Domestic & General Insulation - still trading or defunct?

Options
I sense this company no longer exists because the phone is not answered and the website is "under construction". If so it is bleak news for those with wall insulation and other works. Are any of the good folks on the Forum able to enlighten me on this company please?

Comments

• maninthestreet
    Options
    Have checked the company status on the companies house website??
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • WestonDave
    WestonDave Posts: 5,154 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I've a feeling they said they were ceasing trading a while back - memory is that it was something to do with all the additional hurdles around the Green Deal making it uneconomic for them to operate as they did.
    Adventure before Dementia!
  • WestonDave
    WestonDave Posts: 5,154 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    There's a voluntary liquidation document filed on 5th January 2015 which suggests that it is indeed closing down if not already closed down by now.
    Adventure before Dementia!
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options
    I have just had it confirmed that they ceased late December 2014.

I did not approve of the way they operated. DGI were proof of the old adage "you can fool all of the people some of the time and some of the people all of the time." The problem was DGI tried to fool all of the people all of the time and this was bound to end in failure.

But DGI operated in a similar manner to its competitors - though they are less ruthless, and, unlike DGI they believe the law should be followed.

Another "home improvement" scam company bites the dust would be a fitting epitaph.
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options
    To update my post for the benefit of all consumers in the United Kingdom.

The Directors of DGI set up a new company called ThermaBead operating from the same address as DGI at Worcester. Which begs the question has ThermaBead decided to make a fresh start and depart the dodgy practice that was a feature of DGI? Consider the following...

Around two months ago I witnessed a man in my front garden scratching my brickwork and probing the bricks. I challenged him asking what he was up to? He responded that he worked for ThermaBead and he was assessing my home for cavity wall insulation. I requested a calling card and ID - he said he did not carry such items! My response was he was not welcome and to clear out of my garden - he had not been invited. Further, he was not to damage my home. Finally, my home was fully insulated yet he could not understand this.

This man was unprofessional, ignorant and incompetent. Basically, a con man. I suggest ThermaBead are following the example previously set by DGI.

All consumers would be wise to avoid ThermaBead. I suggest this company is a reincarnation of a cavity wall insulation scam company.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure