Silly student debt diary

Options

Comments

• greensalad
    greensalad Posts: 2,530 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Being driven round the bend by debt collectors today.

I found out the SLC have transferred my debt to a collection agency. I found out when they called me and said I owed £1402. It's the exact debt I owed the SLC so I know it's them.

I refused to talk via the phone and asked them to write to me. They didn't write, just kept calling.

So I wrote an email to them explaining I was happy to set up a payment plan for the debt but refused to speak to them on the telephone. I laid out the plan, requested they send me a direct debt form and all that.

They replied saying I didn't give them a reference number so there is nothing they can do.

I replied saying I don't have a reference number and it's up to THEM to provide it to me if they want me to pay the debt.

They sent another message back saying they needed my reference number.

ARGH.
  • greensalad
    Options
    Just found out I can now cancel my Orange contract and switch to 3 mobile, which will save me about £4 p/m. Plus they offer free calls to 0800 numbers. As we don't have a landline in place, I spend quite a lot of money on calling 0800 numbers for setting up bills and the like so it'll save me even more in the long run (I spent £7 on a call to the insurance company last month, which would be free on this new plan).

Going to call them tomorrow to set the cancellation in progress and then call 3 mobile to get set up.
  • greensalad
    Options
    Today

Happy New Year's Eve!

I have friends visiting this evening. We have plenty of alcohol in, I bought extra juices for making cocktails. But I need to go and buy nibbles. Budgeting £10 to spend in Asda this lunchtime.

Just spent £17.96 on plastic canvas with which to make fabric drawers so I can update our bookcase in the bedroom into a small drawer unit. I already have the fabric and thread so that is all I need. I can use any leftover pieces to make inserts for the new organisation furniture we just bought.

Other than that nothing else to buy. So spend for today is £27.96

Tomorrow

Our friends are staying all day tomorrow. We will probably buy breakfasts and lunch. We are planning roast pork for dinner. I have the meat and some veg so friends will buy the other veg. So budgeting £10 for breakfast and lunch. Nothing else to spend.

The future
    • DRY January, no booze!
    • Owe the boyfriend £75 for furniture
    • Due to get paid £500 by my part-time job, but they're all way for Xmas break at the moment so not until mid January :(
    • £35 budgeted for my birthday dinner and drinks at the end of January
    • No extra big spends this month so should be quite cheap!

February

More house shopping needing to be done. I am going to buy a new jewellery box to organise the house, £26.95. And me and OH will split the cost of a new frame for a print we were given. So £14.37 for me to spend. That means house updates in February will cost £41.32.
  • Positive2015
    Options
    Hi green salad,

Great diary...my story is very similar, my university days have left me in a pickle financially!

I've subscribed & looking forward to reading about your debt free journey in 2015!

Good luck!
  • killerpeaty
    killerpeaty Posts: 2,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    SLC is so rubbish isn't it? In my first year they didn't pay until january! Then when I became a disabled student, they sent an ergonomic assessor to my house, who then recommended that they purchase some stuff for me which they later denied!

Anyway, it sounds like you have a strong plan for this year, so best of luck!
  • greensalad
    Options
    SLC is so rubbish isn't it? In my first year they didn't pay until january! Then when I became a disabled student, they sent an ergonomic assessor to my house, who then recommended that they purchase some stuff for me which they later denied!

Anyway, it sounds like you have a strong plan for this year, so best of luck!

They're a nightmare. The very fact that they said "here is £1402 for you to spend" when I wasn't supposed to have it is bad enough!

Anyway, way I look at it is I'm only 23 and I'd rather learn the hard way now when I have less to lose than learn the hard way when I'm 40 and have three kids and a mortgage :P It's a lesson in how much life is unfair!
  • greensalad
    edited 2 January 2015 at 10:49AM
    Options
    Happy New Year everyone! I'm back at work now after a nice day off and a nice evening in :)

Yesterday

I did a naughty and spent £44 on a new dressing gown. I feel bad, but ugh, my old one was so threadbare and we don't put the heating on ever. And the new one was one from my Christmas list that went down in the sale. I shouldn't have bought it but at least I didn't massively overspend. However in other, better news...

The guy paid £400! If you read my post a few days ago about the guy who ripped a website off me. Well he offered £400 as payment and then he actually PAID. It is all going on CC No.1. Reducing it below the £1000 mark! So excited!

£400 paid off :D

Today

NSD today! Yay! I made tasty spicy carrot soup using my new food processor (christmas present) and have blueberries and yogurt for breakfast. Friends have decided to stay an extra night, so that's nice. Best friend helped me clear out my wardrobe. I was very ruthless. Plus as she is the size I used to be I was able to give some of my really nice things to her instead. Pretty pleased as it means they're going to a good home. And she says when I lose weight and can wear them again I can have them back ;)

The future

Big clear out weekend this weekend. Going to eBay some bits. Visiting family in my hometown on Sunday so £14 train fare, but free dinner!

ETA: My best friend just sent me £88, woo! She has bought me the ticket to a gig we are going to (Fleetwood Mac) in the summer as an early birthday present.

I'm going to have to leave the cash in my current account because I only have a little bit left. My second job didn't pay me yet because they're all on Christmas break. But if they pay soon, I'll put it into credit card bill :)
  • greensalad
    Options
    Still being given the runaround by Akinika Debt agency regarding the student loan debt.

SLC have sent me a letter to say they've passed my debt to Akinika. Fine, whatever. Akinika haven't sent me a letter though.

I'm actually keen to pay, I don't want this hanging over me. I came to terms with their mistake and just want it gone.

So I emailed Akinika as a first resort (not to waste money on a stamp if it can be resolved). They said they can't answer me as I haven't provided a reference number. Erm yeah, you haven't GIVEN me one.

So just wrote this letter to them and will pop it into the post tonight. I just want them to sort it out. How come when they chase us it's OK but when we chase them it's not?!
    Dear Akinika Debt Recovery,

I contacted you via email on the 30th December to discuss arrangements of repaying a debt owed to you on behalf of the Student Loans Company.

Unfortunately I cannot present you with an Akinika reference number for this debt as I believe you have the incorrect address for me. I am only aware of you acting a debt collector because of advise from the SLC, I have not had any correspondence from you.

In order to identify my account, I can provide my previous address along with the address on this letterhead:

[Old address]

If you are unable to find record of this debt than I cannot be held liable as you cannot prove the debt.

However I am keen to repay this amount and am therefore happy to present the following payment plan.

You will see on consultation with the SLC that my debt currently stands at £1276. I will pay this balance off monthly over 11 months, at £116 per month.

I am happy to commence payment whenever you can send me the direct debit details for my account.

I will not discuss this with your agents by telephone. Please only contact me by letter or by email.

Yours sincerely,
  • greensalad
    Options
    List of To Do's that I WILL sort out this evening/weekend.

1. Return two dresses bought for Xmas.
    1a. Needs to go to the post office (freepost) £25
    1b. Needs to go to Collect Plus £17.95

Should get £42.95 back and can put it all on CC no.1

2. Call orange and cancel contract. Will be a months notice. Then I can sign up with 3 at the end of the month, will save me about £6 p/m

3. Put craft things on eBay
  • greensalad
    edited 4 January 2015 at 8:13PM
    Options
    I don't usually update on the weekends but it's been a good one!

Was supposed to visit family this weekend but all trains were cancelled :( Still I saved £14 on the train fare!

Returned a hideous photo frame present. Tried to get it put onto an Amazon giftcard but they wouldn't let me. Instead purchased a nice little jewellery box. Had planned to buy one anyway, so I've saved £26.95 on buying the one that was on my shopping list for next month!

Two lots of wool on eBay ending in 2 days. One has bids at £9.99. The other has none yet. Hoping to make £25 on the lot.

Did all my tax income spreadsheets finally. I don't actually need to file until Jan 2016 but I haven't been keeping it up to date. My second job has earnt me £6386 this year, and I've managed to wrack up expenses of £1308 which will help reduce tax bill a bit. I have projected saving £100 a month, so £1200 a year. So might need to bolster that a bit but at least it's quite close! I added all the craft room furniture to the expenses as set up costs, and I've been able to add the new furniture I bought last week as an expense too because I'm using it to store all the crap my company gives me!

Letter above I forgot to send to Akinika but will take stamps to work tomorrow to post it (and be cheeky and steal an envelope).

House shopping list is looking good. Bring on 28th, I can't wait to purchase some of the odds and ends I need.

Signed up for Doddle's 2 month free trial. Worth £5.

Escalated my Quidco complaint via Twitter, they owe me £6.50 in Amazon vouchers which never turned up. Hopefully it'll get sorted soon. Going to save up all the Amazon quidco cashouts and hopefully have enough to buy something off the house shopping list.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure