Buying as an Ebay guest then claiming lost

Options
I have a buyer who bought an item, and is now emailing to say it has not arrived.
However she bought it as a 'guest' and is contacting me using a different user name.
I have asked her to open a case so that I can refund, can she do that under her guest i.d.?

Comments

• steveE2
    steveE2 Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    She cannot open a case with ebay but can with paypal if she calls them.
    You could refund via the original paypal transaction.
  • celestius
    celestius Posts: 1,090 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    steveE2 wrote: »
    She cannot open a case with ebay but can with paypal if she calls them.
    You could refund via the original paypal transaction.

Ok will do. does that mean she can't leave me feedback?
  • steveE2
    steveE2 Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    She will still be able to leave feedback as she must be an ebay member to bid,unless it was a BIN item.
    You should have a buyer id in your ebay sold items
  • celestius
    celestius Posts: 1,090 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Yes I have a user i.d. - just confused as to why she does not use it to contact me!
    Refunded now anyway - and blocked.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,298 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    celestius wrote: »
    Yes I have a user i.d. - just confused as to why she does not use it to contact me!
    Refunded now anyway - and blocked.

Did she open a case?

Personally I would not have refunded until such time a case was open- there is an outside possibility that she may well be forced to use a guest account due to too many INR claims so might not have risked opening another one if it were dodgy.

I had my first INR for ages recently, but there were a couple of things that made it unusual and got my scam radar going. Obviously I have no objection to refunding if a parcel has not arrived but this one felt wrong, I asked the buyer to open a formal case and promised an instant refund as soon as she did so- as at now, 12 days later I have heard nothing more.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • sequence
    sequence Posts: 1,877 Forumite
    Options
    There is no such thing as a guest ID on ebay. I think you've been scammed.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    sequence wrote: »
    There is no such thing as a guest ID on ebay. I think you've been scammed.

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/buy/buying-as-guest.html
    You can buy some items without registering as an eBay member, by using Buy it now, and you can see your order details by following the link in your confirmation email. The order details page shows your purchased items, along with shipping status and tracking numbers. You can click Postage Status to see the current location of your items.

When buying as a guest:

The price of the item is less than £500.

You purchase the item using Buy it now.

You pay for the item using PayPal or a debit or credit
    card.If you decide to register when buying your item, you can do it
    by simply choosing a password at the end of the checkout
    process.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,298 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sequence wrote: »
    Well, I never knew that :)

I frankly can't see the point of it, but no doubt ebay have their reasons.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    It's probably just a marketing ploy to try to entice new members.

Some people who have never bought via ebay might be a bit worried about having to register and give all their personal details so decide to use the guest option instead.
    However, once they have done this and see that in general, ebay is not really difficult to use, they might decide to register and then use it more in the future.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure