Checkmend 'red flag' phone from Cex now being held by phone recycler

Options
A couple of weeks ago I bought a phone online from Cex, and after getting something else decided to send it in to Envirofone. After they received it, they can't pay for it as it is 'red flagged' by Checkmend, and can't send it back.

I was wondering how I go about getting this resolved - so far Cex haven't responded to an email sent about this, and in the event that I can't get the red flag removed (as I'm not the original owner), is there anything I can do about this situation? I understand Cex would be reluctant to agree to a return of a phone I can't physically send back so that seems like an unlikely avenue.

Thanks.
"Kids respect landlords. I think it's the keys."

Comments

• Ant555
    Ant555 Posts: 1,569 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Do you still have the receipt? When I bought a phone from CEX, it had the imei number on the receipt.

With this as proof of the transaction you should be able to get your money back at the very least, even if its through the small claims court.

However, from the checkmend web site
    Then the recycler has an obligation under their Code of Practice to do certain things:

They must tell you there is a problem and give you the details on how to contact CheckMEND so we can tell you which records are present and how you may go about getting them updated to allow the sale to proceed.
    They must tell CheckMEND about the failure to pass the testing so that CheckMEND may inform the Police, Insurer or Network that originated the record.
    They must hold the phone for 28 days to allow you to get the records updated or the record originator to claim the item or contact you.
    If at the end of the 28 days the records have not been updated or the phone claimed as above, the recycler is deemed to be the legal owner of the handset and is required to dispose of the item responsibly.
    The recycler CANNOT in these circumstances return the item to you or pay you for it. To do either would risk offences under The Theft Act or Proceeds Of Crime Act.

So, it seems that you have 28 days to persuade checkmend that you own the phone due to a legitimate transaction (possibly by sending them a 'copy' of the receipt - make sure you keep the original)

On the checkmend web site the CEX logo is scrolling round so they must have some kind of commercial link to them.

You might need to be persistent and if possible find a real phone number to speak to CEX and/or checkmend. Don't rely on email.

hope this helps
  • dezza
    dezza Posts: 191 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks ant555.
    I understand the reasoning for Envirofone keeping the phone, however highly inconvenient it is. As for the receipt, as it was purchased online all I have from Cex is the invoice, and I kept the sticker from the side of the box they put the phone in which has IMEI on it.
    Unfortunately Cex and Checkmend are two of the only companies I know that don't have a phone number.
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Options
    CheckMend have an SMS option:
    http://www.checkmend.com/uk/sms_mobile_checking

And this might be relevant?
    http://www.kgbanswers.co.uk/telephone-number-for-checkmend-uk/17671227

But you're right - CeX are in-store or web contact only.
  • dezza
    dezza Posts: 191 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks - the telephone only goes through to Recipero Ltd's customer service - apparently they can't deal with specific Checkmend enquiries over the phone.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport