Help with teachers pro rata pay

Options
Hi

My wife left her job before the end of the school year. She works at a school and she is paid pro rata.

The issue we are having is that they are asking us to repay some wages as she left half way through the month and she was paid for the whole month.

I understand that but she has worked 34 of the 39 weeks but has only been paid until the day she left. They are saying if she worked the rest of the year she would have been entitled to her full salary. Meaning if she worked another 5 weeks she would have been paid 12.

So she has worked 86% of the school year but they are saying she is only entitled to 79%. Surely this incorrect?

Can anyone help me please understand this?

Comments

• lindsaygalaxy
    Options
    Is she a teacher or teaching assistant?
    £2 Savers club £0/£150
    1p a day £/
  • specialboy
    specialboy Posts: 1,436 Forumite
    Options
    Is she a teacher or teaching assistant?
    Does this matter?
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We actually require all teaching staff or student facing staff to take a small assessment during interview, if they aren't capable of understanding something as simple as pro-rata we don't employ them.

Essentially it depends on the school, our wages are not paid in arrears, so if I were to leave now I would owe around a months wages. She should know when her contract/year end wage is, she should also know what her genuine hourly rate is without pro-rata to work out if she owes anything. If she doesn't she simply needs to divide her before tax yearly wage by the hours she works a year.
  • lindsaygalaxy
    Options
    Yes it does matter. Teaching assistants get paid for 7 weeks holidays and 5 weeks unpaid.
    £2 Savers club £0/£150
    1p a day £/
  • DamonF1
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. Her school year runs Sept to August. She was a cook at the school. The school is a boarding school open all year round (offering respite during the holidays) and if she was to work during the school holidays it is paid as overtime.
  • DamonF1
    Options
    GwylimT wrote: »
    We actually require all teaching staff or student facing staff to take a small assessment during interview, if they aren't capable of understanding something as simple as pro-rata we don't employ them.

Essentially it depends on the school, our wages are not paid in arrears, so if I were to leave now I would owe around a months wages. She should know when her contract/year end wage is, she should also know what her genuine hourly rate is without pro-rata to work out if she owes anything. If she doesn't she simply needs to divide her before tax yearly wage by the hours she works a year.

This is what we think but the school is saying that's not the case. They are saying that they take her salary at the pay grade divide that by full time hours times that by the hours she works (which is my undertsanding of pro rata) and then divide by 12. You get paid the same each month then regardless of how many hours you work. But as she left in June then she isn't entitled to any hours held back but if she worked till the end of July the scholl year she would have received a full months wage in August regardless if she went back in Sept.

I wish I knew someone in payroll at a different school who would take the time to point us in the right direction of a quotable resource.
  • GothicStirling
    Options
    DamonF1 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. Her school year runs Sept to August. She was a cook at the school. The school is a boarding school open all year round (offering respite during the holidays) and if she was to work during the school holidays it is paid as overtime.

So she was a cook and not a teacher?
  • DamonF1
    Options
    So she was a cook and not a teacher?

yes she is
  • fannyadams
    fannyadams Posts: 1,741 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am at school and pro rata paid.
    I work 30 hours out of 37 each week - 81%
    I work 39 out of 52 weeks each year - 75%
    the advertised salary for my job is £15K per annum
    I get £9112.50 per annum (15000 x 0.75 = ZZ then ZZ x 0.81 = 9112.50)
    this is divided into 12 monthly amounts and I am paid this money on the last day of each month. I get £759.37 per calendar month.
    technically I don't get paid for school holidays (hence 39 weeks working out of 52). Teachers DO get paid for school holidays. TAs I'm not sure. some do, some don't, it depends.
    just in case you need to know:
    HWTHMBO - He Who Thinks He Must Be Obeyed
    DS#1 - my twenty-year-old son
    DS#2 - my teenaged son
    Barkin Things - my two rescued/retired greyhounds
  • DamonF1
    Options
    fannyadams wrote: »
    I am at school and pro rata paid.
    I work 30 hours out of 37 each week - 81%
    I work 39 out of 52 weeks each year - 75%
    the advertised salary for my job is £15K per annum
    I get £9112.50 per annum (15000 x 0.75 = ZZ then ZZ x 0.81 = 9112.50)
    this is divided into 12 monthly amounts and I am paid this money on the last day of each month. I get £759.37 per calendar month.
    technically I don't get paid for school holidays (hence 39 weeks working out of 52). Teachers DO get paid for school holidays. TAs I'm not sure. some do, some don't, it depends.

Hi so would you be in the same boat if you left just before the years end? You do get holiday pay just that you have to take it during school holidays.

They sent me a spreadsheet showing how many days to be worked (39 weeks) plus 30 days holiday plus 8 days bank holiday which makes up her pro rata salary
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure