fantastic is the term; it's one of the very few genuine 'no quibble' guarantees I've ever seen.
    • Pam17
    • By Pam17 2nd Sep 07, 9:34 AM
    • 2,925 Posts
    • 1,359 Thanks
    Pam17
    Just out of curiosity - Do Norn Iron, Channel Island and Scottish Island sellers charge "UK Mainland" dwellers extra for postage?

If not perhaps we should.
    • Parisien
    • By Parisien 2nd Sep 07, 10:21 AM
    • 911 Posts
    • 176 Thanks
    Parisien
    Witless,Steveymp..whats the name of the firm you are talking about, contact details etc....of fav courier/delivery service?
  • Cat72
    How do I raise an 'item not received dispute' and can they still neg me if I do?
    Thanks,
    BatCat
    If you go into your account in the MY EBAY page if you scroll down the left hand side there are different options in a box- like my messages, my account etc. The last one is DISPUTE CONSOLE if you go through this section you can raise an item not recieved dispute.
    I may add that I have tried really hard to get a courier who would not charge extra for any isles but havent found one. I cant send my items royal mail/parcel force because they are over their size limits plus the royal mail standard parcels has no tracking service or proof of delivery that paypal require. If you send your item with no proof of delivery you may as well just give a seller it for free as they can easily claim it was not recieved & do a charge back. It is the courier companies & ebay who need to sort out this problem- ebay to change the listings and the couriers to get a cheaper way of transporting items to offshore places.Saying that although royal mail are cheaper they run at a loss anyway and will probably be revising the whole system.I know a lot of people on isles have huge problems getting deliverys of furniture, carpets , large items etc but its due to the ferry services not the sellers .
    I gladily allow buyers to get their own couriers if they live in n ireland or offshore if is cheaper for them but no one has ever don it yet. Its not me making the profit from the huge delivery charges its the couriers. Again If you can get your own cheaper courier service emailling the seller to ask if you can get your own courier should be an option.
    Good luck OP getting your money back if you need any advice getting your dispute settled just let me know. I would think it would be hugely unfair of the seller to neg you- so let us know how it progresses so we can try & prevent this.
    Last edited by Cat72; 02-09-2007 at 10:45 AM.
    • Parisien
    • By Parisien 7th Sep 07, 5:49 PM
    • 911 Posts
    • 176 Thanks
    Parisien
    bump this hoping Witless and Steveymp....read it!!

PS As above....!
    • Witless
    • By Witless 7th Sep 07, 8:32 PM
    • 686 Posts
    • 3,763 Thanks
    Witless
    That would be SVP then Witless, they are long term friends of MSE'ers and extend their offers to NI too

Their competition have recently seen the light too and disk depot etc.... now do NI offers too, but I'd stick with SVP totally fantastic company and great customer service, even to Our Wee Country
    Originally posted by steveymp

This firm?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

131Posts Today

1,238Users online

Martin's Twitter