Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • edwink
    • By edwink 7th Jul 15, 5:07 PM
    • 1,954Posts
    • 12,963Thanks
    edwink
    Keeping hens and ducks chat!! Hens & ducks names & how many eggs do you get per day
    • 7th Jul 15, 5:07 PM
    Keeping hens and ducks chat!! Hens & ducks names & how many eggs do you get per day 7th Jul 15 at 5:07 PM
    As a hen and cockerel keeper myself I thought it would be interesting to ask what you name your hens and cockerels. And also ask how many eggs you are getting every day!! I know the egg laying changes when hens moult but just thought it would be interesting to see how many eggs you get. I have hens that are named Bluebell (typical name I think!!!), Muesli, cornflake and scarecrow plus some others. I am getting around 4 to 6 eggs a day at the moment!! Had a delicious egg salad for supper last night OMG it was lovely!!!

Edwink

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by edwink; 02-02-2017 at 6:36 PM.
Page 78
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 4th Apr 18, 9:40 AM
    • 11,197 Posts
    • 29,928 Thanks
    suki1964
    Dizzy, try a farm supply shop if you are anywhere near the country, pet shops are so expensive

I just spent 14 on corn and pellets. Both 25kg bags, the corn will last most of the year, the pellets 2 weeks

I also use dust free shavings for in the coop. A compressed bag lasts about six full cleans ( Ive a dozen hens at the moment , usually more) and for the run I go to the saw mill and get two builder ton bags of scalpings ( the shavings of the trees) for 8. They are fantastic as when they are nice and dry and fresh the hens love digging around them looking for grubs, then as they get wetter, they just mulch into the ground

My hens eat nearly anything/ We don't give any of the onion family and they aren't keen on carrots, but everything else is just gobbled up. I boil up the potato peelings along with the cauliflower stalks and rough cabbage leaves and they love it. They also get the plate scrapings - roast chicken as well. If I crack an egg - they get it back scrambled. Oh and they go batty for spaghetti and pasta. Bread, cheese, ham, cat food, they gobble it all up. And I hope you aren't squeamish as they are pretty partial to mice

This coming week they get to go into the vegetable plot to dig it up before we start to plant out. The ducks are very helpful with this job as they dig out slug and snail eggs which helps to keep the pests at bay

The 19th will soon be here
    if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 5th Apr 18, 6:37 PM
    • 11,197 Posts
    • 29,928 Thanks
    suki1964
    Poor Geoffrey

Found her in the front garden there this afternoon, standing on one leg

Went to get her and she was covered in blood, looks like she's been hit by a car

How she even got near a road I don't know. The garden is secure to the front. To get to a road she would have needed to have gone over two fields at the back. To have turned up at the front of the house she would then have to have walked along a fast main road, past the fella on the corner and on up to ours, how would she have even known what was our house??

So anyways we thought we were going to have to do the deed, but on closer inspection its just her middle toe thats mangled, she has full movement in the leg and the other toes. So we have cleaned her up, splinted the toe and have her in a box in the garage. She dived straight into the food so fingers crossed she makes it

She's a right character, we have had her a good while. I no longer name the hens, she's one of the few that has one
    if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 5th Apr 18, 7:21 PM
    • 37,628 Posts
    • 139,270 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Poor Geoffrey

Found her in the front garden there this afternoon, standing on one leg

Went to get her and she was covered in blood, looks like she's been hit by a car

How she even got near a road I don't know. The garden is secure to the front. To get to a road she would have needed to have gone over two fields at the back. To have turned up at the front of the house she would then have to have walked along a fast main road, past the fella on the corner and on up to ours, how would she have even known what was our house??

So anyways we thought we were going to have to do the deed, but on closer inspection its just her middle toe thats mangled, she has full movement in the leg and the other toes. So we have cleaned her up, splinted the toe and have her in a box in the garage. She dived straight into the food so fingers crossed she makes it

She's a right character, we have had her a good while. I no longer name the hens, she's one of the few that has one
    Originally posted by suki1964
    Oh dear! Poor little love.

Give her a cuggle from me.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 6th Apr 18, 12:48 AM
    • 11,197 Posts
    • 29,928 Thanks
    suki1964
    Oh I found that picture of the girls having a sneaky play one the slide

• Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 6th Apr 18, 7:03 AM
    • 37,628 Posts
    • 139,270 Thanks
    Pyxis
    So, what does "wheeeeeeee!" sound like in Cluck?
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• suki1964
    • By suki1964 10th Apr 18, 6:06 PM
    • 11,197 Posts
    • 29,928 Thanks
    suki1964
    Geoffrey Im afraid is no longer with us
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 10th Apr 18, 6:09 PM
    • 37,628 Posts
    • 139,270 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Oh.

That's so very sad.
    Gone to the Great Coop in the sky.

However, she had a wonderful life with you Suki, in hen paradise on Earth, so no hen could ask for more.
    You did her proud.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• suki1964
    • By suki1964 10th Apr 18, 6:14 PM
    • 11,197 Posts
    • 29,928 Thanks
    suki1964
    Oh.

That's so very sad.
    Gone to the Great Coop in the sky.

However, she had a wonderful life with you Suki, in hen paradise on Earth, so no hen could ask for more.
    You did her proud.
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    Well I hope she had a happy life, a better life then a farm chicken at any rate

Thats 3 we have lost this year. Ive told Mr Suki we aren't replacing now, let these ones live their lives out and thats it

I don't like animals dying, even though I know they must, I kind of distance myself and don't allow myself to feel, unfortunately every time one goes, I disconnect more from the rest
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 10th Apr 18, 7:13 PM
    • 37,628 Posts
    • 139,270 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Well I hope she had a happy life, a better life then a farm chicken at any rate

Thats 3 we have lost this year. Ive told Mr Suki we aren't replacing now, let these ones live their lives out and thats it

I don't like animals dying, even though I know they must, I kind of distance myself and don't allow myself to feel, unfortunately every time one goes, I disconnect more from the rest
    I've had many animals over the years, and felt a loss every time one of them died. Some a lot, lot more than others. The worst of all being one particular hamster, one particular cat, and by far the worst were my dogs.

However, the way I look at it is this: the absolute joy they give me when they are with me outweighs the appalling grief I feel when they die. That grief is terrible, but it does slowly subside, whereas the memory of the joy they gave me never does subside.

You gotta bear the troughs to have the highs. I'd rather have both than be a flatliner!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• edwink
    • By edwink 11th Apr 18, 2:41 PM
    • 1,954 Posts
    • 12,963 Thanks
    edwink
    Aww bless her. That is so sad and such a shame.

I am sure she had a much better life with you Suki than having a farm life.

Take care

Edwink
    3.36 kWp system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solar Edge Inverter
    6 ducks ~ 4 hens ~ 1 handsome Cockerel
    2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing Hybrid Toyota Auris car

Hens & ducks chat thread
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
    • StarShapedPeg
    • By StarShapedPeg 11th Apr 18, 8:06 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 306 Thanks
    StarShapedPeg
    So sorry Suki
    You gave her more than she ever expected.x
    #138 - The "Save 12k in 2017" challenge
    #019 - The Save 12k in 2018 challenge
    • ali-t
    • By ali-t 12th Apr 18, 3:58 PM
    • 3,736 Posts
    • 6,327 Thanks
    ali-t
    That's interesting. Nice to know that you're not riddled with red tape. Bureaucracy being sensible for once!

So, do you add up the total cost of feed etc. and then divide by the number of eggs per year to arrive at a price per egg?
    I have been away from the thread for a while but we dont do any maths to work out the price - just make sure they are slightly cheaper than the shops. We profit in summer and have losses through the winter. We charge 1 for the boxes with small eggs and 1.30 for the ones with big eggs.
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
    • edwink
    • By edwink 12th Apr 18, 4:45 PM
    • 1,954 Posts
    • 12,963 Thanks
    edwink
    We profit in summer and have losses through the winter.
    Originally posted by ali-t
    It is exactly the same for us. Especially true for our duck eggs as the ducks stop laying throughout the winter whereas the hens carry on laying albeit quite a few less eggs.

Sorry I didn't answer the question you posted about this subject some time ago Pyxis. It has jogged my memory seeing ali-t's post today. OOPS I don't normally forget things like that.

We charge 1.80 for six for our hens eggs and 2.30 for six for our ducks eggs. We have 2 regular customers who have a dozen a week each if we have them. Plus other customers as and when they need them. Hubby has regular duck egg sales through the summer months from colleagues at work. We more often than not have a waiting list for both the hens and the duck eggs. We keep the wrinkled ones (from very old hens), Freckled ones (from really old hens) and any that are small in size. It is those eggs that we get our favourite homemade egg and chips supper from. YUM!! YUM!!

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; 12-04-2018 at 4:50 PM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 12th Apr 18, 5:15 PM
    • 11,197 Posts
    • 29,928 Thanks
    suki1964
    We charge 1.20 for the hens eggs, 2 for the ducks eggs - thats for 6

I don't size them, I keep the obviously small ones for us, but even those would be classed as large at the supermarket. Don't wash them or sort them, they are boxed as they come

Thats the going rate for this area. I looked at what everyone else was selling at before I priced mine. Theres a good few people around selling on the doorstep
    • edwink
    • By edwink 12th Apr 18, 5:33 PM
    • 1,954 Posts
    • 12,963 Thanks
    edwink
    We charge 1.20 for the hens eggs, 2 for the ducks eggs - thats for 6

I don't size them, I keep the obviously small ones for us, but even those would be classed as large at the supermarket. Don't wash them or sort them, they are boxed as they come

Thats the going rate for this area. I looked at what everyone else was selling at before I priced mine. Theres a good few people around selling on the doorstep
    Think you hit the nail on the head there Suki about others selling their eggs in the same area. For us we are the only ones that keep poultry around where we are AFAIK. We are in a village and tucked away right at the back of it backing on to woods.

Edwink

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 12th Apr 18, 5:53 PM
    • 11,197 Posts
    • 29,928 Thanks
    suki1964
    Think you hit the nail on the head there Suki about others selling their eggs in the same area. For us we are the only ones that keep poultry around where we are AFAIK. We are in a village and tucked away right at the back of it backing on to woods.

Edwink
    Originally posted by edwink
    TBH I would charge more, I mean look at the price of a mars bar, but its a question of getting them shifted within a week, I don't like to have them hanging around as id hate someone to come back to me saying they weren't fresh

Making eclairs as we speak to shift half a dozen
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 12th Apr 18, 8:03 PM
    • 37,628 Posts
    • 139,270 Thanks
    Pyxis
    I have been away from the thread for a while but we don!!!8217;t do any maths to work out the price - just make sure they are slightly cheaper than the shops. We profit in summer and have losses through the winter. We charge 1 for the boxes with small eggs and 1.30 for the ones with big eggs.
    Originally posted by ali-t
    It is exactly the same for us. Especially true for our duck eggs as the ducks stop laying throughout the winter whereas the hens carry on laying albeit quite a few less eggs.

Sorry I didn't answer the question you posted about this subject some time ago Pyxis. It has jogged my memory seeing ali-t's post today. OOPS I don't normally forget things like that.

Edwink
    Originally posted by edwink
    No problem! I'd forgotten I'd asked the question!

I giggled at the thought of wrinkly old hens laying wrinkly eggs!

I'd love to see a wrinkly egg!

And what's the difference between a freckled egg and a speckled egg?
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• edwink
    • By edwink 13th Apr 18, 4:36 PM
    • 1,954 Posts
    • 12,963 Thanks
    edwink
    No problem! I'd forgotten I'd asked the question!
    I giggled at the thought of wrinkly old hens laying wrinkly eggs!

I'd love to see a wrinkly egg!

And what's the difference between a freckled egg and a speckled egg?
    The next time we get a wrinkled egg I put on picture of it on the thread for you. They really do look so sweet.

A freckled egg is my name for eggs that literately have small brown freckles on them. Will put a pic of one of those on here too. They are actually speckled of course but it is normally breeds like Marans and Welsummer hens that lay the Speckled eggs and not ex batt hens.

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; 13-04-2018 at 4:46 PM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 13th Apr 18, 8:45 PM
    • 11,197 Posts
    • 29,928 Thanks
    suki1964
    When an egg is laid, the shell is soft. Not like jelly, but soft enough that you can etch in it using a finger nail. You often see hens claw marks on them as a hen moves one out of the way to lay theirs in the same box

If an older hen is taking her time getting an egg out, it causes wrinkles. Young hens often have the same problem. You can also get the most strange shaped eggs. Some are perfectly round, others rather elongated

All we can do is ensure they have plenty of grit to eat. That also can show in the shell, a brown or white egg with flecks of grey grit showing
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 13th Apr 18, 8:54 PM
    • 37,628 Posts
    • 139,270 Thanks
    Pyxis
    When an egg is laid, the shell is soft. Not like jelly, but soft enough that you can etch in it using a finger nail. You often see hens claw marks on them as a hen moves one out of the way to lay theirs in the same box

If an older hen is taking her time getting an egg out, it causes wrinkles. Young hens often have the same problem. You can also get the most strange shaped eggs. Some are perfectly round, others rather elongated

All we can do is ensure they have plenty of grit to eat. That also can show in the shell, a brown or white egg with flecks of grey grit showing
    It's such a shame that everything 'processed' has to appear perfect, even though that's at the expense of taste.
    Home-reared stuff is much more real.

One of the things I miss about growing my own veg is ending up with some very rude veg indeed!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

260Posts Today

2,168Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin