Diamondbrite - is it worth it?

Options
13Kent
13Kent Posts: 1,177 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
We are buying a second hand car with the Ford Options scheme. We have been offered the Diamondbrite option on both the interior and exterior for £240. Bearing in mind that the car will be inspected at the end of 3 years is it worth having done? - We were considering buying car seat covers anyway.

Any advice gratefully received. Thanks!

Comments

• DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's worth it, bit not £240 worth, even without hunting for the bargains, you can get the paint sealant and fabric sealant for well under £50.
  • gilbert_and_sullivan
    Options
    No, if you want to DIY you should be able to buy the kits (several makes) on the usual auction site for a few pounds.

They push it as its a big earner for the sales bod.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    No, if you want to DIY you should be able to buy the kits (several makes) on the usual auction site for a few pounds.

They push it as its a big earner for the sales bod.

^^ This

After the bartering, after they knock off a few hundred on the price, they stick this extra on (amongst others) to get the sale price back up to the price on the windscreen.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,563 Forumite
    Options
    How to turn a £10 (or less) bottle of miracle fluid into £240.

Reading the blurb with spelling mistakes.... The external one protects the paint with a protective skin. I bet good old fashioned polish does the same for about £10 a bottle. Fading from UV light is virtually eliminated? Only virtually?

Upholstery protection. Puddles any spills or allows it through the fabric. So the seat foam material will be manky and smell?
    Upholstery sealant £10.99

So spend £25 and have enough to do the car many times over.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The interior one is a cleaner, not a sealant.
  • fivetide
    fivetide Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If it was that good, i.e. better than just washing and polishing occasionally, I reckon the car manufactures would install it at the factory don't you?
    What if there was no such thing as a rhetorical question?
  • 13Kent
    13Kent Posts: 1,177 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks everyone , also the car is less than 2 years old, and is a non std colour, so my brother pointed out that if the person that originally bought the car from new was bothered to have an extra added such as a non std paint job then the likelihood is that they would probably have already had it done anyway - so if that's the case as the leaflet says there's "No need to polish your car ever again!!!" :p
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    Options
    13Kent wrote: »
    Thanks everyone , also the car is less than 2 years old, and is a non std colour, so my brother pointed out that if the person that originally bought the car from new was bothered to have an extra added such as a non std paint job then the likelihood is that they would probably have already had it done anyway - so if that's the case as the leaflet says there's "No need to polish your car ever again!!!" :p

I got some triplewax seal n shine for £2 from woolworths when it was closing down, the polish was £1 and from elsewhere I got the fabric seal for £2.99, rrp prices is £6 (probably £10 now) polish £6-10 and fabric protector £10-15, any main stream brand like autoglym, carplan or such like will do the task ad it's enjoyable DIY.
  • fivetide
    fivetide Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    DUTR wrote: »
    I got some triplewax seal n shine for £2 from woolworths when it was closing down, the polish was £1 and from elsewhere I got the fabric seal for £2.99, rrp prices is £6 (probably £10 now) polish £6-10 and fabric protector £10-15, any main stream brand like autoglym, carplan or such like will do the task ad it's enjoyable DIY.

I also think it is a good chance to do basic checks on tyres, lights, screenwash etc etc.

I know you are meant to do some things each journey but most people don't and a good wash/polish is about the only time you can spend some time actually looking over the car rather than just jumping into it and heading off to work.
    What if there was no such thing as a rhetorical question?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure