problem with dorothy perkins card ...

Options
tiredwithtwins
tiredwithtwins Posts: 475 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 13 October 2014 at 8:57PM in Credit cards
Hi,
wondered if anyone had any advice for me please? I have a Dorothy perkins card that ive had for a couple of years. I don't use it very often and have paid off the balance in full on the odd time I have used it. around june I set up a direct debit payment for the minimum amount via the online account when it was santander (I bought daughter some clothes) as I hadn't the money to pay the full amount that month. the direct debit went out in june, but I found out in august via a postal statement from santander that the direct debit hadn't been paid in july and I had incurred a late payment fee.
I emailed them, they replied saying it was their error and that they would instate the direct debit from their end. I paid £20 to nearly clear the balance, but have only just got round to rechecking tonight (I lost my log in details as I couldn't remember my password) - this is following an email this week saying my account is available online with newday. when I reregistered with this new account manager newday, I found out that the direct debit hadn't been paid and that another late payment fee had been added - I cant access the old Santander account and this newday online account only goes back to 19th sept.
ive emailed them to complain but im worried this will put a mark on my credit file (that I have worked hard to make clean) and wreck any chance I have of getting future credit.
if they don't accept my explanation what should I do? is there an ombudsman I can contact?
thanks for any advice
sue
wading through the treacle of life!

debt 2016 = £21,000. debt 2021 = £0!!!!

Comments

• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If they made a mistake to cancel your direct debit you could claim against the direct debit guarantee on the bank account, but that might not help with your credit file as it applies to the current account not credit card
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    How can the DD guarantee can help in this case when the company failed to take the DD?!
  • g6jns_2
    g6jns_2 Posts: 1,214 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,
    wondered if anyone had any advice for me please? I have a Dorothy perkins card that ive had for a couple of years. I don't use it very often and have paid off the balance in full on the odd time I have used it. around june I set up a direct debit payment for the minimum amount via the online account when it was santander (I bought daughter some clothes) as I hadn't the money to pay the full amount that month. the direct debit went out in june, but I found out in august via a postal statement from santander that the direct debit hadn't been paid in july and I had incurred a late payment fee.
    I emailed them, they replied saying it was their error and that they would instate the direct debit from their end. I paid £20 to nearly clear the balance, but have only just got round to rechecking tonight (I lost my log in details as I couldn't remember my password) - this is following an email this week saying my account is available online with newday. when I reregistered with this new account manager newday, I found out that the direct debit hadn't been paid and that another late payment fee had been added - I cant access the old Santander account and this newday online account only goes back to 19th sept.
    ive emailed them to complain but im worried this will put a mark on my credit file (that I have worked hard to make clean) and wreck any chance I have of getting future credit.
    if they don't accept my explanation what should I do? is there an ombudsman I can contact?
    thanks for any advice
    sue
    You have to follow the card issuer's own complaints procedure first otherwise the Ombudsman will not consider your case.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    grumbler wrote: »
    How can the DD guarantee can help in this case when the company failed to take the DD?!
    If you have a valid DD set up and the bank makes an error and fails to pay the DD then they are required to make it right. This happened to me once, I cancelled one direct debit online but the bank also cancelled another one incorrectly. The current account bank accepted the fault and reimbursed me the costs but the CC bank refused to amend the credit record so I put a notice of correction on it.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • oscarward
    oscarward Posts: 898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Not sure if it's still true, LLoyds TSB (as used to be) would cancel a DD if you don't use your card for a while.

I discovered this when I used my card after a year and the payment wasn't taken.
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    oscarward wrote: »
    Not sure if it's still true, LLoyds TSB (as used to be) would cancel a DD if you don't use your card for a while.

I discovered this when I used my card after a year and the payment wasn't taken.

http://www.directdebit.co.uk/DirectDebitExplained/FAQs/Pages/InactiveDirectDebits.aspx:
    The dormancy period rule was introduced as a safeguard to protect payers from Direct Debit Instructions being live on their account indefinitely. So if you should forget to cancel a Direct Debit it will be removed from the bank’s system after the dormancy period has lapsed.

Usually thirteen months to take in to consideration annual Direct Debits, but I don't think there's a fixed rule, so it may vary from one bank/BS to another.
  • tiredwithtwins
    tiredwithtwins Posts: 475 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 October 2014 at 1:29PM
    Options
    thank you for your replies - still haven't heard anything back from them, but it did say it would be within 5 working days (and today is day 4).
    It was the company that controlled the DP account - Santander - who said it was their fault, and not my bank.
    I have since had what I presume is a standard default letter from New Day, but will wait to hear from the email before I ring (which I will do Monday if I haven't heard via email),
    I will ensure I follow the complaints procedure and let you know,

thanks again :)
    wading through the treacle of life!

debt 2016 = £21,000. debt 2021 = £0!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business