BHS barclaycard freedom

Options
I've just been sold a BHS barclaycard freedom reward card because I was told my existing BHS MasterCard will no longer be available to me from June. I am happy to have this new card but I normally use a tesco credit card daily as I enjoy the club card benefits. I'm led to believe that the Freedom card will give me better rewards than the tesco club card credit card but I cannot seem to work out which card will give me the best rewards. Anyone else have a clue which is the best one to use?

Comments

• guesswho2000
    guesswho2000 Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Uniform Washer
    Options
    Loobyloo72 wrote: »
    I've just been sold a BHS barclaycard freedom reward card because I was told my existing BHS MasterCard will no longer be available to me from June. I am happy to have this new card but I normally use a tesco credit card daily as I enjoy the club card benefits. I'm led to believe that the Freedom card will give me better rewards than the tesco club card credit card but I cannot seem to work out which card will give me the best rewards. Anyone else have a clue which is the best one to use?

Firstly, your new card will have nothing to do with BHS, it's purely a Barclaycard Freedom Rewards credit card, seems BC are consolidating their co-brand cards.

Which one is best depends entirely on what you use the rewards for?

One thing I can guarantee, from experience, with that combination of cards - for petrol, use the Tesco CC as your Clubcard (as you'll get 1 point per £1 spend), then pay with the Barclaycard (2 freedom points per £1 spend).
  • thebritishbloke
    thebritishbloke Posts: 1,472 Forumite
    edited 17 May 2014 at 5:39PM
    Options
    Firstly, your new card will have nothing to do with BHS, it's purely a Barclaycard Freedom Rewards credit card, seems BC are consolidating their co-brand cards.

Which one is best depends entirely on what you use the rewards for?

One thing I can guarantee, from experience, with that combination of cards - for petrol, use the Tesco CC as your Clubcard (as you'll get 1 point per £1 spend), then pay with the Barclaycard (2 freedom points per £1 spend).

Freedom Points are worth a heck of a lot less than ClubCard points in reality.

1,750 Fredom points gets you a £5 voucher, whereas 500 clubcard points also gets you a £5 voucher (or £20 if you convert it to a restaurant voucher etc!). Although you only get 1 ClubCard point for every £4 spend elsewhere, so basically:

£100 Spend NOT at Supermarkets/Fuel or Freedom Partners:
    • 25 ClubCard Points - 25p
    • 100 Freedom Points - 28.5p

£100 Spend at Tesco
    • 200 Freedom Points - 57p
    Your Tesco ClubCard Credit Card does also act as ClubCard, so when you shop at Tesco you get the normal 1 point per £1 spend. But I'm not including this in these examples, as you can have that benefit with or without the Tesco Credit Card.

£100 Spend at another Supermarket or Fuel Station
    • 200 Freedom Points - 57p

£100 Spend at a Freedom Partner (Bella Italia etc)
    • 300 Freedom Points - 85.5p

So it's all hit and miss based on where you shop to be honest, that coupled with the chance to quadruple the value of your clubcard points when you convert them to vouchers. Personally I'd say the ClubCard is the better deal.

Freedom Rewards does have a lot of restaurants/retailers that Tesco ClubCard doesn't have though. Also OP may have the signup bonus of 10,500 freedom reward points if you spend £500 within 3 months. That's £30 of vouchers right there.
    Credit 'Score' - Don't buy the credit 'score' that Experian, Equifax and Noddle want to sell you. It's an arbitrary number that means nothing when it comes to applying for credit.

ALWAYS HAVE A DIRECT DEBIT SET UP FOR THE MINIMUM PAYMENT ON YOUR CREDIT CARDS, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER YOU PLAN TO LOGIN AND PAY EACH MONTH.
  • Loobyloo72
    Options
    Thankyou very much. You seem to have done your homework. I appreciate your reply.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure