Basic Rate Contact Numbers For Companies Now A Legal Requirement

Options
makintracks
makintracks Posts: 66 Forumite
edited 24 November 2014 at 12:44PM in Consumer rights
If you have ever felt put out by companies refusing to give out a standard landline number as an alternative means to contact them, especially from a mobile phone, you will be pleased to know that in June a new law on Consumer Rights now requires most companies to provide a basic rate number as a means of contact, in particular after you have purchased from them.

Directive on Consumer Rights 2011/83/EC.

On 13 June 2013 it was brought into UK law, following the directive on Consumer rights 2011/83/EC requirement, that from 13 June 2014, organisations must offer a basic rate phone number (basic rate being 01/02/03 or freephone) for customers to contact them. Failure to do so may result in criminal prosecution for being in breach of this act.
Links to directive information:
http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_MEMO-11-450_en.htm?locale=en - (7th section)
http://ec.europa.eu/justice/consumer-marketing/rights-contracts/directive/index_en.htm

I thought this information may be helpful to money savers as most companies seem to be oblivious to the legislation and some of these use income generating numbers as an only means of contacting them.

Comments

• zaax
    zaax Posts: 1,910 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    For the UK is only help lines

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-cuts-off-costly-calls

With the exception of a number of sectors, which are better governed by sector-specific rules: gambling, package travel, timeshare, and financial services.
    Do you want your money back, and a bit more, search for 'money claim online' - They don't like it up 'em Captain Mainwaring
  • George_Michael
    Options
    What you've stated isn't totally correct.
    It is only phone numbers for post contract helplines that this applies to.
    Companies can still have premium rate numbers for sales enquiries and general advice.
  • makintracks
    makintracks Posts: 66 Forumite
    edited 24 November 2014 at 12:43PM
    Options
    I understand that the after sales bit that is more important and I have edited the original post to reflect this. However, if a company is not prepared to provide a basic rate number prior to the sale (the most important time to draw the customer), I cannot see them complying with the after-sales bit either.

For example: We have a problem with a Dometic oven in our caravan. We have been trying to sort out a replacement part for the last two months and trying to get a call back is a nightmare. Each time we call them, we have to use an 0844 number and they refuse to provide an alternative.

Example two: I have just ordered a set of bedding from a company online. They only provide an 0845 number and I have not been informed of an alternative since purchasing.

Example three: I order special dog food from a company that also uses an 0845 number and have not been informed of an alternative.

The original quote I posted came from another website and I did try to read up before posting, but thought the info would be helpful.

I really do believe if a company doesn't care enough to want to provide a basic rate number before the sale, at least as an alternative to what they currently use, they won't be complying with this law.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I understand that the after sales bit that is more important and I have edited the original post to reflect this. However, if a company is not prepared to provide a basic rate number prior to the sale (the most important time to draw the customer), I cannot see them complying with the after-sales bit either.

For example: We have a problem with a Dometic oven in our caravan. We have been trying to sort out a replacement part for the last two months and trying to get a call back is a nightmare. Each time we call them, we have to use an 0844 number and they refuse to provide an alternative.

Example two: I have just ordered a set of bedding from a company online. They only provide an 0845 number and I have not been informed of an alternative since purchasing.

Example three: I order special dog food from a company that also uses an 0845 number and have not been informed of an alternative.

The original quote I posted came from another website and I did try to read up before posting, but thought the info would be helpful.

I really do believe if a company doesn't care enough to want to provide a basic rate number before the sale, at least as an alternative to what they currently use, they won't be complying with this law.

Not ideal I know.....but theres a website called https://www.saynoto0870.com that lists alternative numbers for (in my experience) most companies.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • InsideInsurance
    Options
    Similarly many modern home and mobile phone deals now include 0845 and 0870 numbers in their inclusive minutes thus erradicating the problem for 2 out of 3 of the companies that you mention.
  • AJXX
    AJXX Posts: 847 Forumite
    Options

Why do you use the word "refuse". Surely they aren't refusing to give you it, more like they simply don't have one.

They *might* have one, however it may be unable to record calls etc... so legally they can not ask people to call on it?

I'm sure they aren't just blatantly refusing.

Stop wanting your hand held and go and look for it. Surely this information was available before you made the purchase on the website. If it's such a big deal why did you order from them if you didn't see a 'suitable' number?

I've actually found many companies now have local rate or 0800 numbers as standard (at least the ones I primarily use).

I get idiots calling me at work all the time on our old 0845 number moaning about the cost to call, yet our 0800 number has been on every single page of our website for well over 1 year now :doh: People want their hand held through everything else days, if you look you shall find...
  • makintracks
    Options
    AJXX wrote: »
    Why do you use the word "refuse". Surely they aren't refusing to give you it, more like they simply don't have one.

They *might* have one, however it may be unable to record calls etc... so legally they can not ask people to call on it?

I'm sure they aren't just blatantly refusing.

Stop wanting your hand held and go and look for it. Surely this information was available before you made the purchase on the website. If it's such a big deal why did you order from them if you didn't see a 'suitable' number?

I've actually found many companies now have local rate or 0800 numbers as standard (at least the ones I primarily use).

I get idiots calling me at work all the time on our old 0845 number moaning about the cost to call, yet our 0800 number has been on every single page of our website for well over 1 year now :doh: People want their hand held through everything else days, if you look you shall find...

I do use saynoto0870 regularly although I have found in the past that smaller businesses tend not to be listed.

Either way, I made this post not as a rant but to try to bring what I thought was helpful information to the forum, which it seems from the comments it is not, so I apologise.

To AJXX -
    As a business owner I understand that customers can sometimes behave in ways that can exasperate us, but when you call your customers idiots, have you thought that may have found your company listed in a directory on the internet or somewhere where your old phone number is shown? How are they to know that you changed the number? When checking something a customer told me recently, I found a directory displaying something in such an odd way that the customer thought they were on our site when they were actually not.

Regarding the comment about the alternative to the 0844 number, I can assure you that they have refused to provide the landline number when asked politely. To the best of my knowledge, for each non-geo number there must be a landline as the non-geo is pointed to a landline. However, if there is a law requiring companies to record all phone calls (not one I am aware of) and they can only do it on this line, maybe they just need to say so when asked. I would have thought as well that the caller should be informed that the call is being recorded.

When we got a call back from someone at Dometic they did say that it doesn't apply to them as they deal business to business. Not helpful when as a consumer you do need to contact them, but nonetheless an explanation. I had to contact them as a consumer because I have been unable to get a result any other way.

I would just like to politely ask AJXX .... please consider how you phrase things when commenting in a forum. Is it truly necessary to rant at someone just because they were trying to be helpful? I truly wish I just hadn't bothered to waste my time now.
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Options
    Is it truly necessary to rant at someone just because they were trying to be helpful?

I did not read AJXX's post in any way, shape or form as a rant against you. The post merely picks up some of what you stated and offers a rebuttal against those points, and not in a noticeably unfriendly way either.

And THAT is what a discussion forum is all about. :)
  • AJXX
    AJXX Posts: 847 Forumite
    edited 25 November 2014 at 12:46PM
    Options
    but when you call your customers idiots, have you thought that may have found your company listed in a directory on the internet or somewhere where your old phone number is shown? How are they to know that you changed the number? When checking something a customer told me recently, I found a directory displaying something in such an odd way that the customer thought they were on our site when they were actually not.
    Unfortunately, if they're not getting the number from our website then that's their own problem. As I said before, customer service these days is turning more into hand holding which is wrong IMO. The correct number has been posted on our website for the last year, if the customer chooses to get the number from elsewhere there is little we can do.
    I can assure you that they have refused to provide the landline number when asked politely. To the best of my knowledge, for each non-geo number there must be a landline as the non-geo is pointed to a landline. However, if there is a law requiring companies to record all phone calls (not one I am aware of) and they can only do it on this line, maybe they just need to say so when asked. I would have thought as well that the caller should be informed that the call is being recorded.
    Companies tend to have 08xx numbers because these route into some kind of IVR/call management system. Their landline may not form part of this system - thus they don't want customers calling on it as they cant manage call volume, can't always have somebody answering it, may only use it for employes to call (sick line?)

What I'm saying is there will be a reason. They're not simply just refusing to be nasty to you. Believe me nobody working in customer service WANTS to argue with people all day and they WILL do anything they can for you as long as it's possible. In this case it dosen't look like it is.

Also 08xx/IVR systems can be independent (i.e. do NOT need a landline). So saying that all companies have a landline is simply not true. A landline is old technology as far as VOIP/IVR/Phone systems are concerned these day and don't integrate well with these newer systems.
    When we got a call back from someone at Dometic they did say that it doesn't apply to them as they deal business to business. Not helpful when as a consumer you do need to contact them, but nonetheless an explanation. I had to contact them as a consumer because I have been unable to get a result any other way.
    That's fair enough. They're primarily B2B and are not bound by consumer regs. It's not helpful, but "consumers" clearly aren't their target market so they're not bothered - they have no reason to be either if they are business to business.

They would have every right to hang up on you and say "sorry we only deal directly to businesses" but I'm assuming they have helped you in some way?
    I would just like to politely ask AJXX .... please consider how you phrase things when commenting in a forum. Is it truly necessary to rant at someone just because they were trying to be helpful? I truly wish I just hadn't bothered to waste my time now.

I did not mean for my post to come off as a rant against you. I'm just offering another POV to some of the points you raised, and that is what discussion is all about (as another poster kindly pointed out).

All too often I see people posting things like "businesses should do this" yet don't realise that it's not just THAT simple to do. Often at times people don't understand the logic behind why things work the way they do and that things can't just be changed because they say so or believe it should be that way.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure