Income Support on an Apprenticeship?

Options
I know this question has probably been asked a few times, but im currently on a 12 month apprenticeship (about 6 months into it) amd I get paid £645 a month, im looking to move into a studio flat not far from my work, I can no longer live with my family as we have had a complete relationship breakdown which has lead to physical abuse on my part, im 18 and have seen a flat for £575 a month which really doesnt leave me with much, especially if I lose a few days to sickness or something. Can I recieve any low income support?

Also a friend if mine is interested in renting a 2 bedroom place, which would be cheaper for me working out to around £400 for rent every month, but could I still get income support?

Comments

• Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Your income would be too high for income support. You may get some get help with your rent and council tax though.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • CharlieConCarne
    Options
    Thats kindnof what I mean, any idea where i'd get the help?
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    To get help with rent, you need to have a tenancy agreement in place first. You need to then apply to the council where you can then apply for council tax support at the same time.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • merlin68
    merlin68 Posts: 2,405 Forumite
    Options
    The fact that your 18, means they will only pay the shared room rate.
    You need to google your local councils LHA rate and it will tell you the max they will pay.
  • CharlieConCarne
    Options
    So I'd need to move in and be living there and then apply for the help? Any idea how long that'd take? Dont want to be scrimping for too long and i know local councils can take weeks
  • CharlieConCarne
    Options
    My local LHA rate for a shared place is £63.50 is that month or pw?
  • merlin68
    merlin68 Posts: 2,405 Forumite
    Options
    Its per week. But that is the max you will get, your income will be knocked of so you might not end up with any award.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Could you look at a bedsit or hostel room (like YMCA)? I lived in them for years from age 17-20 as it was all I could afford. To be honest a flat share with all the bills would have left me in a nightmare of debt.

I would have thought you'd need to contribute to a deposit for the flat as well.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,548 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    im 18 and have seen a flat for £575 a month
    My local LHA rate for a shared place is £63.50 is that month or pw?
    The LHA rate of £275 per month is the maximum amount you would receive if you were on full benefits and is the amount used in the housing benefit calculations, meaning that you would have to pay the first £300 and see if you qualified for any HB to help with the remainder (based on your income this could be a very minor amount or even zero) have you looked at the full costs involved in having your own place, council tax. utility bills etc - on your current income this would be a real struggle (if not impossible) aside from the fact you could find it difficult to find somewhere to rent as many landlords will not rent to those on benefits (due to mortgage or insurance conditions) Many landlords also have a ratio of salary v's rent so with rent being almost 90% of the rent you will likely fail on affordability checks. You would also need a deposit and rent in advance...how much are you currently saving each month?
    Hostel room or possibly room in shared house would be more appropriate if you have no options but to move out
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure