Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search

Results: How much do you spend on kitchen roll?

Under 20 per year - I don't buy kitchen roll

64.71% • 22 votes

21-50 per year - I use a mixture of the two

14.71% • 5 votes

51-70 per year - I use mainly kitchen roll

17.65% • 6 votes

71-100 per year - I only use kitchen roll

2.94% • 1 votes

101 and above! - I use stacks of kitchen roll!

0% • 0 votes

You may not vote on this poll

34 votes in total.

• FIRST POST
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 12th Jun 15, 11:47 AM
    • 9,003Posts
    • 21,788Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    How much do you spend on kitchen roll?
    • 12th Jun 15, 11:47 AM
    How much do you spend on kitchen roll? 12th Jun 15 at 11:47 AM
    Update September 2017

We started this poll a couple of years ago but the topic's always relevant. Love that over half the people who voted so far don't use kitchen roll at all! Great saving!

If you're interested in more ways to save money with re-usable products read our Recycle Week Hub.

Join in!

Back to the original post...

7-13 September is #ZeroWasteWeek. We're working with several organisations to highlight how much you could save by re-using and recycling. See the full Zero Waste Week info.

We'd love to know how much you spend on household items and whether you'd save by using re-usable versions and we're starting off with kitchen roll.

What to do:

Step 1: Use our Demotivator to work out how much you spend on kitchen roll PER YEAR!
    Step 2: Vote in the poll to tell us how much you spend on it.
    Step 3: Work out how much you'd save by using washable kitchen cloths instead (roughly 50p-1 each plus washing costs based on your own personal usage/washing)
    Step 4: Post in the forum thread below to tell us how much you think you'd save per year by switching to cloths!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 19-09-2017 at 11:52 AM.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 1
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 12th Jun 15, 12:59 PM
    • 6,487 Posts
    • 8,414 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    • 12th Jun 15, 12:59 PM
    • 12th Jun 15, 12:59 PM
    My answer isn't in the poll - less than 20 - I rarely use kitchen roll. I do buy it, as there are times when I would rather use something I can bin straight away than use a cloth which I will then need to bin, but I just bought a pack of 2 kitchen rolls which is the first time I've bought any this year, my spend on kitchen roll is probably less than 5 per year!
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 12th Jun 15, 1:37 PM
    • 9,003 Posts
    • 21,788 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    • 12th Jun 15, 1:37 PM
    • 12th Jun 15, 1:37 PM
    That's fabulous TBagpuss!

Do you use washable cloths at all?

MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    • jrfarrim
    • By jrfarrim 12th Jun 15, 3:31 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    jrfarrim
    • 12th Jun 15, 3:31 PM
    • 12th Jun 15, 3:31 PM
    I use stacks of the stuff but buy from a Cash & Carry in bulk so annual cost comes in the 20-50 category.
    Bury - 4.96kWp system
    16 x Canadian Solar 310w Poly panels, Samil 4500TL-D Inverter, Direct South Facing , Installed May 2015
    • zeupater
    • By zeupater 12th Jun 15, 5:28 PM
    • 4,135 Posts
    • 5,355 Thanks
    zeupater
    • 12th Jun 15, 5:28 PM
    • 12th Jun 15, 5:28 PM
    22 to 28 June is #Recycleweek. We're working with several organisations to highlight how much you could save by re-using and recycling. See the full Recycle Week info.

We'd love to know how much you spend on household items and whether you'd save by using re-usable versions and we're starting off with kitchen roll .....
    Originally posted by MSE Andrea
    Oh dear, starting the Poll at 20 ... exactly how much of this stuff do you use yourself ? ....

We buy kitchen roll as it comes in handy for multiple applications all around the house as well as the kitchen, but if we buy a couple of packs in a year that's about it ... so what's that ... 3(ish) ....

... yes, we recycle, and no, we don't have much of that or general waste either. Recycle bin would probably take at least 4-6 months to fill and general waste is normally 2 or 3 supermarket carrier bags full per fortnight .... newspaper & cardboard are put aside & used to light the log-burner in the winter ...

Not much waste here then ... 20 ?, really ??

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    • Sterlingtimes
    • By Sterlingtimes 12th Jun 15, 6:40 PM
    • 1,421 Posts
    • 3,798 Thanks
    Sterlingtimes
    • 12th Jun 15, 6:40 PM
    • 12th Jun 15, 6:40 PM
    Re-usable cloths are really better not used for cleaning up where there is a severe risk of infection, e.g. chicken blood. Similar, oily spills are better wiped with paper roll. We use a mixture really. I'm not sure that it is a good idea to reduce paper cleaning to a minimum. Paper is much better than wipes which do not degrade.
    Solar installed 21 November 2014 > Centre of England > 3,780 Wp > 14 *270 Watt Trina panels > 14 * Enphase micro-inverters > managed by Enlighten Envoy Hub > 19 west of south > 35 pitch > tree shading to east > iBoost > Wattson Anywhere monitoring > Ovo Smart Gateway > Schneider Electric (Drayton) MiGenie smart thermostat.
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 12th Jun 15, 10:49 PM
    • 3,116 Posts
    • 1,988 Thanks
    Ectophile
    • 12th Jun 15, 10:49 PM
    • 12th Jun 15, 10:49 PM
    None of the above.

I do use kitchen roll, but 20 a year buys an awful lot of the stuff if you buy own-brand or special offers.
    • Ben84
    • By Ben84 13th Jun 15, 6:27 PM
    • 2,933 Posts
    • 3,616 Thanks
    Ben84
    • 13th Jun 15, 6:27 PM
    • 13th Jun 15, 6:27 PM
    I've never actually bought kitchen paper. I just use newspaper. It's fine for draining fried food, scooping up spilled stuff, or lining the fridge drawers.
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 15th Jun 15, 9:23 AM
    • 9,003 Posts
    • 21,788 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    • 15th Jun 15, 9:23 AM
    • 15th Jun 15, 9:23 AM
    Great replies everyone!

Everyone's answers would be different so we've put plenty of options but I totally get what you mean, perhaps we could have put a 10 per year and under option in.

We put the higher options in for eg large families with young kids.

Andrea

Join the MSE Forum
    • HappyMJ
    • By HappyMJ 15th Jun 15, 9:41 AM
    • 20,596 Posts
    • 17,201 Thanks
    HappyMJ
    At 1 penny per sheet for the slightly better than supermarket value kitchen roll it takes quite a long time to go through 20 worth. I mainly use kitchen roll but certainly not 51-70 per year. I might use a sheet or two each day...maybe 7 a year. As has been said I also use newspaper for draining the chips and any other fried foods.

My OH prefers to use those blue all-purpose cloths at 3.6 penny each when cleaning and bin it once done. I would use at least 4 paper towels for 1 use of the blue cloth so the cost is exactly the same. There's no savings either way so I'm not bothered.

We do have a 50p cloth and that is exclusively used for washing dishes soaked in a very dilute solution (just a capful) of super cheap thin bleach 29p for 2 litres and left for the next day. The cloth lasts about a month before becoming unusable.

Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money.
    • michaels
    • By michaels 15th Jun 15, 4:40 PM
    • 20,690 Posts
    • 95,738 Thanks
    michaels
    We occasionally use kitchen roll - say 4 rolls a year but genreally use a 'j-cloth' style blue cloth which lasts about a week obivously rinsed out between each use (from a packet of 50) and also the cheapest economy tissues at 45p/box, each box probably lasts 3 weeks so I guess that costs us about 10 pa.

Then again we don't eat fried food so no need to drain anything....
    Cool heads and compromise
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 27th Jun 15, 8:29 AM
    • 15,878 Posts
    • 134,584 Thanks
    JackieO
    If I need to wipe out the grill pan I use a bit of loo roll,but I guess if I bought one pack a year I would be about right.Then only if they are reduced or on special offer.
    I recycled an old fitted sheet by cutting the frill up into squares and hemming by hand the edges. I have about twenty/thirty reusuable lavender checked squares that I use for wiping/cleaning etc and when the bag I keep them in is running low I bung the whole lot in with a boil wash and they come up clean again I have been using these for around 18 months now and saved a fortune on 'chuck-away ' paper stuff.The middle bit that I could use of the sheet that wasn't too thin I used to line my big wooden wool box that I keep my stash of wool in.This fitted sheet cost me about 4.00 in a charity shop about 8 years ago so I'd had my wear out of it, and now its got a new lease of life as cleaning cloths.

I hate waste of any sort having been brought up with rationing and 1940s/50s austerity. Nothing like the 'austerity ' of today. By todays standards I would consider most people today have more than enough.In the days of rationing even if you had the money there were few goods available to buy anyway.
    It is very true 'Waste not, want not' and nothing gets wasted in my house at all.Even my two Dds call me Frue Frugal
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Running total for four months food only shopping =126.24.Freezer stuff slowly going down at last May food shopping so far 16.12
    • marcosdjcm
    • By marcosdjcm 8th Dec 15, 12:14 AM
    • 73 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    marcosdjcm
    I switched to the strange cone shaped ones at Tesco, Ora, completely recyclable packaging, really strong and only one sheet comes off at a time and you can pull it off with one hand. Very good.

Strange looking, but great product.

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=276287974

• MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 19th Sep 17, 11:17 AM
    • 9,003 Posts
    • 21,788 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Bumping this up for 2017 #recycleweek which starts Monday 25 September.

Join the MSE Forum
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 19th Sep 17, 11:26 AM
    • 9,999 Posts
    • 9,883 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    I've not seen anyone mention microfibre reusable cloths - they are not only better than paper towels, but also can often clear mess with just water (obviously not potentially harmful messes, which need disinfecting). So they help reduce the use of kitchen cleaning products.

They seem to come and go from Poundshops, but packs of three cheap microfibre cloths should be 1-2, and last for years. You put them in the washing machine when they start looking dirty.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 19th Sep 17, 12:14 PM
    • 9,003 Posts
    • 21,788 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Great idea Cornucopia!

Join the MSE Forum
    • Exiled Tyke
    • By Exiled Tyke 27th Sep 17, 1:26 PM
    • 265 Posts
    • 835 Thanks
    Exiled Tyke
    Why is there an assumption that using kitchen roll is a bad thing? I can't say I'm an expert on the environmental affects of the stuff but surely a product which ultimately comes from wood pulp and is biodegradable is one of our lesser worries?

I use lots of the stuff for two reasons:

1. Spending time in the catering industry taught me how unhygienic cloths are. I'm still shocked by the smelly and revolting cloths are find in people's kitchens. I always use paper to wipe down and mop up.

2. Paper towel is a great way of mopping up grease. Whenever I fry I clean the pan up with paper before washing up. That way I reduce the amount of fat going into the sewage system (currently a massive problem). Also I find that these fatty towels compost nicely and seem to enrich my compost. I reckon if everyone was encouraged to use paper towel in this way it would massively benefit the environment and save costs in the water treatment industry.
    Install 28th Nov 15, 3.3kW, (11x300LG), SolarEdge, SW. W Yorks.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 27th Sep 17, 4:41 PM
    • 9,999 Posts
    • 9,883 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Why is there an assumption that using kitchen roll is a bad thing?
    Originally posted by Exiled Tyke
    That's a good question. I think that (a) we are not just talking about environmental impact, but also the financial cost; and (b) even though paper towels are inherently sustainable and biodegradable, there is a still a large cost in energy to their production. It's a similar argument to that for disposable nappies vs. cloth nappies.

Maybe there is a proper scientific paper somewhere that could give us an accurate analysis?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • sillyvixen
    • By sillyvixen 8th Mar 18, 11:21 PM
    • 3,132 Posts
    • 4,821 Thanks
    sillyvixen
    I buy kitchen roll at Christmas, as I do Christmas dinner for the family. Turkey fat makes a lot of itself, as a vegetarian I don't cook meat much, but kitchen roll is needed at Christmas!! Although a double pack will last 2 years ... as long as I can find where I have hidden gbd 2nd roll!!
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 10th Mar 18, 10:24 AM
    • 3,578 Posts
    • 924 Thanks
    Anthorn
    wood fibre
    Why is there an assumption that using kitchen roll is a bad thing?
    Originally posted by Exiled Tyke
    The assumption is that using paper kitchen roll means chopping down trees. Using recycled kitchen roll is an answer but doesn't fit in with the current eco philosophy to "not recycle - re-use".

Microfibre cloths are a good idea. But my problem with them is that they will collect all manner of germs and viruses and need to be disinfected or bleached regularly. Microfibre cloths are also not biodegradable as far as I know.

Personally I use Ecoegg Antibacterial Wood Fibre Cloths (4.99p for a pack of two from Natural Collection and Amazon) which are made from wood fibre (Viscose) derived from Bamboo and can be re-used and are biodegradable. I use them in conjunction with Method Ant-bac All Purpose (3.00p from Sainsburys and Natural Collection). I bought mine a year ago and they're still good.

I also use recycled kitchen roll for quick mop-ups which is usually any old brand I come across while shopping.
    Last edited by Anthorn; 10-03-2018 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Edited material cloths are made from and added Amazon
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,002Posts Today

7,264Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin