The Super September 'Back to School' NSD Challenge!

Options
marmiterulesok
marmiterulesok Posts: 7,812 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Photogenic
edited 1 October 2014 at 1:46PM in Debt-free wannabe challenges
We are a happy (and some might say mildly insane) bunch doing battle with those retailers - and there’s plenty of temptation out there at the moment. We are seriously committed to saving money, but nobody said it can't be done with a smile on your face - so we organise riotous nights out and gatecrash any function going - all without leaving the comfort of our own imaginations or armchairs!

On a slightly more serious note, we are here to help each other avoid spending for the number of days we feel we can manage to try to take back some control over our hard-earned money. What you class as a "spend'" is entirely your choice; some people will try to shop on the days DD/SO etc are paid, whilst others will not include essentials such as rent. Have a look for a post from our sponsor (and godmother of this challenge) BigMummaF, this contains some guidelines and ideas for starting you off on the challenge.

It’s amazing how inventive you get when you’re determined NOT to spend - from weird menu ingredients to surprising DIY solutions - but you know what? 99% of the time those wacky ideas work.

Just remember that mentioning the F word (f-a-i-l!) is not allowed,and anyone who does will have a swift visit from Shawn the Shark! i3dzjk.jpg

If you're new to the forum,click here to read the Intro Guide.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• marmiterulesok
    edited 3 October 2014 at 8:24AM
    Options
    So,the hunt is on!Who will be first to claim the title of 'teacher's pet',who will be crowned 'Dux',who will be first to get detention,and who will be sneaking off behind the bicycle shed for a fly puff?!

Igor,I can see you!Stop trying to get Hubert into trouble! Just because you haven't done your homework...:eek::eek:

Here are the prizes:

1st target

f3yqdj.jpg

2nd target

2m2hq94.jpg

3rd target

280jrcl.jpg

Target exceeded

5txmy8.jpg

Dux

6hufxu.jpg
  • marmiterulesok
    Options
    Some helpful suggestions and ideas to follow below from our sponsor and godmother, BigMummaF :A

NO SPEND CHALLENGE.

1. Have a good, long think about what YOU want to include in your Spend & Excluded categories.
    Some of us count everything from Direct Debits & school expenses, while others do not include things like essential Bills or emergency medical costs. If you plan what is or is not a Spend for you now, it will help you decide on a realistic Target.
    2. It is NOT a race!
    We all have very different demands on our time & bank balance, so please do not think you have to buy everything on 1st January & make it last till 31st December! A few of us have been following this Challenge for a long...long...LONG time so have developed plans & ploys to help us along the way wink2.gif
    3. Most important of all, WE..DO..NOT..FAIL!
    Sometimes we can't quite reach our Target, but that is fine :) Everyone knows how Life will try to trip us up, & that is when you will find us here to help you back on to your feet.

OK, an idea of how some of us do things.
    1. What you will or will not include as a 'Spend'.
    Some people are doing other challenges too, & don't include the money spent on those for this one.
    Some will try to shop for other bits on the days their direct debits etc go out of their bank accounts; they're the real hard core of the bunch sport-smiley-003.gif & have been l-o-n-g time NSDers so don't panic :p
    Some won't count those annoying last minute demands from school & collections as you can't plan for them in advance, likewise emergency prescriptions or visits to the vet :(
    Personally speaking & providing I don't buy anything else, I don't count parking for hospital appointments.(..but then I usually do my shopping because I'm already out :whistle:)
    General thoughts on €bay sales is the buyer has paid P&P so no cost to you :D
    2. It takes Time to reach mega-numbers!
    The First suggestion is the first, because a bit of planning will work wonders on your road to your Target. Have a look at thefirst posts each month for a hefty list of other threads that may be of help. For example, there's a few giving ideas for packed lunches so you can avoid standing in the queue at the bakers for 45mins of your lunch hour! A good incentive to tweak your healthy eating & the pounds you save will show in your bank balance AND your waistline action-smiley-076.gif
    It helps to have various 'money pots' for the different costs that happen like Scouts, dinner money, yoga, window cleaner etc etc. The idea is you "spend" all that money in one hit by..:think:..
    let's say **putting the week's bus fares into the pretty coffee jar, Jo's tumble tots [Weds mornings] in the cracked teapot & Ben's £1 coin for the gym locker [Friday lunch] in the pocket of the changing bag, on Tuesdays every week when you've got some change from doing the food shop, so an already spendy day. At least four 'spending days' condensed into one ;) (**mine's jam jars for windows, milkman & a bit towards the bills!)
    3. Any day the money stays in your pocket is a bonus!
    If you look at it as a day you beat the system, you can't help but :j so don't fret it--ENJOY! If nothing else in here, we do manage find something to make us smile :D

We have virtual outings to wonderful places that never cost us a bean :rotfl:New York, Edinburgh & Brighton have been a couple & nargle usually pilots the Tardis but you can use your own transport; my personal favourite has been a sit-on lawn mower borrowed from the cricket club :D The only thing to be aware of is Hubert the donkey who is partial to anything remotely edible but is not yet house-trained :o

And Remember;
    there are no silly questions, so don't be afraid to ask us anything!
  • marmiterulesok
    edited 10 October 2014 at 8:18AM
    Options
    Post your target,and I'll add you to the list.

marmiterulesok 10/10 achieved! f3yqdj.jpg 2nd target 15/15 achieved! 2m2hq94.jpgTarget exceeded 16/15 achieved! 5txmy8.jpg

Sundaysgirl 20/20 achieved! f3yqdj.jpg

Nargleblast 12/15

Penguin86 12/12 achieved! f3yqdj.jpg Target exceeded 15/12 achieved! 5txmy8.jpg

aartisuk 2/10

lindor10/10 achieved! f3yqdj.jpgTarget exceeded 11/10 achieved! 5txmy8.jpg

stripeyjumpergirl 12/12 achieved! f3yqdj.jpg

slowlyfading 17/20

EverTheOptimist 5/8

nearlytherenow 2/10

ChopinonaBudget 1/8

MrsGSR 0/10

vix1978 0/8

Essexbabe 1/10

kathy40uk 15/15 achieved!f3yqdj.jpg 2nd target 18/18 achieved! 2m2hq94.jpg

Knit Witch 10/10 achieved!f3yqdj.jpg2nd target 15/15 achieved! 2m2hq94.jpg 3rd target 20/20 achieved! 280jrcl.jpg4th targe t 25/25 achieved! 14aa5ua.jpgTarget exceeded 26/25 achieved! 5txmy8.jpg

fedupandskint 20/20 achieved! f3yqdj.jpg Target exceeded 27/20 5txmy8.jpg

Dux 6hufxu.jpgYaaaaaaay!!!!!!!

gothrockchic 10/11

kxc798 10/10 achieved!f3yqdj.jpg 2nd target 15/15 achieved! 2m2hq94.jpg

bizzybee 15/15 achieved! f3yqdj.jpgTarget exceeded 17/15 achieved! 5txmy8.jpg

Saver-upper 12/12 achieved! f3yqdj.jpg

Learning2Budget 12/12 achieved!f3yqdj.jpg
    Target exceeded13/12 achieved! 5txmy8.jpg

theresamum2 0/5

Nintud 7/10

Frugal foxy 0/15

moby1980 10/15

worriedpenguin 10/10 achieved! f3yqdj.jpg2nd target 14/14 achieved! 2m2hq94.jpg

t2rry 17/20

emm85 1/12

Cherry Burton 8/8 achieved! Target exceeded 13/8 achieved!

LINKYPIE2009 0/8

Suziebabe 8/12

Buffythedebtslayer10/10 achieved! 5txmy8.jpg

kerri gt 15/15 achieved! f3yqdj.jpgTarget exceeded 17/15 achieved! 5txmy8.jpg

DFF 4/10

karens100dayys 2/15

KXB664 6/12

donna dynamo10/10 achieved!f3yqdj.jpg2nd target 15/15 achieved! 2m2hq94.jpgTarget exceeded 16/15 achieved!5txmy8.jpg

DeafLeopard 0/10

Munchin 6/6 achieved!f3yqdj.jpg Target exceeded 9/6 achieved! 5txmy8.jpg

rockm87 12/13

dfbefore 30 0/8

Aphidgirl 10/10 achieved! f3yqdj.jpg

Caramel147 0/10

Claree_x 0/15

jaxsmar 15/15 achieved! f3yqdj.jpg Target exceeded 21/15 achieved! 5txmy8.jpg

applejack07 4/10

Butti 7/10

cw18 5/10
  • marmiterulesok
    Options
    In case I need it.
  • marmiterulesok
    edited 1 October 2014 at 2:29PM
    Options
    If you want to do the 'in a row' challenge,I'll add you here.Your prize is a lovely 23o7q8.jpg

marmiterulesok 4 in a row

Knit Witch 5 in a row achieved! 23o7q8.jpg 8 in a row achieved! 23o7q8.jpg

gothrockchic 3 in a row

jaxsmar 4 in a row
  • marmiterulesok
    Options
    The August challenge is here.
  • Sundaysgirl
    Sundaysgirl Posts: 1,096 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hello! Count me in again for September please - I'm on holiday for part of it so am going to be ambitious and go for a target of 20.
    MFW 2017 #123 2018: £1,852.64/£39,200 (4.7%)
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Woohoo! Back to [STRIKE]skool[/STRIKE] er, I mean school! Now, class, I hope you have all done your prep for the new term. This month we will be doing maths (counting NSDs), geography (locating those food items at the back of the cupboard), cookery (with Igor as guest lecturer showing us how to use up those leftovers), debating (arguing with family members about the merits of taking packed lunches instead of buying takeaways) and PE (squeezing those purse strings tight and jumping up and down every time someone gets a NSD).

Any requests for additions to the curriculum will be considered.

In the meantime, marmite, thank you for getting the thread set up and off to a flying start, and put me down for 15 NSD s please!
    One life - your life - live it!
  • marmiterulesok
    edited 20 August 2014 at 1:09PM
    Options
    Woohoo! Back to [STRIKE]skool[/STRIKE] er, I mean school! Now, class, I hope you have all done your prep for the new term. This month we will be doing maths (counting NSDs), geography (locating those food items at the back of the cupboard), cookery (with Igor as guest lecturer showing us how to use up those leftovers), debating (arguing with family members about the merits of taking packed lunches instead of buying takeaways) and PE (squeezing those purse strings tight and jumping up and down every time someone gets a NSD).

Any requests for additions to the curriculum will be considered.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Is Igor in charge of the tuckshop again this year?

Please,no more HM muffins and treacle toffee Igor.The school nurse is still recovering from last year's nervous breakdown! :eek::eek:
  • Penguins86
    Options
    I'm at a new school this September and I know there is a large Mr T just around the corner. However I endeavour to be very good and will meal plan as much as possible for my lunches and prepare them the night before (I started well last year!) so I'm going to aim for 12 NSDs not a massive increase but I'm hoping we might be finally on the proper road to buying a house and I know we need many things!!
    NSDs January - 3/8 2017 total - 3
    declutter challenge 67/2017
    Goodreads Challenge 0/30
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills