We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Settling an 8 year electricity bill

Options
It appears that there has been a secondary electricity supply to my property that I have not been paying since 2005.:eek:

It was left under the name of the property building company, and the energy company was billing their head office until this summer when they started to communicate at the supply address (my home). Obviously this is the first time I became aware of it. :(

There is no doubt I used the energy, which amounts to £3700, but I was unaware there was a second supply and the energy company just sat back for 8 years and let the bill roll up and up, and made no attempt to make contact at the supply address or do some basic investigative work to see what had happened.:mad:

Now i'm in the complaints procedure to resolve it. Of course I want to pay as little as possible. I've been told there is a 7 year cap, which is something at least but only a year written off.

On the remaining balance - what sort of reduced settlement should I expect or try to negotiate? :money:

thanks
paul

Comments

• alun4
    alun4 Posts: 491 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Where was the other meter sited?
  • wakeupalarm
    wakeupalarm Posts: 1,106 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 26 December 2013 at 10:44PM
    Options
    Other customers some of which will be less able to pay will have to pick-up the tab if you don't pay it. You used the energy so offer to pay for your share of the usage.
  • paul_101
    Options
    The meters are in communal cupboards and residents dont have access to them. They are read remotely.
  • paul_101
    Options
    Other customers some of which will be less able to pay will have to pick-up the tab if you don't pay it. You used the energy so offer to pay for your share of the usage.

So you're saying energy companies can run their affairs in a shoddy way, and consumers have no recourse because "other people" ultimately have to pay?

Where does the money come from to pay the massive fines Ofcom imposes then? Are "other people" paying that?
  • alun4
    Options
    It should come down to what is reasonable. You seem happy that you have used the electricity so that is not a problem. Where you paying for the primary supply and was this anywhere near a realistic figure for your home? In other words, should you have wondered? Also, what is the position with the development company? Were you the first purchaser and they did/didn't tell the electricity supplier when they sold it to you?
  • Nada666
    Nada666 Posts: 5,004 Forumite
    Options
    paul_101 wrote: »
    Where does the money come from to pay the massive fines Ofcom imposes then? Are "other people" paying that?
    So? And?

You state that the bill was being sent to another party - I doubt you were unaware of the meter. It strikes me you were deliberately choosing to avoid bringing the usage to their attention.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,107 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Nada666 wrote: »
    I doubt you were unaware of the meter.
    This from the original post tends to contradict your assumption
    It was left under the name of the property building company, and the energy company was billing their head office until this summer when they started to communicate at the supply address (my home). Obviously this is the first time I became aware of it....

.....but I was unaware there was a second supply
    plus
    The meters are in communal cupboards and residents dont have access to them. They are read remotely.
  • alun4
    Options
    So? And?

I doubt you were unaware of the meter.

I would think it quite possible to be unaware of which meter relates to which property in many communal supply situations.
  • paul_101
    paul_101 Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 26 December 2013 at 8:08PM
    Options
    So? And?

So there are ways that the energy company can reduce my liability without it being thought of as having a direct impact on other peoples bills.
    You state that the bill was being sent to another party - I doubt you were unaware of the meter. It strikes me you were deliberately choosing to avoid bringing the usage to their attention.

I cant imagine why you think I was aware of a meter in communal cupboards I am not allowed access to (unless I specifically request so from the leaseholder), but I think we would all prefer the discussion continued on the basis that I am telling the truth.
  • paul_101
    Options
    alun4 wrote: »
    It should come down to what is reasonable. You seem happy that you have used the electricity so that is not a problem. Where you paying for the primary supply and was this anywhere near a realistic figure for your home? In other words, should you have wondered?

The primary supply accounts for more than enough of what I would expect to pay for electricity, in the region of £300 a QTR for a small flat. The secondary supply amounts to £100 per QTR. But the building has very high energy efficiency and I really did not know what bill to expect having previously being in a victorian property with single glazed windows the size of the Queen Mary, and other changes such as bath to shower and all electric cooking.
    alun4 wrote: »
    Also, what is the position with the development company? Were you the first purchaser and they did/didn't tell the electricity supplier when they sold it to you?

Yes, I was the first purchaser. The developer obviously didn't tell the energy company. They can't be put in the line for any liability as they went bankrupt which is probably why they chose to ignore the bills they were being sent for my property - they were ignoring all their bills.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport