Premier Inn Ultimate WiFi Warning..and Praise!

Hi

I just stayed at a Premier Inn having pre-paid a non-refundable rate. A few days before the visit I got an email urging me to check online.

It said:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Why check-in online?

Save time and hassle

Provide all your guest details in advance. We'll have the keys waiting and your room ready.

Fuss-free dining

Save time on the day and add a dinner or breakfast to your booking.

Upgrade to our Ultimate Wi-Fi*

Upgrade to a faster connection: it's at least 8x faster than our free Wi-Fi, and you'll be able to connect up to 3 devices.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When I got to reception I showed them the email and asked for my free wifi upgrade as I had booked in online. They said that there was a £5 charge for this, I was just being given the chance to order the upgrade in advance.

They agreed however that the email implied that by checking in online the upgrade would be free and the duty manager kindly did this for me.

So a warning about the ambiguous wording in the check-in online email which seemed to imply a free wifi upgrade and praise for the staff for giving me the upgrade for free!

Also if you do check in online you still have to go to the ticketing machines and re-enter all the details to get the room cards!?

Vigman
Any information given in my posts or replies is intended to be of interest and/or help to members of the forum. I cannot guarantee that this is accurate or up to date.

Comments

• pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Where does it suggest that the upgrade is free?
  • Paully232000
    Paully232000 Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    Fair play to them for upgrading for free, but what was the wording that the * refers to at the end of the first line about upgrading WiFi.
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    It doesn't I use PI all the time the standard now free wi-fi is fine for most things I don't have the energy to watch a streamed film when I get there after a long drive and/or a day in the office so I just check email maybe post on here and that's it. They used to charge £3 for the standard wifi until recently. Also I never pre check in as that is a farce as OP says you still have to enter all the info to get a key. I like PI it's always clean and welcoming reasonable food and a comfy bed.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • daytona0
    daytona0 Posts: 2,358 Forumite
    Fair play to them for upgrading for free, but what was the wording that the * refers to at the end of the first line about upgrading WiFi.

Yes, that asterisk is highly suspect!
  • mattyprice4004
    mattyprice4004 Posts: 7,492 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Nowhere in that email does it say free - I think they just wanted to get rid of you.
  • stevemLS
    stevemLS Posts: 1,067 Forumite
    I wonder if the dinner and breakfast would also have been free, using the same logic?
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,361 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    The clue is in the *

it doesnt say it is free anywhere, just as adding breakfast and dinner inst free
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    The * just states "where applicable". I'd agree with all the other replies, nowhere does it state that it is free if you check in online. It says similar when I check in with BA, but I've never expected a free upgrade to business class!
  • Azari
    Azari Posts: 4,317 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I was having trouble seeing why the OP thought it would be a free upgrade, then I realised that the line 'Upgrade to our ultimate Wi-Fi' is at the end of a list of benefits that you do get simply by checking in on-line.

I don't think most people would think that meant it would be free - if it were you would expect it to be worded along the lines of: 'You will be upgraded to ...', but at least I can see how it could be construed in that way.
    There are two types of people in the world: Those that can extrapolate information.
  • vigman
    vigman Posts: 1,377 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 31 May 2015 at 7:39PM

Apologies *= Where available (and it was)

I read the email in the way Azari describes.

Also looking at the "Why check-in online" benefits it says "We'll have your keys waiting....." but having shown them the online check-in confirmation email, you still have to queue and enter all your details into the computer that prints out the card keys.

However PI are great and their pre paid price of £45 buys good service and a clean and comfy room.

Vigman
    Any information given in my posts or replies is intended to be of interest and/or help to members of the forum. I cannot guarantee that this is accurate or up to date.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure