Options

Comments

• MrJester
    MrJester Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    >12 Months
    I don't know how many people are in your property but:

Take the bill, divide by 10 (you pay over 10 months and get 2 months "free").
    Take that payment and divide by number of people in the property (assuming that none are students).

Council tax bill?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Helpful comment above from Purple Penguin but it needs more explaining, it entirely depends on how you and your housemates want to pay your Council Tax Bill, you can do 10 monthly payments and 2 without as purple penguin has said but also:

You can do it over 12 months.

You can do it quarterly.

You can pay it on a card at the post office.

You can pay it over the phone.

You can pay it up front.

Once you've established how you're paying, that bill is then divided up between you and you should all be registered on the voting roll at that property so you're all jointly responsible.
  • MrJester
    Options
    >12 Months
    Helpful comment above from Purple Penguin but it needs more explaining, it entirely depends on how you and your housemates want to pay your Council Tax Bill, you can do 10 monthly payments and 2 without as purple penguin has said but also:

You can do it over 12 months.

You can do it quarterly.

You can pay it on a card at the post office.

You can pay it over the phone.

You can pay it up front.

Once you've established how you're paying, that bill is then divided up between you and you should all be registered on the voting roll at that property so you're all jointly responsible.

Thanks for the clarification sauce. Haven't had to bother with paying any council tax as either was a student or with previous tenancy paid for by LL.

Heading towards where I used to live soon as I finish work to go to the previous agent and get my deposit.. hopefully they wont kick up a fuss and just hand it over or I'm gonna get angry!
  • Purplepenguin88
    Options
    Have you phoned ahead and checked the deposit is available? Often mine hasn't come back to me for 14-28days (depending on the contract), and my brother is still waiting for his after his tenancy ended 3ish months ago (landlord is being horrible about damage etc but won't actually file a claim yet). The deposit should be held in a deposit protection service, so I doubt the agent will have access to it?
    Just don't want to send you on a wild goose chase!
  • MrJester
    Options
    >12 Months
    Have you phoned ahead and checked the deposit is available? Often mine hasn't come back to me for 14-28days (depending on the contract), and my brother is still waiting for his after his tenancy ended 3ish months ago (landlord is being horrible about damage etc but won't actually file a claim yet). The deposit should be held in a deposit protection service, so I doubt the agent will have access to it?
    Just don't want to send you on a wild goose chase!

Well, I cant remember what it said on the 2-page contract but I don't think they use a deposit scheme. A flat mate left last week and demanded the deposit back and they gave her it even though she left before her contract end (due to the mice she refused to stay any longer). She was still getting her belongings out of the property with the keys and had deposit in hand.
    If I get an issue I will just throw that in their face.
  • Purplepenguin88
    Options
    Good luck! Sounds like you might be lucky
  • MrJester
    Options
    >12 Months
    Good luck! Sounds like you might be lucky

I rang them up when I finished work and they said they would be sending out a cheque on thursday for my deposit. So I'm just going to post the keys back to them today so they have them tomorrow. I'll ring them tomorrow to make sure they have sent it.
  • MrJester
    Options
    >12 Months
    Updates.. ^Got a cheque for the deposit. Put straight in bank, took about a week to clear. But got all my deposit back at least.

I'm disputing with Apple to accept a return for my computer. Being that its not all what it says to be on the tin. And it looks like a tin.
    With that money, pay off most of my debts. And breathe a sigh of relief. All my CC's are basically maxed out right now, I'm staying to paying minimum in the hope that I will be able to just pay most of it off very soon.

Put my virgin active membership on freeze, charged £10 for Dec. Was told by someone there that I can cancel it as I've moved out the area, so I've sent over proof in the hope that they will be able to do that. Found a gym nearby which is no stupid contracts.

Sorted all my xmas presents to buy, just need to buy them and try and get best deals. I already got one present, my mothers, for £15 cheaper on black friday. Good times.

Just hoping I can rid myself of this debts anguish very soon and enjoy my christmas.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I completely empathise with the anguish feeling. Money worries sometimes keep me up at night and absolutely hate being in debt…. It’s par for the course being 22/23 apparently.

Great idea with the apple refund, if the product was missold you may have a great chance of a refund.. In my experience apple customer service are second to none – including repairing my macbook when they seriously didn’t have to. Very kind of them, will keep everything crossed for you. Work on your debts in a priority order – glad that you’re cancelling that pesky gym membership – you’re in London so there should be an array of options nearby for you (I’m very jealous, can’t wait to move!).
  • MrJester
    Options
    >12 Months
    I completely empathise with the anguish feeling. Money worries sometimes keep me up at night and absolutely hate being in debt…. It’s par for the course being 22/23 apparently.

Great idea with the apple refund, if the product was missold you may have a great chance of a refund.. In my experience apple customer service are second to none – including repairing my macbook when they seriously didn’t have to. Very kind of them, will keep everything crossed for you. Work on your debts in a priority order – glad that you’re cancelling that pesky gym membership – you’re in London so there should be an array of options nearby for you (I’m very jealous, can’t wait to move!).

The apple customer service is and has been very good but it doesn't look like they will budge about the refund considering its very hard to find the right person to demand it from.

Yes gym cost me £10 at start of december as it was under freeze, but it should be cancelled by January and have to make no further payments. Recently I paid £40 in cash for a month membership to a local old skool kind of gym, does the job for me.

A lot of stress recently, currently ill but still having to work because I dont get sick pay. Been stressing about how much I'm paying on rent which is making it hard for me to pay off debts. But I cant really move to a new place again because my work is due to move next year and I'm not sure when and I'm not sure where so the most logical thing to do is stay here until I'm certain of where the new workplace will be and then I'll move closer to it in a cheaper place. So I think I just have to stick it out for now.

I decided though that I can tackle my debts right now by selling things I am no longer using, or not getting enough use out of. I posted off things yesterday and more going out today which will bring in a few hundred, and I just got paid with a small Xmas bonus with is useful.
    I am trying to find a buyer for my mac pro and looks like I'll just have to take a substantial loss on what I paid for it just to get the majority of it back, with that I can literally pay off my biggest high interest credit card. I'll get a macbook air for my computing needs temporarily and in the new year once my debts are ALL gone, look into a more powerful system again if I need it.

Got cards, personal debts and an overdraft to get rid of.
    It's hard to imagine being debt free and thinking the money I get paid each month is actually mine. That will be a good day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure