ReAssure Ltd

Options
HI

I ve had a letter from ReAssure Ltd saying they want to give me some money that is owed to me from an insurance I had previously had with another company that they bought. They are aking for details of the insurance policy and the details of my bank account to refund the money to.
I dont believe it (its too good to be true!) However I would hate to miss out because of my mistrust ....
I will check my documents at the weekend as I think I did have a pension (not insurance) briefly and think the money is about the same as they are quoting

Anyone else had a similar letter - is there any way of checking this is legit?

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    previously known as Windsor Life
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • mania112
    mania112 Posts: 1,981 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ReAssure have bought business from the following providers:

Aegon
    Aetna
    Alico
    Barclays Life
    Combined Life
    Continental Life
    Crown Life
    GAN
    Gresham
    Grosvenor
    Lifetime
    New Zealand Life
    NM Pensions Tomorrow
    Reassure UK (Zurich)
    Tyndall Life
    UK Life
    Windsor Life

If you have had a policy with any of the above in the past, that would help you recognise it's legitimacy, but you're best off calling them regardless.
  • JohnB47
    JohnB47 Posts: 2,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Perhaps they could send you a cheque? I would be wary of giving my bank account details too.
  • tetleygail
    Options
    Have phoned them.
    Wanted to do security questions....address, date of birth then asked for my NI number.....
    When I explained that I was a little concerned and didnt want to give any more information until I knew what it was about
    Them:well can you tell me when you took your policy out
    Me:Which policy I have several insurance policies- car, house etc
    Them: I cant tell you until you give me more details of who you are
    ME: thats how I feel - i cant give you any more of my details until I know what this is about
    them: you can check our web site
    Me; But anyone can put up a web site
    Them; well we did a search and came up with your address
    Me: Yes Ive lived here for 10 years
    Then he mentioned that the policy was in a previous address
    Me: What address do you have
    Them; Sorry I cant tell you that.
    He mentioned it was a joint pension - I have NEVER had a joint pension
    We just kept going around in circles so I ended the call
    To be honest he didn't sound very confident and my antenae was twitching
  • JohnB47
    JohnB47 Posts: 2,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 November 2013 at 12:01PM
    Options
    tetleygail wrote: »
    Have phoned them.
    Wanted to do security questions....address, date of birth then asked for my NI number.....
    When I explained that I was a little concerned and didnt want to give any more information until I knew what it was about
    Them:well can you tell me when you took your policy out
    Me:Which policy I have several insurance policies- car, house etc
    Them: I cant tell you until you give me more details of who you are
    ME: thats how I feel - i cant give you any more of my details until I know what this is about
    them: you can check our web site
    Me; But anyone can put up a web site
    Them; well we did a search and came up with your address
    Me: Yes Ive lived here for 10 years
    Then he mentioned that the policy was in a previous address
    Me: What address do you have
    Them; Sorry I cant tell you that.
    We just kept going around in circles so I ended the call
    To be honest he didn't sound very confident and my antenae was twitching

I think you've done absolutely the right thing. There is no sensible reason why he could not have given you general policy details (just a company name) or general details of the old address (eg just a Town and/or Street name).

I agree with you - sounds fishy. Perhaps others will advise what you can do now, if you decide to pursue it.

Edit: I seem to remember people being given advice on this forum as to how they could search, themselves, for old pensions/insurance policies that they'd lost track of. Hopefully someone will chip in with advice.
  • mania112
    mania112 Posts: 1,981 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    tetleygail wrote: »

Joint pension is not possible. Perhaps it's not a pension they're talking about?

What number did you ring? I mean, if you're calling them - you are calling ReAssure... so there would be no reason to suspect anything.

If you use a number found here: https://www.reassure.co.uk/contact-us/pages/welcome.aspx

It's fine, I can [re]assure you of that.
  • fact_finder
    Options
    Dear all

Reassure just don't like paying. had a claim in in 2010 and still fighting to get any money from then. from what i can see there objective is to keep giving people the run around. Ask the same questions over and over, get different staff to deal with the stuff. I took policy with barclays life and i am sure so many people must be in the same boat.

there is a company called reassure America and i don't know if they are related but seems thy over there are pulling the tactics. I give these guys 0/10 if i knew this before i made any claim i would have. gone to some other decent insurance company.

so people be warned and if you insurance policy has been passed to to these guys then i would seriously look at alternatives. i would like to here form any other people who they are not paying. reassure need to exposed big time.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,395 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    there is a company called reassure America and i don't know if they are related

no.
    I give these guys 0/10 if i knew this before i made any claim i would have. gone to some other decent insurance company.

Reassure are closed for business.
    i would like to here form any other people who they are not paying. reassure need to exposed big time.

Dealt with them a number of times. Sometimes slow with some of the legacy provider plans but nothing too bad nowadays. Sometimes require old fashioned admin requirements that others have moved on from but that is not unusual for old closed insurers.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,439 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Joint pension?

Did he mean a pension with spouse benefits? An old protected rights policy?

Did you perhaps contract out of SERPS at some point?

Have you checked your documents for a policy taken out with any of the insurers mentioned above when you lived at a former address?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,395 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Its a revival of a 2 year old thread.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure