Anyone used surewise.com-or have other recommendations for extended warranty?

Options
I hope this is the right section to post in...

My washer dryer is now 5 years old, my extended warranty with Domestic & General is coming to an end and, of course, the price for renewing it has shot up enormously (now 170 pounds for one year).

Surewise.com are considerably cheaper (about 72 pounds for the year) but does anyone on here have any experience of using them - or can anyone suggest any other companies?

(There's a price comparison tool for extended warranties but it doesn't ask how old your appliance is so it seems to be aimed at people with new appliances.)

Thanks.

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,560 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    With the money you have spent on the warranty would you have saved enough to buy a new one?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• rebeccak
    rebeccak Posts: 138 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    With the money you have spent on the warranty would you have saved enough to buy a new one?

Not yet! The washer dryer was about 475 pounds and the warranty for the first five years was 290 pounds (during which time I had one repair). Obviously, the renewal quote is a lot higher but I guess it's a lot more likely to break down at this stage...

Anyone have any recommendations/views on different companies offering warranties?
  • rebeccak
    rebeccak Posts: 138 Forumite
    Options
    Supplementary question.....

Has anyone heard of http://www.imsureuk.com/ ?

Are they are genuine company and has anyone had any experience of them? Thanks.
  • css
    css Posts: 106 Forumite
    Options
    Any update on this people?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The OP isn't very good at maths...

You can get quality washing machines from places like Panasonic or John Lewis that come with a free 5 year warranty. £290 is an insane amount to pay for one.

Simply putting aside some money in a savings account and making use of the Sale of Goods Act would be a much cheaper option. If a £475 washing machine broke down in the first 5 years you wouldn't be paying the full cost of the repair under SoGA, and some shops would just cover the whole amount if you kicked up a fuss.

Think of it this way. The people offering extended warranties do so on the basis that you will, on average, end up paying them more than they spend on you. Therefore it is always better to self warranty stuff, and to fully exploit your legal rights.
  • andrew_12345
    andrew_12345 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We signed up to surewise.com in May 2014 but missed out on the fact that you need proof of purchase.

Then June 2015, we phoned on Wednesday but the engineer could only be scheduled for the next Monday (for a broken down dishwasher).

Then on the Monday we discovered we needed proof of purchase. (We didn't have these because the appliances were part of a new kitchen in the house that we bought).

This all to obvious afterward but when you sign up for these things online it's easy to miss and you just click through their forms.

In the end after 12 months paying insurance we couldn't claim and we'd given away £192 to surewise.com to do absolutely nothing (except rub our noses in it with their response to our appeal to their customer services).

We wrote to customer services to appeal for some kind of refund. Needless to say our appeal fell on deaf ears. The contact at surewise (almost sarcastically) cited the rules and facts in his correspondence. Yep they well have been absolutely correct but it felt like sneering behind the email explaining why we could not be refunded.

It's not what you say it's how you say it.

However, even if we did have proof of purchase - phoning them on Wednesday, and the engineer arriving on Monday isn't exactly snappy service.

I've learnt my lesson - rather put that money aside for your own local trustworthy engineer and/or replacing your appliances.

I can't recommend surewise.com based on our experience.
  • jicms
    jicms Posts: 482 Forumite
    Options
    We've had ongoing repairs, including a replacement, to our 4 year-old Neff combi microwave, initially under it's 2-year warranty. Once this expired, and even though it suffered a similar fault, we were directed to Domestic and General to pay an annual hefty premium to cover the cost of the repair. That's now expired and they're inviting us to renew for £5 month.

It's the costliest and most unreliable appliance I've ever purchased. Should have kept my cheap and reliable Panasonic.

I'm wondering whether the Sale of Goods Act would have protected us and if it's too late to enquire.

The alternative is to cover all our kitchen appliances under a company like Surewise for £16 month.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,560 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 3 November 2015 at 1:39PM
    Options
    With the max claim limits and excess to pay wont it be cheaper to replace it with something more reliable?

Higher excess payable on older items also. Is there an age limit on appliances? 8 years or is that the excess only?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• jicms
    jicms Posts: 482 Forumite
    Options
    With the max claim limits and excess to pay wont it be cheaper to replace it with something more reliable?

A replacement will cost £600+ and, as our current model has been discontinued, will be a new model that will not match our single oven.

If the oven was still available it might have been a better option but only if we'd purchased it with a 5 year warranty.

I should have kept a log of the dates and call-outs and outcomes of the repairs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure