Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 18th Sep 13, 12:28 AM
    • 29,464Posts
    • 12,111Thanks
    forgotmyname
    BT rep maybe? Who is 08005875290 ?
    • 18th Sep 13, 12:28 AM
    BT rep maybe? Who is 08005875290 ? 18th Sep 13 at 12:28 AM
    As the title. Who are 0800 587 5290 ??

Had several calls at all hours. Answerphone got it 1st message about calling an 0844 number and going to bt.com/smstext to disable text services.

I have been on the TPS for a long time and also disabled my SMS service on my line.
    I double checked and called the automated BT number and it says SMS messages are disabled on this number. So its active

As i googled the number the phone rang with an indian guy who didnt have a clue why he phoned me.
    Asked him who he was calling who did he want to speak to and he err'd and tried to think of a name. H....eerrr...

Bought some new phones that block withheld and unknown numbers as well as international.
    So hopefully thats a load of the spam/scam calls stopped dead.

Can the BT rep confirm is this is a BT number? And for some reason its bypassing my SMS block.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
Page 1
    • OldGreyFox
    • By OldGreyFox 18th Sep 13, 3:51 AM
    • 1,351 Posts
    • 642 Thanks
    OldGreyFox
    • 18th Sep 13, 3:51 AM
    • 18th Sep 13, 3:51 AM
    Thats one of the BT Text Delivery Numbers if you call it its a free call it will confirm that.
    Google the number and your see a fair few comments about it.

Normally to stop it .

From your landline, dial another BT Freephone Number 0800 587 5252
    Select Option 1, then Option 5 to disable all messages.
    Your request should be activated within 30 minutes.
    Last edited by OldGreyFox; 18-09-2013 at 4:12 AM.
  • BT company representative
    • 19th Sep 13, 3:34 PM
    • 19th Sep 13, 3:34 PM
    Hi forgotmyname

Strange one! The number seems legit but I am not sure why the calls are coming through to you all of a sudden. I think we'll need to have a closer look at this.

Could you email me using the link in my profile please?

Cheers

Craig
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of BT. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • Ypaymore
    • By Ypaymore 19th Sep 13, 3:37 PM
    • 2,702 Posts
    • 1,032 Thanks
    Ypaymore
    • 19th Sep 13, 3:37 PM
    • 19th Sep 13, 3:37 PM
    Hi forgotmyname

Strange one! The number seems legit but I am not sure why the calls are coming through to you all of a sudden. I think we'll need to have a closer look at this.

Could you email me using the link in my profile please?

Cheers

Craig
    Originally posted by BT company representative
    If you google 0800 587 5290 your see it happens fairly frequently.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 19th Sep 13, 11:14 PM
    • 29,464 Posts
    • 12,111 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 19th Sep 13, 11:14 PM
    • 19th Sep 13, 11:14 PM
    Thats one of the BT Text Delivery Numbers if you call it its a free call it will confirm that.
    Google the number and your see a fair few comments about it.

Normally to stop it .

From your landline, dial another BT Freephone Number 0800 587 5252
    Select Option 1, then Option 5 to disable all messages.
    Your request should be activated within 30 minutes.
    Originally posted by OldGreyFox
    Done that years ago, When i dial the number again. It says SMS text service is disabled on this number.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

• forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 19th Sep 13, 11:26 PM
    • 29,464 Posts
    • 12,111 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 19th Sep 13, 11:26 PM
    • 19th Sep 13, 11:26 PM
    BT Rep (Craig) Form sent. Thanks.

• forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 23rd Jun 14, 8:09 PM
    • 29,464 Posts
    • 12,111 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 23rd Jun 14, 8:09 PM
    • 23rd Jun 14, 8:09 PM
    And again. Number appeared on my missed call list. In addition to the BT6510 phones i have a dedicated call blocker now also. So that is specifically added to the blocked list.

They get one ring and it cuts them off. Its funny to see the string of numbers they try and use. International, Bangladeshi numbers and unknown/withheld.
    Many tries within minutes of the 1st one.

very strange...

Who has links with nuisance calls from Bangladesh?

BT? Lowells debt recovery? Who suddenly says i owe them money on a debt settled 8 years ago.

• freebird65
    • By freebird65 12th Oct 14, 7:14 AM
    • 1,731 Posts
    • 2,682 Thanks
    freebird65
    • 12th Oct 14, 7:14 AM
    • 12th Oct 14, 7:14 AM
    I had a call from this number 10 mins ago - on a Sunday morning! It told me I had a text from 08435 437 397 (I think) and to press 1 to listen - I didn't but am slightly curious who rings at 8am on a Sunday as I'm also subscribed to TPS etc.
    • st999
    • By st999 12th Oct 14, 1:45 PM
    • 1,261 Posts
    • 692 Thanks
    st999
    • 12th Oct 14, 1:45 PM
    • 12th Oct 14, 1:45 PM
    I didn't
    Why?

It doesn't cost anything.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 12th Oct 14, 1:49 PM
    • 10,801 Posts
    • 17,005 Thanks
    worried jim
    OMG! Someone has sent a text at 8am on a Sunday morning. Forget Ebola, forget ISIS, forget Milliband we are all doomed, doomed I tell you. The end of the world is nigh.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • Daveswife
    • By Daveswife 10th Dec 14, 7:26 AM
    • 301 Posts
    • 367 Thanks
    Daveswife
    2:20 am this morning!!! WTF??? Call from 08005875290. Not good BT
    Blessed are the vegetarians.
  • LJSoar
    0800 5875290
    I was woken by this number at 7am, I phoned the number given in one of the answers here but it seems our BT text messaging is scheduled for between 11am and 5pm so all a bit of a mystery why I'm getting the calls.
    • donnac2558
    • By donnac2558 11th Feb 15, 12:34 PM
    • 2,805 Posts
    • 2,542 Thanks
    donnac2558
    Hello I am with Virgin so why am I getting SMS messages from BT?

Just had two today. Will the advice given about about stopping work on a Virgin Media account??

Okay phoned Virgin and hopefully sorted.
    Last edited by donnac2558; 11-02-2015 at 12:45 PM.
    • robin58
    • By robin58 11th Feb 15, 9:54 PM
    • 2,705 Posts
    • 3,269 Thanks
    robin58
    What I learned a lot lately with my recent interactions with BT, is that BT works in mysterious ways with some things.

BT could give a paranormal club many years of work.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • Campanula
    • By Campanula 18th Mar 16, 6:42 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Campanula
    730am call when father very ill
    My heart rate has still not returned to normal after getting a call from this 08005875290 number just before 730am this morning. My father is 97 and very ill. I thought this was The Call. I raced to answer it - no one there. Infuriating and really upsetting.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 18th Mar 16, 7:02 AM
    • 35,629 Posts
    • 41,775 Thanks
    Browntoa
    Just ring 0800 587 5252 and then listen to the options, select option 1 to let you change when the texts are sent (there is normally a curfew between 11 PM and 8 AM but you can change that). I chose option 5 at that point to turn off ALL text messages as we don't want them and don't have a text enabled phone.
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Campanula
    • By Campanula 22nd Mar 16, 6:22 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Campanula
    Another call from 08005875290 at 0716 this morning. Using the method suggested to stop text messages hasn't worked, more's the pity.
    • savemoney
    • By savemoney 24th Mar 16, 12:31 PM
    • 13,109 Posts
    • 11,692 Thanks
    savemoney
    I have had numerous calls (had it flagged as parcelforce as they what net came up with) from that number since 2015 and used the number 08005875252 twice now to stop these calls but they still come

if it was from parcelforce then I wasn't at any time expecting a parcel nor received one from them, so who really is it? and why are they abusing the phone network like this? Why isnt BT stopping these calls despite clicking the options as mentioned above.

Log from truecall.

Last edited by savemoney; 24-03-2016 at 12:41 PM.
    • Grimaldi
    • By Grimaldi 1st Jun 16, 4:26 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Grimaldi
    Nuisance calls from 08005 875290
    Having recently reverted back to BT from Virgin, I have received several calls from 08005 875290 informing me in an automated voice that I need to contact a further number to listen to an SMS (and blah blah blah.).
    Not suffering fools or nuisance callers lightly, (I also have a True Call call blocker in place, which has for the last 5 years worked brilliantly), I just put the phone down and proceeded to ensure that this number was added to my "zapped" list. Having done this, I then googled the number and found these threads on mse (big fan) and all the references to it being owned/used by BT. Well a few hours later, going through my emails, imagine my surprise when I had an email from the "BT Shop" inviting me to purchase their latest nuisance call blocking system titled; " Fed up of nuisance calls? The BT8600 Advanced Call Blocker is here to help!" ......... and all for the princely sum of 34.99. Coincidence ??? what do you think !!
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 29th Jun 16, 2:16 AM
    • 29,464 Posts
    • 12,111 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    I moved to Plusnet and no more calls from this number, I also had the call blocker active so maybe they gave up.

BT tried enabling the SMS service and then disabled it again and it didnt cure it.

Either a fault in their system or something/someone overriding it.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

118Posts Today

1,393Users online

Martin's Twitter