Hackers could turn toasters into Bitcoin miners as value rockets

Options
If you have any so-called "smart" devices in your home you could be inadvertantly be mining Bitcoin for someone else.

http://www.fb1.pw/Bitcointurntoasters

As comical as this story is, it does highlight the need to be generally vigilant when it comes to computer security.
Keep anti-virus software up to date and make sure your computers are free of malware.

Also watch out for botnets and don't click on suspicious links received with e-mails for example.

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    dryhat wrote: »
    Keep anti-virus software up to date and make sure your computers are free of malware.

Also watch out for botnets and don't click on suspicious links received with e-mails for example.

captain-obvious-5-nobrain1.jpg
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,572 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Dont click visible links in peoples posts either.... Dodgy website.

DO NOT CLICK....
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Loughton_Monkey
    Options
    If you have any so-called "smart" devices in your home you could be inadvertantly be mining Bitcoin for someone else.

http://www.fb1.pw/Bitcointurntoasters

As comical as this story is, it does highlight the need to be generally vigilant when it comes to computer security.

Phew!..........

I'm eternally grateful for the warning. My toaster is in the bin already. Make no mistake, if any of your bitcoins go missing, it won't have been my toaster at fault.

Following your post, I made enquiries and learned that the gin & tonic I have spilt into the keyboard over the years tends to kill botnets. They don't like alcohol. But the other advice was more constructive - offering me a little app that will 'patrol' my SSL socket layers (whatever that means) and spot any botnets at work in the small hours. Apparently they won't stop them, but just ensure that I get a decent commission out of anything they mine...

.... large gin & tonics all round....:)
  • dryhat
    dryhat Posts: 1,305 Forumite
    Options
    ... and stop visiting all those !!!!!! sites while your missus is out having her hair done or whatever.
  • And remember, don't click links you're not sure about
  • Loughton_Monkey
    Options
    ... and stop visiting all those !!!!!! sites while your missus is out having her hair done or whatever.

Sadly, Mrs LM is not on good terms with her hairdresser currently. She refuses to take bitcoins.
  • dryhat
    dryhat Posts: 1,305 Forumite
    Options
    Sadly, Mrs LM is not on good terms with her hairdresser currently. She refuses to take bitcoins.

Still, at least your favourite shop does...

;)
  • RichardD1970
    Options
    And remember, don't click links you're not sure about

That's disgusting :shocked:, how could you post that on a family forum, I have a good mind to report you. I have a feeling the police may need informing as well. ;)
  • DervProf
    DervProf Posts: 4,035 Forumite
    Options
    I shall now cook bread under the grill.

(Only after I`ve had MaCoffee).
    30 Year Challenge : To be 30 years older. Equity : Don't know, don't care much. Savings : That's asking for ridicule.
  • ruggedtoast
    Options
    I find bitcoins vaguely annoying for some reason.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure