How can I reclaim PPI from First Personal Bank PLC

Options
I'm trying to claim back PPI on a personal loan from The First Personal Bank PLC in Bristol. (Credit Agreement Regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974)
The First Personal Bank PLC changed it's name to GE Capital Bank Ltd in 1997 - using same Company Number as First Personal Bank.
GE Capital Bank Ltd changed it's name to Santander Cards UK Ltd in 2009 using same Company Number as GE Capital Bank Ltd. (all details on Companies House website)
Three months of letters and phone calls later and I can't get either GE Capital Bank or Santander Cards UK to take any responsibility for the PPI.
Please help.

Comments

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,827 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 20 April 2015 at 6:07PM
    Options
    You need to explain more

1) What are you trying to complain about (not claim back) - card or loan PPI?
    2) Who have you written to so far and what did they respond with?

As you have mentioned GE and then Santander Cards it sounds like maybe a store card? If it was a store card then pre-2005 sales you are hoping to get lucky as they were not regulated back then. You also need to complain to whoever SOLD it to you, not who provided the finance.

Note though, you are getting a little confused on the history - First Personal were BOUGHT by GE, they didn't change their name. Then GE didn't change it's name to Santander - Santander bought some parts of the GE brand.

Assuming it's a store card, complain to the store then try Santander and see if you get lucky
  • querty60
    querty60 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the comments. I am trying to claim back PPI on a personal loan I took out with The First Personal Bank PLC. It was a "Personal Advantage Credit Agreement" between myself and The First Personal Bank PLC.
    I have written to and spoken to Ge Money and Santander Cards UK and both have written back saying they "do not administer the account". Santander still uses the same Company number as First Personal Bank? Hope this is a bit clearer.
  • Nasqueron
    Options
    querty60 wrote: »
    Thanks for the comments. I am trying to claim back PPI on a personal loan I took out with The First Personal Bank PLC. It was a "Personal Advantage Credit Agreement" between myself and The First Personal Bank PLC.
    I have written to and spoken to Ge Money and Santander Cards UK and both have written back saying they "do not administer the account". Santander still uses the same Company number as First Personal Bank? Hope this is a bit clearer.

The company record numbers don't really matter, the issue is basically that as GE bought the company they take on the liabilities but didn't "sell" you anything so that's why they are bouncing it - same as Santander who bought that part of GE - the issue may be that if the loan was paid off before GE bought them they may not transfer the records - similarly, in the period between GE owning and Santander buying that bit if it was paid off before Santander bought them, they might not have records. Can't really help more than that as there seems to be little info on the web about liabilities or even on this forum.

When did you take the loan out and when was it paid off?
  • querty60
    Options
    Loan taken out 1991. Paid off 1995.
  • Nasqueron
    Options
    I suspect, though could be wrong, that was before GE bought them (and long before Santander bought them) - if paid off, chances are that GE didn't carry over your details and so your complaint would be over - certainly it was long before Santander bought the parts of GE and the account was long closed by then.

Officially Santander are responsible but I doubt they have any record of you as the loan was paid off long before they bought GE and so would not have carried over closed account details

http://www.ombudsman-complaints-data.org.uk/AToZ.aspx?SearchTerm=F
  • querty60
    querty60 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks a million for all your comments. You've been really helpful.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure